What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Abacus

Juniors
I understand where @OldPanther is coming from trying to get Burton in the team, but agree with @Kilkenny that FB is not the way to do it. FB is perhaps the 2nd most high-pressure and focused on position in any team (after half back). There's a reason most clubs try to bring their FBs through to NRL via wing, centre or off the bench. FB in the NRL can be daunting for young players.

If we're going to look to give Burton some time to acclimatise to NRL, I think left centre is the place. It will let him play 80 minutes most weeks defending in the front line and be a 3rd or 4th choice playmaking option (not a bad thing given our lack of attacking structure). It also lets us keep our FB options open given the wraps on a couple of the young guys. Also gives Nathan the options of Luai and Burton either side of him, in which case a line running Edwards should be effective.

Admittedly, I probably prefer the old school approach given the success experienced by guys like Fittler, Daley, Brett Kenny. At the end of the day, I'd like to see us develop Burton into from a talented kid with NRL potential to a long term, rep quality Panther.

franklin2323

Immortal
One of Burton/Luai should be centre. The other 5/8th defence or attack not many differences should make it easier

OldPanther

Coach
I understand where @OldPanther is coming from trying to get Burton in the team, but agree with @Kilkenny that FB is not the way to do it. FB is perhaps the 2nd most high-pressure and focused on position in any team (after half back). There's a reason most clubs try to bring their FBs through to NRL via wing, centre or off the bench. FB in the NRL can be daunting for young players.

If we're going to look to give Burton some time to acclimatise to NRL, I think left centre is the place. It will let him play 80 minutes most weeks defending in the front line and be a 3rd or 4th choice playmaking option (not a bad thing given our lack of attacking structure). It also lets us keep our FB options open given the wraps on a couple of the young guys. Also gives Nathan the options of Luai and Burton either side of him, in which case a line running Edwards should be effective.

Admittedly, I probably prefer the old school approach given the success experienced by guys like Fittler, Daley, Brett Kenny. At the end of the day, I'd like to see us develop Burton into from a talented kid with NRL potential to a long term, rep quality Panther.

The more I think about it I'm more than happy with that as a way to fit them all in and get them experience.

One of Burton/Luai should be centre. The other 5/8th defence or attack not many differences should make it easier

He looks very good on the left so he could partner Naden or Mansour on that side with Crichton and To'o on the other:

1. Edwards
2. Naden/Mansour
3. Burton
4. Crichton
5. To'o

I used to like the John Lang forward use of the second rowers taking first hit ups and then the props the next two. Would this be successful these days?

We were very lucky because we had Puletua and Galuvao. They were feared by most teams, but then to follow up with a Lang/Clinton/Ross hit-up........

Damn that was a good forward pack!! No wonder Gower, Campbell and Wesser had field days back in the day.

I reckon it would still work. We have the second rowers to do it

OldPanther

Coach
We were very lucky because we had Puletua and Galuvao. They were feared by most teams, but then to follow up with a Lang/Clinton/Ross hit-up........

Damn that was a good forward pack!! No wonder Gower, Campbell and Wesser had field days back in the day.

I reckon it would still work. We have the second rowers to do it

Martin and Kikau followed by Fish and Lenui ooh boy.

franklin2323

Immortal
I used to like the John Lang forward use of the second rowers taking first hit ups and then the props the next two. Would this be successful these days?

Watching those old games. Footy has changed so much and for the worse. Not sure if it would

Abacus

Juniors
Maybe if we go that way we can focus on faster, more agile players in the outside backs rather than hit-up merchants.

Abacus

Juniors
Only my opinion, but I don't think Luai is, or ever will be, suited to centre, hooker or utility.

Even in the halves next year, he should be told to park the big Karmichael step. His speed is his asset - no point nullifying it himself by jumping to a stop.

martielang

Bench
Tbh I think we’re getting a bit carried away with Burton. Looks a player with the ball but got found out defensively the entire second half leading to 18+ points. No doubt fatigue & inexperience had a lot to do with it, but at the same time I can’t remember Luai having those issues.

Pomoz

Bench
Only my opinion, but I don't think Luai is, or ever will be, suited to centre, hooker or utility.

Even in the halves next year, he should be told to park the big Karmichael step. His speed is his asset - no point nullifying it himself by jumping to a stop.
His speed, or his agility? Is he that fast? I think elusive rather than fast and should use his footwork to beat players where it makes sense.

Pomoz

Bench
Tbh I think we’re getting a bit carried away with Burton. Looks a player with the ball but got found out defensively the entire second half leading to 18+ points. No doubt fatigue & inexperience had a lot to do with it, but at the same time I can’t remember Luai having those issues.
I hear you, but you only have to look at his build to see that he is far too skinny to cope with the big players yet. Don't be fooled by his weight. His 88 kgs is spread over a lengthy 6'4". Two more off seasons to build his strength and I think he will be fine. He showed that he will get stuck in, he just doesn't have the strength to make that count. The trick will be be to make sure that he gains weight without losing speed and agility.

Panfa

Juniors
A spine of holmes burton cleary koroisau is looking much better we should make a play for Holmes hes a proven match winner.

franklin2323

Immortal
I hear you, but you only have to look at his build to see that he is far too skinny to cope with the big players yet. Don't be fooled by his weight. His 88 kgs is spread over a lengthy 6'4". Two more off seasons to build his strength and I think he will be fine. He showed that he will get stuck in, he just doesn't have the strength to make that count. The trick will be be to make sure that he gains weight without losing speed and agility.

That is it. These young guys need an off season or 2 to build up but I see us as needing attack more than defence