What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: NRL Expansion

Gronk

Staff member
Shouldn't need to cut teams. Would better to add two (means extra game for TV) and introduce a conference system with true home and away rounds, followed by new finals system.

Elite players are already complaining that the season is too long. If you add two teams, the game will need to fund those two extra teams PLUS compensate the players for playing two extra rounds. The talent pool would be diluted, yet being paid more. Not a great business model IMHO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Adding teams doesn't mean the season has to be longer. It just means you play fewer teams twice, which is probably fairer anyway.

JokerEel

Coach
Elite players are already complaining that the season is too long. If you add two teams, the game will need to fund those two extra teams PLUS compensate the players for playing two extra rounds. The talent pool would be diluted, yet being paid more. Not a great business model IMHO.

Tell WA Government to Fund the Perth team and the second Brisbane team should be able to fund themselves, if by reports it is the Redcliff Dolphins they have a leagues club to back them..

I have Been saying it bring in the 2 extra teams split it up to 2 conference system to make it a fair competition for the out of Sydney teams.

Morons on twitter seem to not understand that Cowboys/Warriors/Storm/Titans/Broncos/Raiders/Knights (Perth/Brisbane2) already have to travel having them play each other twice and then the Sydney teams once would even the competition out.

Put them in their own conference/ladder for a spot in the finals.

Also it would mean there would be still a Magic round in QLD..

84 Baby

Referee
Tell WA Government to Fund the Perth team and the second Brisbane team should be able to fund themselves, if by reports it is the Redcliff Dolphins they have a leagues club to back them..

I have Been saying it bring in the 2 extra teams split it up to 2 conference system to make it a fair competition for the out of Sydney teams.

Morons on twitter seem to not understand that Cowboys/Warriors/Storm/Titans/Broncos/Raiders/Knights (Perth/Brisbane2) already have to travel having them play each other twice and then the Sydney teams once would even the competition out.

Put them in their own conference/ladder for a spot in the finals.

Also it would mean there would be still a Magic round in QLD..
I posted a 4 group conference system ages ago, but given every team doesn’t play each team twice, a formal conference system isn’t necessary. They can just doctor the draw to cover everything. Hopefully by giving us easy draws

JokerEel

Coach
I posted a 4 group conference system ages ago, but given every team doesn’t play each team twice, a formal conference system isn’t necessary. They can just doctor the draw to cover everything. Hopefully by giving us easy draws

That's the thing if I was a Cowboys or Warriors fan I wouldn't think it fIair they have to travel more than the Eels and then compete with them for a semi final spot..

Haynzy

First Grade
Absolutely. A whole bunch of people would hate to see Parra go.

We're a club with a history in the glorious 80s.
We're in the centre of Sydney.
We have a bunch of Western Sydney rivals.
We have a big fan base.

Plenty of people love Parra even if they don't support them.

Other teams?
Brisbane - Everyone hates them. Everyone would scream if they were cut. Need the big Brisbane team.
Melbourne - Everyone hates them. Most people would scream if they were cut because we need a team in that city.
Penrith - Need the westie team. They absolutely have their own identity.
Souths - Tradition. Do not cut.
Roosters - Tradition. Do not cut.
Dragons - Tradition. Do not cut.
Cowboys - Like Penrith, have their own bogan identity. Also, have their own region. No one would want them cut.
Manly - Everyone hates them. No one wants them cut.
Warriors - Like Melbourne, need a team in that area for the good of the league.
Newcastle - Have their own identity and their own region. People would spew if the NRL tried to cut them.
Tigers - Have the whole Leichardt feels bullshit going, which gives them an identity. I personally couldn't care less about them but a lot of others do.
Dogs - Respected team, even when down in the dumps. Would not be anywhere near anyone's first choice.

So, who would cause the least fuss to cut?
Sharks - No one gives a shit about them except the Dragons.
Titans - No one gives a shit about them. Some would be against it because you need as many Qld teams as possible to counter the Broncos dominance.

I think Canberra sit in the middle, but are probably closer to Newcastle (important regional team) than the Sharks.

So, basically, if there has to be one Sydney team that goes, it's the Sharks. Not that i want them gone - I'd prefer an expansion to 16 teams with Brisbane 2 and Perth - but if it has to happen for whatever reason, then f**k the Sharks.

The other thing to factor in is TV viewing. I don't have the details but from other discussions I'ver read,
Parra apparently rate well on TV, Canberra don't, Titans don't, Sharks don't.

I think Sharks are the most obvious choice but I can't see it happening unless thery relocate to WA and play most of their home games in Perth but a couple at Shark park.

emjaycee

Coach
That's the thing if I was a Cowboys or Warriors fan I wouldn't think it fIair they have to travel more than the Eels and then compete with them for a semi final spot..
Neither of them seriously competed with us this year.