What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 19 vs Knights @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 19: Knights v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
Farah to me was nowhere near an A+. I think we would be a much better team with a dummy half who could make some good busts from dummy half. He wasn't poor. He is a quality player who has lost his zip.
You maybe right, but I don't think Liddle could score that try.

Pezz70

Juniors
Those defensive stats are missing some of the point. Mbye was hitting hard. Some bumped off but he was up against Ramien who is bumping people off all the time. I think Mbye is going well in the centres plus he can kick the ball.

I think we should stick with him there and hopefully he develops into a quality centre.

I think we should probably be looking to move Marsters on. He is offering very little in attack plus his defence is poor. We have spots for outside backs in our squad.

Those stats miss nothing, the last three weeks his poor defence has resulted in 5 tries that I can remember. Centre is probably the most difficult position to play defensively especially when defending from inside your own 20. The next few weeks will be a massive test for him, coaches will by now have noticed his defence and they’ll be lining up to come down that side near the try line.

There are times when he is ok, don’t get me wrong, as I’ve have said before, he needs to relax and make the tackles, if he was hitting hard with confidence and good technique, great!!! But he is forcing the big shots because he is lacking confidence, overplaying his hand. He needs to sit down with blokes like Greg Inglis or Justin Hodges and watch his last couples of games with them, someone needs to get in his ear and mind.

Pezz70

Juniors
Just watched the press conference from last night, gotta say I really like Maguire, if the boys buy into his philosophy 100%, forget about any personality issues + a few personnel tweaks here and there the Tiges will jag a comp in the next two or three years.

Robbie Farah also showed what a classy bloke he is in that conference

Pezz70

Juniors
Correct - and a hooker that has ‘zip’ but has very few other good qualities ie. Liddle is far worse than Farah.

Good hooker play doesn’t and never has consisted of 4 line breaks a game.

Liddle is only 22, injuries have ensured that he has missed opportunities Robbie had at the same age. We should give the kid a break, he’ll come good.

WA Tiger

Bench
Its been reported that they have resigned him for 2 years
“He’s going really well, I’m really pleased with Jacob,” Maguire said on Thursday.

“Jacob Liddle is going to be a big part of the future and where we’re going.” That’s funny !! Only Fox sports have said “They’ve locked him down but won’t announce until after Farrahs 300th game”...That’s not catagorical ..I won’t believe it untill I see it...This is one of the 3 most important positions of the game...(as long as one of 1/2 or 5/8 is a gun.).how can you bank on someone that hasn’t produced and looks prone to error under pressure...We’ve got a house full of those types..Thats why we’re in the Poo

The unknown

Juniors
“He’s going really well, I’m really pleased with Jacob,” Maguire said on Thursday.

“Jacob Liddle is going to be a big part of the future and where we’re going.” That’s funny !! Only Fox sports have said “They’ve locked him down but won’t announce until after Farrahs 300th game”...That’s not catagorical ..I won’t believe it untill I see it...This is one of the 3 most important positions of the game...(as long as one of 1/2 or 5/8 is a gun.).how can you bank on someone that hasn’t produced and looks prone to error under pressure...We’ve got a house full of those types..Thats why we’re in the Poo

I've thought Liddle has looked pretty damn good with the limited minutes he's been given. I don't know where people get the idea he is error prone. Yeah he threw a shocker in the raiders game but so has Farah over a million times in his career. Still escapes critisicm though

Its also near impossible to produce a game breaking moment when you're given 25 mins a game

Farah might be the best choice while we still have a shot at playing finals footy this year. But is he the best option we have going forward for the next 10 year's? exactly.

WA Tiger

Bench
Garner was unreal.

Farah to me was nowhere near an A+. I think we would be a much better team with a dummy half who could make some good busts from dummy half. He wasn't poor. He is a quality player who has lost his zip.

Brooks was so good. I mean that was a performance where he did basically everything right except for that poor kick into Watson. I know Brooks gets a lot of hate but he is a quality kid. He is up there with the top halves in the game despite the halves going around now being pretty ordinary.

Despite not wanting to move Matterson from that right edge spot I think he might be better in the middle. He isn't that quick but that matters less in the middle. He has a passing game, his defence is great and he can hit it up hard. Chee-Kam and Garner on the edges are really really good. They both have a better edge running game than Matterson.

Benji was unreal as well despite the missed tackle that should have hurt us bad.
Ok so In the space of 1 week you’ve gone from “Brooke’s is ordinary” to what now ready for state of origin ...since the others are so ordinary...It’s not that he had one kick that was a mistake it’s that his mind shut down during that kick ...and instead of pulling out like he should have he kicked anyway...the ball hit Watson’s hip ..not even close to clearing him...When the big moments come he’s prone to errors..like for instance when the games on the line ..regardless of what Pezz has been telling u

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I've thought Liddle has looked pretty damn good with the limited minutes he's been given. I don't know where people get the idea he is error prone. Yeah he threw a shocker in the raiders game but so has Farah over a million times in his career. Still escapes critisicm though

Its also near impossible to produce a game breaking moment when you're given 25 mins a game

Farah might be the best choice while we still have a shot at playing finals footy this year. But is he the best option we have going forward for the next 10 year's? exactly.
No Farrahs not a long term solution but I’ll say it again ..one of the top 3 most important positions...If we signed someone like Liddle in Any of the other 2 positions ...fullback or halfback with the equivalent of what he’s shown there would be an outrage...with any player with the time he’s had on field to sign him we need to have seen more of what he does lead to tries and/or near tries and near the tryline pref he scores it ..Did I say probably prone to errors I meant diabolical blunders including the feed to the scrum against Saufs ......We probably have some money to spend now with Matalinos $650 let’s spend it on something more sure ..maybe not a korosau but someone we know will produce in the big games...and we’ve got time to look...I’d rather spend a bit more money on the spine get that right first..without relying on sentimentalities ... if he’s a dud we are stuck with him we cannot afford another..especially not a good hooker...

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
I was pretty happy with that game last night, and while it’s disappointing that they lost the last
Ok so In the space of 1 week you’ve gone from “Brooke’s is ordinary” to what now ready for state of origin ...since the others are so ordinary...It’s not that he had one kick that was a mistake it’s that his mind went dead during that kick ...and instead of pulling out like he should have he kicked anyway...the ball hit Watson’s hip ..not even close to clearing him...When the big moments come he’s prone to errors..like for instance when the games on the line ..regardless of what Pezz has been telling u

Brooks is a gun. That kick was as a result of ordinary service, he takes that tackle they start a defensive set of six on the 40. One mistake in a game of highlights. The thing is Brooks has been working hard every week off the back of a fairly ordinary pack and doing a shitload in defence, and he is only gonna get better. He will be a portrait of how far hardwork will gets you over the next 2 years. The tigers need to hire Andrew Johns or Alfy Langer for a few months just to add a bit of polish on Brooksy.

I think we’re lucky that Liddle has Robbie Farah to help put the polish on him, that young Simpkins kid will benefit from Robbie too. Just ask that centre come Hooker Damian Cook how much Farah contributed to his game. Liddle will come good too.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’ve been critical at times this year about the skill and speed deficiencies in the squad... particularly the backline...Also been frustrated with the realisation that a lot of the underperformers are going to be contracted to the team for another 2 years after this one making improvement difficult in the short term..

However, can’t fault a lot of the efforts this season... that was a gutsy win last night .. I think it’s fair to say they have got more wins than their talent would indicate ..,

Hope this is a true reflection of Madge’s coaching ability...

We are going to have to be patient though because he won’t have his own squad until 2022 unfortunately.,

simmo1

First Grade
We actually have a pretty soft run home. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we're half a chance of sneaking in the 8.

WA Tiger

Bench
We actually have a pretty soft run home. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we're half a chance of sneaking in the 8.
And Eels play Warriors and Penrith play Canberra this round...we 2 points behind E/P and we play cowboys next who lost against sharks on Thursday...Maybe 28 points will be enough ..we are sitting on 30 max now ..

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee

I did the ladder predictor, I still think we need to win 5 of the 6 to guarantee a spot which means it will be like a semi final every week.

The next 2 weeks are must win. Cowboys at Leichhardt and Dogs, really we should win those and if we do I’ll give us every chance.

WA Tiger

Bench
I was pretty happy with that game last night, and while it’s disappointing that they lost the last

Brooks is a gun. That kick was as a result of ordinary service, he takes that tackle they start a defensive set of six on the 40. One mistake in a game of highlights. The thing is Brooks has been working hard every week off the back of a fairly ordinary pack and doing a shitload in defence, and he is only gonna get better. He will be a portrait of how far hardwork will gets you over the next 2 years. The tigers need to hire Andrew Johns or Alfy Langer for a few months just to add a bit of polish on Brooksy.

I think we’re lucky that Liddle has Robbie Farah to help put the polish on him, that young Simpkins kid will benefit from Robbie too. Just ask that centre come Hooker Damian Cook how much Farah contributed to his game. Liddle will come good too.
Well preferably he steps Watson which shouldnt be too hard ..with Watson on the run..I hope Liddle is the success u say ..if they have signed him ..I love the idea of bringing in the experts ...for now if they can keep the ball away from Brooke’s in the last 4-5 minutes of tight games when our season is on the line ..I’m happy

Fordy20

Juniors

This is the problem, you know from experience that we will fall short of the finals. Manly will account for us comfortably, meaning we will have to win every other game. Given last night's narrow win against the Knights, I'm not confident of beating them or anyone else... well except for the Queens.

WA Tiger

Bench
Like we were definitely going to lose last night right? Everyone we will be playing would have taken notice of that win last night...Who was missing from the the knights ..That was a bonafide gate crash

Last edited: