What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Souths

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I’d have gone with:

Dufty
Saab
Rav
Lomax

f**k Knows (not f**king Pearson or Maranta though. Assuming Pereira is still injures maybe Runciman)
Widdop
Norman
Vaughan
Hunt
Graham
Friz
Sims
McInness

Ford
Leilua
Sims
Timm

Now let me see, you've gone for the Duf, a Saab, a Rav and a Lomax or is that a Lexus for starters on the backline ............... that should get us motoring along .........

CARS.jpg

kit66

Bench
Looks like Mary has finally worked out that our backline sucks but how Aitken still gets a jersey is beyond me, makes no sense. Could have salvaged Ravalawa and put Lomax in the centres but at least they haven't gone to the extreme of bringing in Maranta ( who is probably a lovely bloke and does his best but not in first grade please ). I'd rather Host or Robson on the bench than Dufty.
Overall though a healthier, more competitive looking team to face the Bunnies. I haven't felt too optimistic for a while but I reckon we'll give it a shake this week. I think the boys will lift.
Widdop's baaaaaaack ! Go Saints !

NRL squad for Round 18 v Penrith Panthers –

1. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Jason Saab – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
6. Gareth Widdop – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
14. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
16. Matt Dufty– sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Reece Robson
19. Jacob Host
20. Patrick Kaufusi
21. Mikaele Ravalawa

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
saabj-1gp_1396.jpg

NRL NEWS

Teen sensation Saab to debut in revamped backline
Author
Brad Walter & Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jul 2019, 06:05 PM

Teenage winger Jason Saab is set to make a dramatic transition from SG Ball to first grade within a year after being named as one of four new faces in the St George Illawarra team for Friday night’s match against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

Saab, who represented NSW Under 18s and Australian schoolboys last year, will join Gareth Widdop, Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax as changes to the Dragons side beaten 40-14 by Penrith last Friday night.

Widdop, the St George Illawarra captain, returns from a shoulder reconstruction at five-eighth and will partner Hunt in the halves, with Corey Norman shifting to fullback in place of Matt Dufty as part of a new look back three for St George Illawarra.

Dufty has been selected on the bench, while Lomax and Saab replace wingers Mikaele Ravalawa and Jonus Pearson. Interchange forward Patrick Kaufusi also drops out of the 17-man squad but was named on an extended bench.

So highly regarded is 18-year-old Saab that he has already been signed by the Dragons until the end of the 2022 season after a stunning rise through the ranks from SG Ball to the club’s NRL development player squad in the past 12 months.

Is a Belmore return on the cards for Josh Reynolds?

The 195cm tall winger was due to be promoted to St George Illawarra’s top 30 in 2021 but his NRL debut has now been fast-tracked as Dragons coach Paul McGregor seeks to revive the team’s flagging finals hopes alive.

St George Illawarra's opponents South Sydney have named the same 17 that downed North Queensland last weekend with Tom and Sam Burgess on their extended reserves list.

Tom got through training on Tuesday and shapes as the more likely inclusion for Friday's game, with Sam still recovering from an infection detected during recent shoulder surgery that is expected to keep him sidelined for another week.

While St George Illawarra's season goes on the line, fellow struggling heavyweights Cronulla will be without Matt Moylan for their clash with North Queensland due to ongoing hamstring issues.

NRL.com understands that club medical staff fear any further damage to Moylan's troubling hamstring would be significant, to the tune of another month or two on the sidelines.

As such the former NSW Origin star will be kept on ice, despite the Sharks being desperate to snap a five game losing streak.

Moylan will be joined on the sidelines by prop Andrew Fifita (suspension) as Josh Dugan reverts to fullback, while second-rower Wade Graham is another week away in his recovery from a hamstring tear.

Burgess eager to get back

No such fears exist for Brisbane's Matt Gillett, who returns from a groin injury against the Gold Coast, who will debut mid-season English recruit Kallum Watkins at centre.

Tyrone Peachey also returns from a pectoral injury via the bench.

Melbourne will have their full Origin contingent on deck against the Sea Eagles after Josh Addo-Carr, Will Chambers, Cameron Munster, Felise Kaufusi and Christian Welch were all rested last week.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has also swung the axe after Sunday's sub-par defence at Brookvale, with Shaun Lane (finger) out and Waqa Blake coming in for his first game since moving from Penrith at the expense of rookie winger Ethan Parry.

Blake Ferguson remains sidelined with a leg infection as opponents the Warriors welcome back Ken Maumalo from concussion and sweat the fitness of Kodi Nikorima (ankle), who failed to train on Tuesday.

Rabbitohs v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 19 clash?

Rabbitohs v Dragons What will be the result of their round 19 clash?
  • Souths 1-10
    0%
  • Souths 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/24/teen-sensation-saab-to-debut-in-revamped-backline/

hazzbeen

Bench
I feel your pain, mate.
Yep, short term pain for long term gain.
The board don't care otherwise they would have acted , so if anyone here thinks that I don't support this club they are soo wrong ..... I for one can't stand for the mediocre coaching , so bring it on the more pressure , the more the media will have to react , then in turn put pressure on the so called board ...... I say bring it on ....

Vinnie

Juniors
So this is good

The wingers pay the price !!!
The culprits and arguably the 2 worst center combination in the NRL get a reprieve.
Lomax who probably on his worst day is a better center than both our existing centers gets punted to the wing (where mind you he struggled before as you would if your not playing that position regularly)
And to top it off we go back to the pointless, idiotic ploy of playing Dufty (who can only really play 1 position only) on the bench !!

WOW and thats what we call progress and changes ??? I'm absolutely over it !

Vinnie

Juniors
Sorry for the double post .... But i have to add:

To me his selections say that Widdop or maybe even Hunt are probably not fully fit and he is in panic mode and should Widdop or Hunt go down then Norman to halves and Dufty to Fullback and he looks a hero !!!!

My take .... If their not fit don't risk it it's too late now and everything is to lose, We need our strongest and fittest squad on the field and on the BENCH !! Not a fullback there just in case of an injury !

ALSGI

Bench
Sorry for the double post .... But i have to add:

To me his selections say that Widdop or maybe even Hunt are probably not fully fit and he is in panic mode and should Widdop or Hunt go down then Norman to halves and Dufty to Fullback and he looks a hero !!!!

My take .... If their not fit don't risk it it's too late now and everything is to lose, We need our strongest and fittest squad on the field and on the BENCH !! Not a fullback there just in case of an injury !
Agree, Dufty on the bench must be because Widdop and possibly Hunt aren’t %100.

In any case I hope there’s a reshuffle before kick off, we’ll see who’s on the list tomorrow night.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ha Gareth. You gotta get of that juice.

O.K. - I have been hitting the home brew for a while now , come to think of it ever since we started on this losing streak .

But seriously I have a good feeling about this game , after McInnes ‘ tongue lashing ‘ last week perhaps , just perhaps the team may pick themselves up of the canvas and score a win over the wabbits .

Latest posts