What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Pre-Season

callmack1

Staff member
Inglis - Hard being in rehab: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league

WRITTEN BY ADAM LUCIUS (Sporting News)
Liam Knight didn’t know he was at the centre of one of the big off-season scandals.
Totally oblivious.
As the ‘Trading Places’ remake between Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold got down and dirty prior to Christmas, Seibold wrote an email to Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly accusing Bennett of recruiting players for 2019 despite - at that stage - not starting at Redfern until 2020.
Knight was one of the names Seibold put forward in his document as Bennett led us on a merry dance about his intentions for this season.
The email helped bring things to an end and the coach swap was done before the year was out.
“I didn’t even see it. My name was getting tossed around? I had no idea,” a surprised Knight toldSporting News .
“I got a text asking me ‘are you going to Souths?’ and I said, ‘that’s the first I’ve heard of it’.”
While the exact timeline may be in dispute, Bennett did want Knight and the young front-rower is now at Redfern in the latest re-birth of a career that has taken him from Manly to the Roosters, down to Canberra and now up to South Sydney.
And in all that time, just 10 NRL games.
Yet, in that short period of time - less than 800 minutes all up - he produced enough in one game to convince the game’s most successful coach he was worth a punt.
“Wayne called me and I’m thinking ‘why’s Wayne Bennett ringing me?’” Knight told Sporting News.
"He saw me play in a game and said ‘I like how you go about it. If you want an opportunity there is one here. I’m not just going to hand you a jersey but I see something in you I like. I think I can turn you into the sort of player you want to be’.
“How could you say no to that?”
So Knight bid his Canberra teammates a hasty farewell and packed his bags for NRL destination No.4.
It wasn’t the way he planned it.
“I’ve definitely been to too many clubs for my age - four in four years was not my ambition,” he admitted.
“I’ve made a few mistakes in my younger years. I lost my way and my passion a bit and carried on a bit.”
Knight is mainly referring to the drink-driving/speeding charges he landed in 2016 when starting out at Manly.
He became known as the Aerogard Kid after spraying insect repellent in his mouth in the hope of reducing his breath test reading.
The Sea Eagles told him to buzz off.
A six-month stint at the Roosters amounted to nothing before nine games for the Raiders in 2018 finally gave him some momentum.
“I’ve learnt and grown from those mistakes,” 24-year-old Knight insisted.
“I want to push that other stuff aside and do something that brings a bit of pride.”
Enter the Burgess brothers.
They have taken a special interest in the new kid.
“You can lose your way because you don’t have things in place. It’s easier to do the bad things rather than the right things sometimes,” Knight said.
"But these guys are big on routine, particularly Sam.
“I’m now in a routine and it’s been great for my personal development.”
Now the fight is on to win a spot in Souths’ star-studded pack.
Asked if he had a message for Bennett ahead of his first game for the Bunnies, Knight paused before declaring: “I’d love to prove you right.”

callmack1

Staff member
GI - I need to earn back respect to regain Kangaroos berth: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/24...-earn-back-respect-to-regain-kangaroos-berth/

from Zero Tackle,

Can “Super Coach” Wayne Bennett take Souths back to the top?

I’m sure South Sydney fans won’t need reminding but their 2018 season ended one game short of a Grand Final appearance – at the hands of bitter rivals the Roosters.

Although the full time scoreline read 12-4 to indicate a close contest, in reality, the Roosters were the far superior team.

That’s not to say they blew their traditional rivals off the park, but you never felt like the Rabbitohs would be the team to tackle the Storm that next Sunday.

Despite the loss, no one can say that the Bunnies had a poor 2018. Quite the opposite.

Given that the entered the new season with a rookie coach and were seen as relative outsiders, I’d argue that they did very well.
A side headlined by Burgess, Reynolds and Inglis finished equal top of the competition in the regular season before pushing the red hot Storm to the limit in their opening finals game.

They did make hard work of their week two finals game but ultimately bounced an in form and confident Dragons side coming off a monster win.

Again though, you never really got the feeling that they were going to beat the Storm or Roosters on the final day of the season.

Their 2019 prospects took a hit before a ball was even kicked in 2018 when Angus Crichton announced he was signing for the Roosters.

Crichton went on to become a New South Wales and Kangaroos level second rower.

They’ve also said goodbye to 2018 top try scorer Robert Jennings.

So what have the Bunnies done to ensure that they can go that one step forward in 2019?

Step forward the most success NRL coach of all time. One Wayne Bennett.

Souths took the unusual step of signing the former Broncos and Dragons Premiership winning coach despite for 2020 and beyond, given that it looked unlikely that Anthony Seibold would re-sign.

Despite leading the club to a brilliant season in his first year at the helm, the plan always looked to be to move Seibold on once Bennett’s name became a possibility.

67 events of will he/won’t he later and the swap was made for 2019, thus ending one of the most ludicrous off-season stories in recent memory.

The Bunnies arguably overachieved in 2018 by making the prelim final, however I’d find it very hard to lodge a case against them now having a side capable of lifting the ultimate prize on early October.

With an all star centre or fullback in Greg Inglis, the game’s best attacking number nine in Damian Cook, three Burgess brothers in the middle of their pack, two star halves in Reynolds and Walker, and the quickly emerging Cam Murray, their is a genuine title-winning nucleus right there.

Throw in Dane Gagai, youngsters such as Campbell Graham and Braidon Burns as well as the seemingly ageless John Sutton and anything other than a top four finish will be seen as a failure.

The above said, for mine, the Bunnies best weapon comes in the form of their coach.

Seibold had a brilliant 2018 season but I’ve found few Bunnies fans who believe they came out as losers in the recent trade. Sure, Seibold is much younger than the seven time title-winner, but Souths are looking for success now.

In terms of their 2019 Premiership chances, the Bunnies are now better placed under Bennett.

This is simply due to the fact that Bennett has shown time and time again that he knows how to get sides to the decider, and he knows how to win them.

By all rights Bennett should have eight titles under his belt, if not for literal last minute Michael Morgan magic in 2016.

That golden point loss was his only defeat in eight visits to the big dance.

Although Bennett failed to see through his ultimately disappointing role with the Knights, he will be better remembered for taking a talented yet unspectacular Dragons team to a drought breaking title win.

I mean no disrespect to the Dragons team of 2010 but Bennett was able to get more out of that squad of players than their reputations probably suggested.

I’d certainly argue that the South Sydney squad of 2019 is superior.

So what is it that Bennett will do so differently to Seibold to take Souths back to the promised land?

I don’t know … but then again I also don’t have 809 first grade names under my coaching belt, nor do I have almost a decade worth of silver wear.

If there are any weaknesses in the games of South’s best and brightest, Bennett and his team will find them. They’ll limit them and in some cases turn them into strengths.

Bennett has a history of turning decent first graders into stars.

Again, with all due respect to Ben Hornby and Jamie Soward, but I can’t see many other coaches who can win a title with perhaps the fifth or sixth best halves combination in the league.

Cronk and Keary combined to form the best halves combo in 2018. I’d say that Munster and Croft would have been in that 5th to 8th category but they ultimately fell short. Cronk and Munster didn’t …

If Souths fail to fire in 2019 I’m very confident in suggesting it won’t be through any coaching inexperience.

There are few better at extracting the best out of his players and as shown by his incredible record of being able to sign superstars, players want to play under him.

Despite the loss of Crichton and Jennings, South look just that little bit stronger heading into the new season under Bennett’s watch.

callmack1

Staff member
A New Era Begins: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/05/a-new-era-begins/

Revealed - Wayne Bennett will play Greg Inglis opposite Latrell Mitchell at centre in Round 1: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/0fbc8ffbd84f37726352bf094ab0dbc5

Where it could fall down for your team during the 2019 Season: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/bfb69e5fe1c8293f9e8e0b4cdfce0b42

Story behind Wayne Bennett’s unceremonious Broncos exit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/bebc67e3de2e4b4f699528aec53f3a14

Oldmate

Juniors
A New Era Begins: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/05/a-new-era-begins/

Revealed - Wayne Bennett will play Greg Inglis opposite Latrell Mitchell at centre in Round 1: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/0fbc8ffbd84f37726352bf094ab0dbc5

Where it could fall down for your team during the 2019 Season: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/bfb69e5fe1c8293f9e8e0b4cdfce0b42

Story behind Wayne Bennett’s unceremonious Broncos exit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/bebc67e3de2e4b4f699528aec53f3a14
Wow that first article really gives me a proverbial hard on. Adam Reynolds working with Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Dane Gagai on the right will be insane. Gives us so much more balance across the park. Cody still has an improved Braidon Burns and Graham to work with alongside Sutts coming off his best season in years. Looking like we’ll line up something like
1. AJ
2. Gagai
3. Gi
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Cody
7. Reyno
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom
11. Sam
12. Sutton
13. Murray

That’s a really promising team for me, no better team to test against than the chooks.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Wow that first article really gives me a proverbial hard on. Adam Reynolds working with Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Dane Gagai on the right will be insane. Gives us so much more balance across the park. Cody still has an improved Braidon Burns and Graham to work with alongside Sutts coming off his best season in years. Looking like we’ll line up something like
1. AJ
2. Gagai
3. Gi
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Cody
7. Reyno
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Tom
11. Sam
12. Sutton
13. Murray

That’s a really promising team for me, no better team to test against than the chooks.
I think Gagai will move to left wing and Graham stay at right maybe?

southsport

First Grade
Can Campbell Graham play on the left? Just thought Burns would be left centre, Gagai left wing but just guessing.
If GI is at right centre I guess it will be out of Burns and Graham for left centre, Wayne may be looking at Reyno, Sam, GI and Gagai on the right to sharpen our attack on that side.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
If GI is at right centre I guess it will be out of Burns and Graham for left centre, Wayne may be looking at Reyno, Sam, GI and Gagai on the right to sharpen our attack on that side.
I would have thought that Graham would have been moved to the left side in the Charity Shield game if that was the case. Therefore if Greg goes to right centre I would think Gagai goes to left wing - less disruption.
Will be interesting to see what Bennett does!