What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018-2022 Media Deal $ Value

Stallion

First Grade
I’m guessing he has no concept that the nrl actually has to pay club grants to these new clubs as well as extra costs of putting on two extra games a weeK? Reality is two new clubs will cost the nrl $30mill a year, two more clubs in say 5 years time when the grant has gone up likely to be an extra $40mill plus on top of that $30mill. Unless there is a healthy increase in tv deal or the nrl digital thing pays off or the nrl diverts funding from elsewhere then there wont be two new clubs, and four new ones in the next decade is an absolute pipe dream.

I'm aware of the grants. The genuine growth and not implosion is the desired outcome. Otherwise you throw the baby out with the bath water. Those whom wanted to see the game be constrained are happy with whiteanting and stagnation. The both apply when people seek to weaken the core of this "envied" competition.
I’m guessing he has no concept that the nrl actually has to pay club grants to these new clubs as well as extra costs of putting on two extra games a weeK? Reality is two new clubs will cost the nrl $30mill a year, two more clubs in say 5 years time when the grant has gone up likely to be an extra $40mill plus on top of that $30mill. Unless there is a healthy increase in tv deal or the nrl digital thing pays off or the nrl diverts funding from elsewhere then there wont be two new clubs, and four new ones in the next decade is an absolute pipe dream.

I'm aware of the funding arrangements. Imploding and whiteanting established well known clubs is and has been a stupid tact. Those whom continually advocate carving the core strength of the code in Sydney and not fixing mistakes like losing the Bears are only fueling angst against other genuine expansion bids. These further expansion will generate more money and relevance for the code. You can't see that? Others can!

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I'm aware of the grants. The genuine growth and not implosion is the desurge outcome. Otherwise you throw the baby out with the bath water. Those whom wanted to see the game be constrained are happy with whiteanting and stagnation. The both apply when people seek to weaken the core of this "envied" competition.

I'm aware of the funding arrangements. Implowing and whiteanting established well know clubs is andoing has been a stupid tact. Those whom continual advocate carving the core strength of the code in Sydney and not fixing mistakes like losing the Bears are only fueling angst against other genuine expansion bids. These further expansion will generate more money and relevance for the code. You can't see that? Others can!

What it comes down to is people’s definition on what expansion actually is. For me expansion is adding extra teams, expanding into new areas, attracting new fans/sponsors. Stallion you simply don’t want that going by your Constant CC bears agenda. You’re not a pro-expansion guy. You're a pro-consolidation guy. And that’s your opinion and that’s fine but don’t try and messy the waters on what true expansion is.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The next tv deal the fta broadcaster must show at least 3.5 games( I’d prefer 4). 3 on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Teams that play away and aren’t on fta on Thursday, Friday or Sunday are broadcast into their regions to keep fans engaged. It allows say the titans to be broadcast into Gold Coast at least 12 times a year plus any fta games that they receive. The broadcaster would have to be flexible with other programming due to possible Saturday, early Sunday games.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You are ignoring a basic factor in most sports competitions.

And what would that be?

I don't recall not at various profit.

What does this even mean?

And they exist for the propagation and growth of the relevant code.

Are you referring to the clubs? Yes, I agree all clubs at all levels exist for the propagation and growth of the code. That doesn't mean that all clubs have to play in the NRL

You are condoning an implosion of this highly regarded competition that is the flagship of rugby league worldwide .

No, I'm advocating for expansion of our national footprint in a sustainable way. As time moves on certain clubs may find that NSW Cup is a more appropriate level for them. No club has a devine right to play in the NRL.

You also assume an extra game will not add to the value for tv money? An extra game will add value and fans. You can't see this! ? A true village idiot at play.

Yes, I assume that and I've given you the reasons why I believe that. Why don't, instead of throwing insults around, you actually engage in the debate and give me the reason how you think, in the current climate that the NRL can increase their TV revenue enough to fund two additional teams and keep all of the other clubs on at least their existing grant money.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

flippikat

Bench
Wow - seems so petty and they ended up losing Vossy over it. Vossy is the next Rabs ( iconic voice of the game) once Rabs retires.

That's one of the key things about rugby league media (hell, Australian media in general, it seems).. the bitterness & pettiness of it all.

Especially when you factor in the huge divide between Murdoch's empire and the rest. The Superleague war wasn't the start, nor (in some quarters) was it the end of hostilities.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
What it comes down to is people’s definition on what expansion actually is. For me expansion is adding extra teams, expanding into new areas, attracting new fans/sponsors. Stallion you simply don’t want that going by your Constant CC bears agenda. You’re not a pro-expansion guy. You're a pro-consolidation guy. And that’s your opinion and that’s fine but don’t try and messy the waters on what true expansion is.

The Central Coast is a well positioned region to have a NRL club. Coupled with a relationship with the Bears of North Sydney it would certainly gain two areas of support. It's common sense and relatively easy to do. Some of you don't like common sense!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
And what would that be?

What does this even mean?

Are you referring to the clubs? Yes, I agree all clubs at all levels exist for the propagation and growth of the code. That doesn't mean that all clubs have to play in the NRL

No, I'm advocating for expansion of our national footprint in a sustainable way. As time moves on certain clubs may find that NSW Cup is a more appropriate level for them. No club has a devine right to play in the NRL.

Yes, I assume that and I've given you the reasons why I believe that. Why don't, instead of throwing insults around, you actually engage in the debate and give me the reason how you think, in the current climate that the NRL can increase their TV revenue enough to fund two additional teams and keep all of the other clubs on at least their existing grant money.

Believe me! I'm engaging in the debate ! Your logic is so scurilous that insults (accurate descriptions ) are appropriate. You fail to understand the massive market advantage of established and widely identified clubs that exist and have existed in the ARL/NRL. This is your biggest mistake. You fail to see that these clubs are renowned throughout the land . They are an important part of the sporting fabric of a nation. Some scurrilous disrespectful chatter to dismiss their proud existence into a 2nd rate status is rude and innapropriate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The next tv deal the fta broadcaster must show at least 3.5 games( I’d prefer 4). 3 on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Teams that play away and aren’t on fta on Thursday, Friday or Sunday are broadcast into their regions to keep fans engaged. It allows say the titans to be broadcast into Gold Coast at least 12 times a year plus any fta games that they receive. The broadcaster would have to be flexible with other programming due to possible Saturday, early Sunday games.

Id like to see fta be two Friday two Sunday. Dump Thursday. I’d also like to see fox simulator cast two other games in a Sunday with a red buttonchoice which games you wa to watch live. With expansion that would give
2 Friday night games
3 Saturday games
4 Sunday afternoon games

That would be perfect balance of tv and fan friendly ko times to drive up attendance and more daytime games which seem to bring better quality games.

Stallion

First Grade
Id like to see fta be two Friday two Sunday. Dump Thursday. I’d also like to see fox simulator cast two other games in a Sunday with a red buttonchoice which games you wa to watch live. With expansion that would give
2 Friday night games
3 Saturday games
4 Sunday afternoon games

That would be perfect balance of tv and fan friendly ko times to drive up attendance and more daytime games which seem to bring better quality games.

Saturday arvo/night FTA is necessary as well.

Canard

Immortal
That's one of the key things about rugby league media (hell, Australian media in general, it seems).. the bitterness & pettiness of it all.

Especially when you factor in the huge divide between Murdoch's empire and the rest. The Superleague war wasn't the start, nor (in some quarters) was it the end of hostilities.

Tribalism is our game's biggest strength, but also our biggest weakness.

Stallion

First Grade
Interesting! Great reason to expand to compensate fox loss of all games by giving them an exclusive one

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...football-in-next-tv-deal-20190824-p52kfc.html

The ideal tv line up

Fri 6pm Fox
Fri 8pm ch9 exclusive
Sat 2pm fox
Sat 5pm fox
Sat 7;30pm ch9 and fox
Sun 2pm fox
Sun 4pm two games on Fox with viewers choice
Sun 6pm fox

Most of this is ok. Would recommend a further FTA simulcast game on Sunday 4pm timeslot. It's very important that this daytime FTA viewing be maintained.

Starkers

Bench
I'm taking a dim view of this article and Ch9 in general. Ch9 stirring the pot with 3 years to go against an incoming Chair that is linked to news.

Secondly he claims numbers have fallen off a cliff when in fact they are -4% total for the year and he doesn't have Kayo figures which may well fill that hole or more.

I think Ch9 have been found wanting and thus running interference.

taipan

Referee
He ( Weidler)cannot accept some points, such as the 9 coverage becoming stale and the continual negativity from Gould is a big turnoff.Yes refs decisions have an impact as does consistency.
He is trying to put down the Kayo impact, which must be impacting FTA .And of course he is conveniently ignoring a cashed up yet ratings chasing ch10 (backed by the CBS organisation).
And of course the chance of an expanded 18 team competition, encompassing Perth and another Brisbane 2.
The fact 9 and the Herald sleep in the same media bed, all Weidler is doing is getting in early pushing for a lower Tv deal, which benefits both those sharing the same bed.

That's what I'm hearing Danny, from the world of reality.

TheFrog

Coach
If Nine believe Gus is the problem it's easily fixed. Give him the Hook treatment. But Gus has been opinionated and well-disliked for two decades now. Like the late Stan Zemanek on radio , people tune in to be offended by his sometimes outrageous views (which are in fact often just theatre) and his employer would not dream of sacking him. My opinion is that it is the continual refereeing crackdowns at the whim of certain individuals and the perception of favouritism towards certain teams that is turning the punters off. It also doesn't help when you've got the same old teams having success year in and year out.

Stallion

First Grade
If Nine believe Gus is the problem it's easily fixed. Give him the Hook treatment. But Gus has been opinionated and well-disliked for two decades now. Like the late Stan Zemanek on radio , people tune in to be offended by his sometimes outrageous views (which are in fact often just theatre) and his employer would not dream of sacking him. My opinion is that it is the continual refereeing crackdowns at the whim of certain individuals and the perception of favouritism towards certain teams that is turning the punters off. It also doesn't help when you've got the same old teams having success year in and year out.

Think the video refereeing incompetence and the overuse of referring to such decisions are pissing plenty of fans off. Both at the game and viewing tv games.