What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxtel to cut Rugby?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
And where the hell have I stated that and why would I even think that?

f**k off with your crap to tfc troll.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Is it, or maybe I was pointing out that people normally don't get pay tv for sports they can view elsewhere for free.

Front-Rower

First Grade
If Fox are “dead in the water” with $400m worth of debt then Netflix should be buried with their $8.3 - $10 BILLION debt. But the haters will claim that’s different, somehow.

“The streaming content giant said Monday it will issue $2 billion in new debt to fund its voracious appetite for content, among other uses. Once issued, Netflix (NFLX) will have a hearty $10 billion in long-term debt on the books, compared to $8.3 billion at the end of the third quarter.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/fin...icted-debt-investors-terrified-150409746.html

nrlnrl

First Grade
If Fox are “dead in the water” with $400m worth of debt then Netflix should be buried with their $8.3 - $10 BILLION debt. But the haters will claim that’s different, somehow.

“The streaming content giant said Monday it will issue $2 billion in new debt to fund its voracious appetite for content, among other uses. Once issued, Netflix (NFLX) will have a hearty $10 billion in long-term debt on the books, compared to $8.3 billion at the end of the third quarter.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/fin...icted-debt-investors-terrified-150409746.html
Terrific point - too many people view Netflix as this creation that has endless money & debt isn't an issue for them.

flippikat

Bench
Isn't the Super Rugby & Rugby Championship rights money all divided up between Australian, NZ, SA & Argentine rugby unions?

If so, then there's flow-on effect on the other unions finances out of this - and it might just force NZ especially to push harder for expansion of those competitions to North America... trying to get a slice of that money.

juro

Bench

The question is not whether they have debt, it's whether they can afford to service that debt. What is the profitability of Netflix?

Tiger5150

Bench
I feel a lot of people are missing the point gloating over the pending demise of RU on Foxtel and few other RL fans here are deluding themselves. Of course Foxtel needs RL and will sign up but if there is less money in the pot, they can only pay less and the NRL will get less. Its simple supply and demand. The NRL are the necessary jewel in the crown but the NRL doesnt set the market.

With streaming services, the market has changed not just for sports but for entertainment generally. Good luck to Toddy increasing the next deal. Watch for some creative smother when it comes around.

franklin2323

Immortal
I feel a lot of people are missing the point gloating over the pending demise of RU on Foxtel and few other RL fans here are deluding themselves. Of course Foxtel needs RL and will sign up but if there is less money in the pot, they can only pay less and the NRL will get less. Its simple supply and demand. The NRL are the necessary jewel in the crown but the NRL doesnt set the market.

With streaming services, the market has changed not just for sports but for entertainment generally. Good luck to Toddy increasing the next deal. Watch for some creative smother when it comes around.

No reason it has to be on the one channel. Just split it up if Fox can't afford it. I am sure ch10 or someone would gladly have an exclusive game to fill in the shortfall.

No longer is it Fox or nothing and they know that

Starkers

Bench
I think it has to be Ch9 and Ch10 FTA coverage and Foxtel simulcast of all. Plus surely the sweetener has to be GF and Origins to Foxtel simulcast.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Tbh it’s hard to see that the massive tv revenue increases of the last two deals has made an equally massive positive impact on the game. The money seems to be pssed away anyways so a slight reduction might not have that bad an impact on the game overall.