What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake B

carinashark

First Grade
Keep them both. 9 and 7. 7 can interchange with 9 till he is ready to play 7,We need to offload a few next season .

As if they need to. You only have to watch the games.
Yes well they have this need to point out the obvious.

Right on cue and case in point.

Matthew Johns: The ball-playing running lock is changing the game for the better
MATTY JOHNSTHE DAILY TELEGRAPH APRIL 25, 2019

The game of rugby league continues to change and evolve, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. There was a time when no team played the same, each had their own identity.

Some, like the great Parramatta sides of the 1980s and the Raiders of the ‘90s liked to move the football and beat you with skill.

Others like Warren Ryan’s Canterbury Dogs of War liked to dismantle you with defensive ferocity and discipline.

In the last 15 years, to the detriment of the game, almost all teams have fallen into the trap of one uniformed style of football.

Cam Murray has been in top form for the Rabbitohs. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Like one of those old science fiction films set in the future, everybody is wearing a silver suit with a red V on the front, rugby league teams all seem to be adopting the exact same style, the only difference being, like the futuristic silver suits, the style looks better on some than it does others.

There’s no position in rugby league which had been more greatly affected by this lack of imagination than lock forward.

Calling the 13, “lock”, feels rather old fashioned, in the last decade the man in 13 has been just another metre grabbing front-rower who rarely leaves the centre of the football field.

But the lock was once so much more.

Victor Radley is going from strength to strength. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

The lock forward was like another five-eighth; he used vision, he operated the short sides of the field, he caused headaches to the defence with his ability to short ball play, you could build a team around a great lock.

But the obsession for metreage and the overuse of structure has taken the skill and imagination away from that position and replaced it with “go-forward and play the ball fast.”

But that’s about to change. In fact, the best sides already have.

Melbourne, the Roosters, the Raiders and Souths have all gone for speed and creativity over size when locking the scrum.

Souths’ Cameron Murray is a gem of a player, go back and take a look at his first half performance last Friday, he tore the Dogs to pieces.

John Bateman has been a revelation at the Raiders. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Chambers

While Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds controlled the left and right edges, Murray ran the centre field, tormenting the defence with his speed, footwork and ball playing.

As a kid Murray was a beach sprint champion and later captained Newington College first XV in Rugby Union, where he was a top student.

You can see the speed and the smarts in his football every weekend.

Just up the road, Cameron Murray’s good mate Victor Radley is doing a similar job for the Roosters.

With the injury to Jake Friend, Radley is showing his versatility by playing dummy-half, but Victor is a natural lock forward.

Early last season the Roosters were having some teething problems bedding down new combinations and finding the balance between playing fast and playing structured.

Victor Radley establishing himself as a first grader, helped enormously with that.

With Cronk and Keary operating either edge, Radley’s football intellect and skill provided, not just a link but another option to the 7 and 6.

LISTEN! Matty with Paul Kent and James Hooper dissect the spin behind Phil Gould’s exit from the Panthers and reveal just how one match at Parramatta’s new stadium has completely changed the Sydney rugby league scene.

Victor’s fire and aggression gave the Roosters that hard edge all title winning teams require.

Speaking of fire and aggression, let’s look at the Melbourne and talk Brandon Smith.

Brandon would be the starting dummy-half in almost every other team, but he bides his time behind another Smith.

Craig Bellamy uses Brandon’s abilities to great effect off the bench as the opposition starts to loosen.

The middle of the field, with the modern forwards all over 6’1 and 105kg can look like Mack trucks vs Mack trucks, Brandon Smith’s foot speed and fire provides a huge lift at the 20 minute mark for Melbourne.

Brandon is one of those naturally tough individuals, he has no self-preservation.

At Storm fitness training he absolutely smashes himself on the early efforts with no thought that there’s still another 10 to go.

Brandon is one of those rare creatures who has a liking for pain.

Like Victor Radley and Cam Murray he brings an alternative to size and metreage.

Englishman John Bateman is following a long tradition of Yorkshireman who have turned heads in the NRL.

At the Raiders, Bateman has brought with him a difference. Not big, not lightning quick or gloriously skilful, the Bradford native is an old fashioned English footballer.

Whatever the job requires, he’ll do. Bateman can be selected on an edge or in the middle, to be truthful it doesn’t matter because he roams.

Like the old fashioned locks, he has great instincts and as a result tends to turn up where he needs to be.

Ricky Stuart is being rewarded for resisting the temptation to “structure” Bateman, and allowing him to play to his natural instincts.

There should be more of it.

wibble

Bench
He is lethal on the edge, but I don't see why Graham couldn't be very effective as another link player in the middle with the spine players.

Mind you, his defense out wide on halves puts the fear of God into them, and maybe that would be lost a bit in the middle.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
He needs to eat more Blayke does, power lift, eat, sand sprints, eat, root girlfriend, eat, power nap, eat, train, eat, train, eat, relax, eat, relax, eat, sleep.
Repeat.

snout

First Grade
No team wins the GF in 2019 with blake brailey in their 17.

Not even the roosters.

Zero impact.

Frenzy.

Immortal
He was poorly used last night IMO

Should have come on at halfback when SJ went off. Chad to 6 so he could play right with Katzenjammer Kids.

snout

First Grade
I couldn’t agree more this kid is a lightweight who has been carried through by Flanno and now bomber
Nothing to do with the fact hes part of a novelty double act.

From what lve seen if he wasnt a bro he wouldnt be anywhere near first grade

bluefox68

Staff member
100% Footy last night - Gal reckons Jayden could bulk up and play 13, as he’s so good defensively, whereas Blayke is better in attack.

That’s our best chance of keeping both.

It was good to hear that from Gal, though!

coolumsharkie

Referee
Blayke looked ok against the Storm, very crisp service from DH, ran a few from there also and looked pretty dangerous at times. He still looks like a kid though, reminds me when Toovey first debuted, looks like he has to ride his pushy to training after school.

Edit: What the f**k is a Fake?

I don’t know why so many people are being harsh on Blayke. It’s his first season in First Grade and yes he needs to fill out a bit. But for me he has so much skill and natural instincts to open up games in the second half when opposition teams are starting to get tired.

I really think we have the perfect combo at hooker at the moment.

Ads

First Grade
100% Footy last night - Gal reckons Jayden could bulk up and play 13, as he’s so good defensively, whereas Blayke is better in attack.

That’s our best chance of keeping both.

It was good to hear that from Gal, though!
Kinda got the vibe Jayden is going to go from Gal. Did say he could play 13 at a pinch but that’s about it. More telling was he had a chat after Blayke signed and told him to enjoy his time with him.

Kinda got the vibe Jayden is going to go from Gal. Did say he could play 13 at a pinch but that’s about it. More telling was he had a chat after Blayke signed and told him to enjoy his time with him.
Yeah I got that vibe as well.
Gal said he'd be a great asset to any club, also said that Blayke is in the Cam Smith mode.

I predicted a couple if weeks ago that Jayden will go to the Roosters. This was before they started using Radley as a full time hooker, At this point I'll stand by it but I'm wavering.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I think Jayden will go somewhere a more immediate need of a hooker like the Tigers or Dogs. Friend still has atleast a year or so left.

Foz

Bench
Why would we let Jayden go?
He’s only 21 or 22,improving all the time and probably our most consistent player.
Fair enough he mightn’t have shown a lot in attack last year or the year before but he was playing under instructions for sure.
I think his attacks improved this year.
Was never a bad defender but did get caught one out on a few big fellas in the middle now and then but that’s also the fault of a few lazy buggers not assisting him so made him look bad.Hes learnt enough to not get caught like he was.
I think his defence now is as good as any hooker.
Surely we need two hookers.
Is this a money issue or has he asked for a release?? (Ok they’re all money issues but why let him go?).

Latest posts