What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

slippery5

Juniors
Dufty like Aitken and Rein .. Another player with one very strong aspect in their game and a bunch of weaknesses ... It is right to give them 40 odd games to see their development but like Aitken and Rein his weaknesses are laid bare for all to see.

The game on the weekend is a great example .. the errors at the back but the speed for the try.

I doubt he will be given another contract with us. We can do better.

Last year it was obvious .. Against top teams his strengths are negated - a patient set line negates him.
This year he is worse .. less effective in attack as teams know to present him with a set line and slide with him. He would destroy Aitken of course but he doesnt get to play us. Perhaps he gets picked so often because he faces Aitken in opposed sessions ;-)

Right now there is nothing Dufty does that Field couldnt do either but Field ball in hand has better passing instincts.
Well said, nothing more to say.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
tumblr_mke5g6QhEZ1s65qwro1_400.gif

slippery5

Juniors
Dufty was excellent tonight. If he keeps improving and plays consistently like he did tonight he may yet develop Into a very good fullback.
I must watch it a little closer, even Anasta said the Storm player should have thrown the dummy because Dufty was already committed to the support player Down the right side, & then it was only luck 2min b4 half time when they fumbled the ball after Smiths grubber because Dufty went flying past the player to defend the support player AGAIN.
These are things that a fullback can never do, but he does it every week.

blacksafake

First Grade
I must watch it a little closer, even Anasta said the Storm player should have thrown the dummy because Dufty was already committed to the support player Down the right side, & then it was only luck 2min b4 half time when they fumbled the ball after Smiths grubber because Dufty went flying past the player to defend the support player AGAIN.
I wouldn’t recommend listening to what Anasta has to say :grin:
PS
Dufty was good tonight, imo

slippery5

Juniors
I wouldn’t recommend listening to what Anasta has to say :grin:
PS
Dufty was good tonight, imo
Look he didn't make any errors but a "good coach" would point those incidents out in the video session. Just a case of liability that is unacceptable as a 1st grade player.

possm

Coach
From what I saw, Dufty failed to step up when required. We were struggling most of the game to penetrate the Storms line while Dufty just stood back and watched from the fullback position. We really needed him to become involved and break through the line to score or setup a player to score.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
From what I saw, Dufty failed to step up when required. We were struggling most of the game to penetrate the Storms line while Dufty just stood back and watched from the fullback position. We really needed him to become involved and break through the line to score or setup a player to score.
The guy finished the game with the highest run metres of any player, and did a brilliant support play run that nearly ended in a try..

Did you watch the game last night?

giboz71

First Grade
Dufty was one of our better players last night. When he runs with purpose and plays without fear, he is very good. His tentativeness lets him down sometimes.

Just needs to play like that every week. With the right mentoring (which he probably isn't getting here), he can fix those problems that many on here see.

j0nesy

Bench
Don’t know what game you were watching last night. He and McInness were excellent.

rasaint

Juniors
Matt was good last night.

I notice in post game interviews it’s not unusual to hear opposition players remark ‘Dufty is their danger man’ etc.

Matt has been left with trying to overcome two on one break aways and going for the ‘Darius’ play ( Canterbury 2010 at cricket ground?) with an inception. He tried it last night. Actually half worked because Croft reacted and fumbled.

Say it again, he is not an elite player but is good attacker with speed to occasionally score sensational trys, reasonable defence. He can catch the high balls but like Duges can fluff them cold.

giboz71

First Grade
Dufty should be the sort of player that should do well given who else we have in the side. Origin calibre halves and forwards, a good hooker etc. Yes we can do better at centre and wing but we have plenty of other strengths in the side which could exploit Dufty's talents.

McGregor just has no idea how to use him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dufty should be the sort of player that should do well given who else we have in the side. Origin calibre halves and forwards, a good hooker etc. Yes we can do better at centre and wing but we have plenty of other strengths in the side which could exploit Dufty's talents.

McGregor just has no idea how to use him.
That support play he did for the offload that led to his big break was poetry..

He should just tail Luch & Vaughan around all game waiting for more of those..