What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

Perth Red

Post Whore
Get rid of the kick off. Just give each team a set of possession from the opponents 30m line, golden try. If the defending team defends the set they get a set on the opponents 30. Go until someone scores a try.

Actually off all your ideas, a quite like this one! Each team gets one shot at line. If one team scores and other doesnt its all over. If both score they keep going until someone gets out in front. Probably just become a bombathon and we'd end up with 6ft 6 wingers but still.

T-Boon

Coach
Actually off all your ideas, a quite like this one! Each team gets one shot at line. If one team scores and other doesnt its all over. If both score they keep going until someone gets out in front. Probably just become a bombathon and we'd end up with 6ft 6 wingers but still.

I love all my ideas equally, like they are my children. But this isnt about me its about the brilliant idea.

Timbo

Staff member
Also, people saying that golden point is dull because it's just a field goal shootout - that's exactly what it is when the scores are tied and there's less than ten to go.

If we just go back to the draw, what's next - no field goals in the last ten minutes of play?

flamin

Juniors
Three points for a GP win will open the door for exploitation.
Team A and Team B level in 8th place going into the last round - Team A have a better for and against.
Team A plays on the Friday or Saturday and wins. Team B may get to the lead by 6 points with a few minutes to go and they will then have every incentive to let in a try under the posts to tie the game up and try to get the extra competition point in extra time.
Maybe far-fetched; maybe not ...

It’s 4 points for a normal win under the proposal. More competition points for a golden point win than a normal win would be insane.

T-Boon

Coach
It’s 4 points for a normal win under the proposal. More competition points for a golden point win than a normal win would be insane.

That idea must have been suggested by the same guy who came up with 7 tackle set.

siv

First Grade
Simple answer is

For regular season games after 80 min - its a draw

Teams will play golden point tactics in the period from 70 min to FT anyway

Finals
- 10 min each extra time

If teams are still even

Use the Ranking from the end of season competition table

Finals are a seeded competition anyway

Let the team who finished higher on the table have the DRAW advantage

Pommy

Coach
Simple answer is

For regular season games after 80 min - its a draw

Teams will play golden point tactics in the period from 70 min to FT anyway

Not all teams would. A battling team might try to play for the draw rather than risk a 7 tackle set and gift the stronger team a real crack at the victory. Which I’m fine with myself.

I am OK with reverting back to a draw after 80 minutes (guess which team I follow,) but it won't happen with the game being a good TV product.

I haven't read through the whole thread, and it's probably been suggested already but I think 3 comp points should be on offer for a win.

3 - win in 80 mins
2 - win in golden point
1 - loss in golden point / draw after golden point
0 - loss in normal time.

If it can't be won in 80 minutes, and then again in another ten, the third point goes begging.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Personally I would prefer that we have no GP in the regular season. Draws are fairer and the odd competition points break up the table.

But if we must retain it a new points system should be brought in
- 4 points for a straight win
- 3 points for a GP win
- 2 points if even after GP
- 1 point for a GP loss
- 0 points for a straight loss

Much fairer to losing team with the bonus of creating an odd points situation

colly

Juniors
You had me at 1.5 winner and 0.5 loser but lost ne again on the last paragraph. Did not underayand what you meant?
Sorry I was away after I posted yesterday. So you like the 1.5 points winner in extra time, loser 0.5 and if eventually after 10 mins extra time a draw with 1 point each. Also all these permutations add to 2 points which is what season game adds too. ie 1.5 plus 0.5 equals 2 This the way to go.......!
The rest of my post was about a pre season competition like say the 'Nines' and instead of prize money (which makes up a big part of the running costs) completion points could be awarded. However you would not want to award too many points like 6 points to the the Pre-season competition. But with 'half points' like we 'could award' in Golden point extra time We could award say 2 or 3 points to the eventual winner (of the pre season Nines ) and then half points to next 6 place getters. Winner 3 R/U 2.5 Semi 2.0 Fifth 1.5 then Sixth 1.0. These points will be played for with same intensity as the competition '2' points.
We need more product. I like to see 9/half or 10 months of football. A pe seson Comp like the nines played for a small amount of Season points and a International Comp 14 days after the grand Final for a month with Pacific Islands PNG NZ (GB if they want to come) ending mid to half November. But what do we get out of ARL .... crickets

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not all teams would. A battling team might try to play for the draw rather than risk a 7 tackle set and gift the stronger team a real crack at the victory. Which I’m fine with myself.

Towards the end of the season for a team with poor for and against a draw can be almost as good as a win as it usually takes for and against out of the equation burly putting them on odd points. Conversely for a team with a good for and against it’s not good at all as they lose that advantage. So yeah you can definitely have situations where one team might play for the draw and another would be desperate to avoid it.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Sorry I was away after I posted yesterday. So you like the 1.5 points winner in extra time, loser 0.5 and if eventually after 10 mins extra time a draw with 1 point each. Also all these permutations add to 2 points which is what season game adds too. ie 1.5 plus 0.5 equals 2 This the way to go.......!
The rest of my post was about a pre season competition like say the 'Nines' and instead of prize money (which makes up a big part of the running costs) completion points could be awarded. However you would not want to award too many points like 6 points to the the Pre-season competition. But with 'half points' like we 'could award' in Golden point extra time We could award say 2 or 3 points to the eventual winner (of the pre season Nines ) and then half points to next 6 place getters. Winner 3 R/U 2.5 Semi 2.0 Fifth 1.5 then Sixth 1.0. These points will be played for with same intensity as the competition '2' points.
We need more product. I like to see 9/half or 10 months of football. A pe seson Comp like the nines played for a small amount of Season points and a International Comp 14 days after the grand Final for a month with Pacific Islands PNG NZ (GB if they want to come) ending mid to half November. But what do we get out of ARL .... crickets

Ah ok. Yeah like your suggestion re points.

t-ba

Post Whore
Could it work? NRL to look at overhauling Golden Point system
NRL PREMIERSHIP

643d3b61d3a43c9dee40956add585b08

The NRL will review the golden point system at the end of the season. (AAP: Brendon Thorne)Source: AAP
The NRL will consider overhauling the competition points system to allow teams who lose in golden point to walk away with something for their efforts.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield is reporting the NRL will discuss the option of allocating four points for a win, and three points for a golden-point win, when the competition committee meets at the end of the season.

The new system would allocate one point for a loss in extra time.

Merits of the golden point system have long been debated, but the subject is once again up for discussion as three games finished in a draw after 80 minutes in Round 4. While Penrith, Manly and the Dragons scored the two points for a win, the Wests Tigers, South Sydney and Newcastle all got zip.

NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley told The Telegraph the league has looked at changes to the points system in the past, but it would be irresponsible not to revisit the suggestion.

“We’re open to discussions on these sort of issues,” Annesley said.

Trust the NRL to make things even worse. I don't blame them for trying things - like golden point, but they never seem to be able to say, "This didn't work - let's go back to how things were before". If they make this change, teams that lose by 1 point in regular time still get zero points, and those that lose in extra time get 1 point. Ridiculous.

Hey Phil, good to know you read the forum.

kdalymc

Bench
Also, people saying that golden point is dull because it's just a field goal shootout - that's exactly what it is when the scores are tied and there's less than ten to go.

If we just go back to the draw, what's next - no field goals in the last ten minutes of play?
/thread

So many f**ken idiots in here

Springs09

Juniors
Difference being the game doesn't automatically end if a field goal goes over in the last ten minutes of regular play.

Also teams are more likely to go for the try or at least play a different kind of football if they know a field goal won't automatically win them the game. Same goes for when teams are a point behind or ahead.

Hence why many of us say a draw or ten minutes extra time with no golden anything are equally good. Golden point is f**kin' geniused.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I am a fan of a draw for regular season fixtures.

A draw is a legitimate result. Unfortunately the broadcasters cream their draws over the spectacle that is 3+ missed attempts at field goals.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Golden point is fun and exciting. Draws are boring. Leave it as is
Speak for yourself.
They stop playing rugby league and start playing something else.

Who can kick field goals from 40 out is far from exciting.

Timbo

Staff member
Speak for yourself.
They stop playing rugby league and start playing something else.

Who can kick field goals from 40 out is far from exciting.

Says you - I really enjoy the tactics of it, and some of the field goals we've seen kicked over the years have been truly remarkable feats.

nick87

Coach
I'll speak only for myself
Ive said it for a long time, nothing wrong with a draw
I personally dont really care how "satisfying" people find it to have a result, the game is 80 minutes, IMO you've got that period to sort it out amongst yourselves and if you cant, a point each is fine.

Obviously come finals, you need a winner to progress, so its fine there, but the last 10 minutes and the GP period of a GP game is horrific football.

The referees let everything go, like EVERYTHING, you'd have to pull off an old school piledriver/coat hanger to get penalised. No one is playing any kind of tactical football, it's just bash and barge up the middle to attempt a FG, rinse and repeat.

If GP is to stick around, and i think it will be because the head honchos all seem to love it, the proposal above, which has been floated by fans on site like this for years, is the way to go.