What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

no name

Coach
Brisbane was the only team not at the launch today and got a serious eyeballing from green turd. They are sponsored by nrma and didn't want to plug launch sponsor youi.
The Broncos will just get Matt Lodge to tell him to get f**ked, we do what we want.

dogslife

Coach
I was responding to a poster who was questioning why Sydney should have the Grand Final every year, not the Magic Round. I was being a little facetious as the Bronco's always have a cry when a second team is brought up that they can't share the city with another team.
It'd just be another team for fans in Brisbane to not turn up and watch

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Except that it doesn't work in three places. I'm going to Brisbane to see 8 games. I wouldn't go to the southern state to see 2 or 3 games.

Sorry, I mustn't have been clear. I meant the whole round in one of those three cities - not split between them.You would need all eight games in one location to have maximum impact and get the relevant state Governments bidding for it as a sports tourism event.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we started the comp a week earlier next year, The Vic Labour day (Public holiday Monday) would fall on the 9th.
Two games on each day, Fri,Sat,Sun, & Mon. Could work with Melbourne

I think it could do really well in Melbourne. I like your proposed split although I'm not sure if it might be better running it over three days. The Warriors and Storm would be the obvious headliners for Friday and Sunday. I'm just not sure if there are two other teams that could headline the Sunday and Monday.

I'd probably get the Warriros to headline Friday night, the Storm Sunday and pack three games on the Saturday with clubs that are likely to have a lot of travelling fans to maximise the chance of three good crowds.

Also, do you think it should be AAMI park for atmosphere and fan experience or Docklands? AAMI would severely limit the ticket sales which might defeat the purpose a little even if it offers the best experience, Docklands would allow for the crowds we want but will provide a lesser experience and the MCG is overkill IMO.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Don’t think it would work. Not enough fans would travel for it imo. Better to have double headers which have proved to work very well.
Fake in Perth, Fake in Adelaide, Storm in Hobart, game in Darwin, Fake in Wellington. Now that’d be an expansion magic round!

I wonder if the NRL would be able to sell out a double header at say Docklands on the opening round of the season (with no AFL competition) involving the Storm and Warriors (just not playing against each other)?

carcharias

Immortal
Be careful what you wish for.

Magic round might work once a year in QLD
Doubt it’ll work anywhere else.
We have magic round almost every weekend here.
If it were easy to pack grounds out they’d already be doing it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wonder if the NRL would be able to sell out a double header at say Docklands on the opening round of the season (with no AFL competition) involving the Storm and Warriors (just not playing against each other)?
Provided the two opponents were reasonably drawing teams (i.e. don't bring down the Titans, for example), I can't see why not.

siv

First Grade
Now you know what Brisbane feels like every other week!

Nah

Broncos almost never play on a weekend only Thu and Fri

Qld Cup has free reign on Sat and Sun

Plus Broncos evolved from a Brisbane regional rep team - so old BRL alegancies still remained

Marlins

Juniors
I think it could do really well in Melbourne. I like your proposed split although I'm not sure if it might be better running it over three days. The Warriors and Storm would be the obvious headliners for Friday and Monday. I'm just not sure if there are two other teams that could headline the Sunday and Monday.

I'd probably get the Warriros to headline Friday night, the Storm Sunday and pack three games on the Saturday with clubs that are likely to have a lot of travelling fans to maximise the chance of three good crowds.

Also, do you think it should be AAMI park for atmosphere and fan experience or Docklands? AAMI would severely limit the ticket sales which might defeat the purpose a little even if it offers the best experience, Docklands would allow for the crowds we want but will provide a lesser experience and the MCG is overkill IMO.
Definitely AAMI Park.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

The NRL are oddly bold on unrealistic concepts but oddly quiet on obvious realistic ways to expand the game.

Magic weekend will only work if fans are able to easily descend on a city for the weekend (and of course a healthy local appetite for it also). Having it somewhere like LA or Las Vegas risks missing out on the majority of the potential travelling fans in Australia. Brissie for a weekend, fine. LA for the weekend? Not going to happen and there won't be sufficient local support to make up the short fall.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
“Holding the first one in Brisbane was a no-brainer. Suncorp is the best rugby league stadium on the planet in arguably the most fertile market that only has access to one game every second weekend.” - Todd Greeberg

Umm - you are the man that can fix that Todd

“Holding the first one in Brisbane was a no-brainer. Suncorp is the best rugby league stadium on the planet in arguably the most fertile market that only has access to one game every second weekend.” - Todd Greeberg

Umm - you are the man that can fix that Todd

Really? I think you forget he is only the CEO, and not the Commissioners of the ARLC.

T-Boon

Coach
You would think they could get more to tonight if they advertised a Broncos & Storm training session pre match.

Diesel

Referee
Im sure I’ve read the reason why the Broncos won’t play a 6pm Friday game is because games at Suncorp cannot start before 7pm in Brisbane on weekdays due to extra strain on public transport, I wonder how they managed to get a non-Broncos 6pm Friday game at Suncorp?

Latest posts