What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Panthers

denis preston

First Grade

You know what , he looks absolutely spent but won't fall on his sword. "hard to explain " means he doesn't know. Some players are "coming out of the system " ( what system ! ) but how to fix it comes down to the individual person ???. Also said " the club, supporters, coaches and SOME players are gutted by all this "!!! Looks like he will have angry selections next week and weld the axe on perhaps some of these players not gutted ( Norman ? )

Fu..en Paul Crawley gave a supporting statement rather than a question "stick together and finish off the season in a real positive mode " Mary responded with absolutely!!!
The club has to act now as the damage has been done and the players have spoken.Cant gloss over this and let it fester more over the off season and further. I'd reckon because the board has to be seen to be doing something about it : They will retain the dopey assistants but hire Barrett as interim coach until the end of the year.Then they will make a world search for a new coach and then hire Barrett.

blacksafake

First Grade
Graham was about the only one showing passion, gave it to the ref, gave it to Maloney and made 42 tackles and, this is his first game back from a leg fracture.

When interviewed after the game he mentioned lack of urgency by some players. They asked him what was the problem and he looked like he was torn between saying what he really thought and being diplomatic. This is when he just said "I dont know , I dont have any answers".
Well if there’s unrest in the squad now it’ll blow up this week I reckon after Graham gives it to them behind closed doors.

BLM01

First Grade
You know what , he looks absolutely spent but won't fall on his sword. "hard to explain " means he doesn't know. Some players are "coming out of the system " ( what system ! ) but how to fix it comes down to the individual person ???. Also said " the club, supporters, coaches and SOME players are gutted by all this "!!! Looks like he will have angry selections next week and weld the axe on perhaps some of these players not gutted ( Norman ? )

Fu..en Paul Crawley gave a supporting statement rather than a question "stick together and finish off the season in a real positive mode " Mary responded with absolutely!!!
The club has to act now as the damage has been done and the players have spoken.Cant gloss over this and let it fester more over the off season and further. I'd reckon because the board has to be seen to be doing something about it : They will retain the dopey assistants but hire Barrett as interim coach until the end of the year.Then they will make a world search for a new coach and then hire Barrett.
Yes "the future is not our past"...but unfortunately Mary if you keep referring to and practising what you have been doing in the past it becomes your future.
He refers to this one liner when someone brings out something negative about the last game, last 11 weeks etc..but he is happy to refer to the past when it suits..."back in 2018 we were 85 mins from making a GF ..and 165 mins from winning a GF....and "this year we have had above average distractions and no luck with anything"

Go figure no wonder Possm calls it a MESS

BLM01

First Grade
I struggled to see how Host got blamed for last week.
Mary says he needs to fix things up in his game..but he is not getting time in 1sts so he can do it with a full game in reggies.
That little kick he put on in about the 10th minute in the Melb game cost him and the penalty late to give them the winning goal. Then back to bench with not big minutes against Canberra but a few poor ineffective or missed tackles on the edge. Chop Chop..He has be told to work on right play at right time stuff..hehe..copping the wrath from the hard task master Mary as did Hunt....
who had no idea he was going to be rested. Hunt & Mary did not make that decision together..FACT..but he gave Hunt the benefit of the doubt the week before!...a week too late Mary
The old cop out to being dropped...player welfare!..
The media and these clubs treat these players like kindergarten kids.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Everyone is going over the top. Sure the scoreboard reads 40-18, but 16 of their points were try’s off kicks, so really the score was 24-18, and we were only one converted try from marching to the NRL flag.

You have got to be kidding.....they also had a number of legit tries taken of them....supporters like yourself promote mediocrity....and people wonder why the clubs in trouble....LOL

getsmarty

Immortal
Can’t blame GM for getting worked up.
Emotions I think are running high through here now thanks to Teflon L plate:rage:

It's more a case of we have been a basket case since Bennett left, and from what I have been told little will change....mind you Souths can do us a favor and flog us next week and I think it then becomes untenable....

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor admits St George Illawarra have attitude problem after latest loss

Written By Steve Orme
@SteveOSportal
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
upload_2019-7-20_10-5-38-gif.31569

Getty Images

Five days after boldly declaring St George Illawarra can still win the NRL premiership, besieged coach Paul McGregor downgraded his Dragons to a mathematical chance of making the 2019 NRL finals.

McGregor's men were mauled by the resurgent Penrith Panthers who piled on five unanswered tries in 22 minutes to put the contest beyond doubt on the hour mark on Friday night.

The Dragons have now lost three on the trot and nine of their past 11 games to sit in 14th spot on the ladder, four points adrift of eighth spot.

"Mathematically we can, yeah, and I still believe that we can," McGregor said when asked if the Saints, who were among the pre-season premiership favourites, can make the top eight.

MORE: Tyson Frizell shoots down St George Illawarra exit rumours in 'hostage video' | Cleary hints Panthers could deny Maloney early release |

"But again, like I said last week, there's a long way to go.

"It's down to now winning every game or winning six of our next seven.

"We're making it hard for ourselves, especially with performances in the second half like that."

A clearly shattered McGregor promised team changes at his post-match press conference after conceding their collective attitude wasn't up to standard against the Panthers.

"I think it's a compounding thing with a bit of self-belief and a bit of doubt, a bit of trust at different stages with people that you're with out there," he said when asked to explain his side's dramatic losing slide.

"It does break your heart, it hurts. It hurts for our supporters, it hurts for the coach, it hurts for some players.

"But attitude is something that, the greatest power a player has is the power to choose and you can choose what sort of attitude you have, and it's valuable to your footy team.

"And you've got to have it when everything's going well and you've got to have it at tough times.

"And at the moment when times are tough, we've got to have a better attitude."

McGregor added of the mounting criticism and calls from furious Dragons fans for his sacking: "I don't take things personally there, I understand (the criticism) when the team's not performing the way we need to at the moment.

"We've had above level distractions and no element of luck during the year and we haven't had our strongest 17 on (the field) but we shouldn't be beaten by scores that we've been beaten the last couple of weeks.

"So I understand that, as a coach I'm the leader so aim up on me and leave my players alone a little bit."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-after-latest-loss/1ltv9pcq5iz4g1imifuz4lb6y5

What a martyr...If he's such a leader, do the right thing and hand in your resignation............

TruSaint

Referee
I watched that presser and this stood out for me.

"It does break your heart, it hurts. It hurts for our supporters, it hurts for the coach, it hurts for some players."

It was no slip of the tongue.

Some players... He could have easily said "players"..

denis preston

First Grade
I watched that presser and this stood out for me.

"It does break your heart, it hurts. It hurts for our supporters, it hurts for the coach, it hurts for some players."

It was no slip of the tongue.

Some players... He could have easily said "players"..
So apart from Norman who else that wasn't hurt by the loss will he flick ?

possm

Coach
It's more a case of we have been a basket case since Bennett left, and from what I have been told little will change....mind you Souths can do us a favor and flog us next week and I think it then becomes untenable....
So many on here say this 'if such a club flogs us next week then that is the breaking point' or words to that effect. Bad coaching has gone on for years and it is only the corrupt actions of people on the Board that keep it going. I don't completely understand why, but it seems that they are happy with Mary's coaching results. It can only be the case that they are honouring deals done behind closed doors.

Does anyone on here believe:
WIN would have got the go ahead when there was a more lucrative offer from a professional entity unless in the deal certain people within the administration of SGI got certain assurances regarding their tenor or guarantee of a certain position i.e. Mary and Millward continue on, Doust stays on as CEO of the St George Leagues Club, Johnston gets the CEO position and so on?

BLM01

First Grade
So many on here say this 'if such a club flogs us next week then that is the breaking point' or words to that effect. Bad coaching has gone on for years and it is only the corrupt actions of people on the Board that keep it going. I don't completely understand why, but it seems that they are happy with Mary's coaching results. It can only be the case that they are honouring deals done behind closed doors.

Does anyone on here believe:
WIN would have got the go ahead when there was a more lucrative offer from a professional entity unless in the deal certain people within the administration of SGI got certain assurances regarding their tenor or guarantee of a certain position i.e. Mary and Millward continue on, Doust stays on as CEO of the St George Leagues Club, Johnston gets the CEO position and so on?

I see it but I just dont believe it!