What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

Stallion

First Grade
Yeh, it does. It adds 12 games across the year.....

And higher tv ratings with the 2nd Brisbane based team . Plus (if they play out of Suncorp) increased attendance figures. More junior numbers for Queenland and overall as well!

T-Boon

Coach
Maybe if they go out west to Ipswich or south around Logan. There's already fan bases, clubs and football structures in those areas as well.

It would give them their own identity as well, rather than being a second Brisbane.

The new Brisbane team gets to be the first none piece of shit Brisbane team.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
8 games x 24 weeks = 192.

8 games and a bye x 24 weeks = 192.

Try to keep up.

Hahaha, take a minute and think a little harder.......

No every week has only 1 bye. Some rounds during Origin get half the comp taking a brake. The better way to count is with Home games.

Every team hosts 12 games a year, so:

- 16 teams x 12 home games = 192
- 17 teams x 12 home games = 204

Maybe we dont get an extra timeslot each round, but there are still 12 more games across the years.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
‘‘I’m not sure if we are going to have more teams but if we are, in my view, we have to have two more because we have to create another game."

If we get a second Brisbane side, we will get a side in Perth as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore

No every week has only 1 bye. Some rounds during Origin get half the comp taking a brake. The better way to count is with Home games.

Maybe we dont get an extra timeslot each round, but there are still 12 more games across the years.

Lol12 extra games equals nothing in tv value and creates scheduling headaches with byes every week.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Seems to me that something has got lost in translation here, because I find it extremely unlikely that the NRL would expand and add only one new club.

Then again the NRL has done some pretty strange stuff in the past so who knows.

mongoose

Coach
Good idea.

The new franchise will need a feeder team.

jokes aside the Broncos have 5 feeder teams I think? the Titans and Cowboys both 3 each and then the Storm have 1 or 2 in QLD.

Compare that with every other club south of the border which has just 1 feeder team. Going by that the pathways for QLDers compared to NSW is very unbalanced. Another QLD team makes sense. But they have to bring in Perth at the same time, surely.

T to the T

Juniors
Getting expansion on the table is the hard task which it looks like we are close to achieving. Getting a 2nd team (Perth) as part of the conversation will be a lot easier. Don't worry Perth Red, it is happening, don't panic.

Iafeta

Referee
Can’t we have both?

Move Gold Coast to Brisbane and set up in Perth.

17 teams will be strange though. Not sure if Beattie did maths at school but 17 teams will still only get the TV jack offs 8 games to broadcast a week

mongoose

Coach
The NRL wont move the Titans. A team in the middle of a growth region with their own modern 27k stadium. Its just not going to happen.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't really see how you go to 17 without going straight to 18.

As other people have pointed out, whilst it theoretically adds an extra 12 games a year we don't know if that's true - what if the league decides to go to a 22 match season which the RLPA has wanted for a while?

What the broadcasters really want is an extra game per week. And Perth coming in opens up a late-evening timeslot that causes no scheduling headaches.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Getting expansion on the table is the hard task which it looks like we are close to achieving. Getting a 2nd team (Perth) as part of the conversation will be a lot easier. Don't worry Perth Red, it is happening, don't panic.

Not panicking, pretty much gave up any real hope in 2013.

Diesel

Referee
17th team is just a headline. They’ll make sure there is a 9th game and once you have a profitable market i.e. Brisbane lined up, it offsets a new market like WA

Loose Cannon

Bench

17 teams playing everybody once (bye included) = 17 weeks x 8 games = 136.
18 teams playing everybody once = 17 weeks x 9 games = 153.

Same timeframe, 12.5% difference in quantity.
17 vs 18 is always diminishing returns, regardless of multipliers adopted to find a season’s optimal length.

Latest posts