What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Effectiveness

Knight Vision

First Grade
So virtually the whole Warriors or Broncos squad should be discounted? Yeah, let’s give one town clubs more advantages. Plus there’s still a lot of risk and investment required in a 16 year old
only if the develop them yes. Many of the Broncos players in the current squad arent Broncos juniors. It would see clubs like Raiders Panthers and Knights flourish and clubs like the Roosters finding it hard to compete.....and rightfully so. .

lazza

Juniors
only if the develop them yes. Many of the Broncos players in the current squad arent Broncos juniors. It would see clubs like Raiders Panthers and Knights flourish and clubs like the Roosters finding it hard to compete.....and rightfully so. .

Why is local juniors such a big deal to also need a discount in the salary cap? You effectively already have “first pick” by having them as your local junior in your system so to speak. Developing 15-16 yo is by no means a guarantee. And then you look at someone like Papenhuyzen - he was shopped around and no one wanted him - bad management played a bigger part than actual talent itself.

I think a draft model is the better model and where contracts allow players to be traded like overseas sport models.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You need to have players stop re-siging for the current club for "unders"..

I agree to an extent and this happens a lot to a certain team that has an very high amount of TPAs, when the total cash payments they are on are not actually unders.

Once again TPAs are the problem.

Valheru

Coach

Lol no it wouldn't

Those clubs are just poorly run and it is always someone's fault other then their own that they are failures.

The victim mentality is strong.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I agree to an extent and this happens a lot to a certain team that has an very high amount of TPAs, when the total cash payments they are on are not actually unders.

Once again TPAs are the problem.

tpa_20181213.jpg

Storm get basically 25% extra, broncos 20% and the rest 5% or next to nothing.

jack coburn

Juniors
Between 1946 and 1971 there was 4 different premieres.
In the last 9 years we have had 7. Pretty simple something is working. Maybe we go back to the years when Souths and saints had whole international players in reserve grade cause they were that good a side.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The salary cap is actually hurting the teams it was designed to help. The lower teams have to pay overs to attract talent so they get less bang for their buck. Also way easier to attract TPAs when your successful.

Iam not sure what the answer is but the cap certainly is not helping a lot of teams
How would that situation be any different if there was no salary cap?

Cap or not, weaker sides always have to pay overs for players.

carcharias

Immortal
So, the salary cap isn't working because there were great sides assembled before the salary cap existed?

Woah pump the brakes man

I wasn’t having a crack at Manly.
All I’m saying is there isn’t much difference between pre cap and post cap.
Manly assembled a great squad , they paid what it took.
Good on them.
These TPA’S are basically no difference.
Like someone else said ... certain clubs pay unders for elite players and then cover the rest with TPA’s .
It still means clubs who can access the most money can stack their team with the best players.
It’s not against any rules...it’s just the way it is.

The NRL need to just admit the cap is bullshit.

t-ba

Post Whore
And yet the Broncos are gumbies, despite having a Australia's third city to draw on exclusively for Third Party sources

carcharias

Immortal
And yet the Broncos are gumbies, despite having a Australia's third city to draw on exclusively for Third Party sources
Yeah well
Just because you pay them the most money doesn’t always mean they’ll be any good.
Some dudes just turn to shit once they hit their pay day gig.

It works for the NBA.

Not always. I mean look at the 1980s - early 2000s. The Los Angeles Clippers were a team that spent the b8ulk of their cap, had regular good draft picks, yet season after season were amongst the also rans in the NBA. Why? Mainly because they had Elgin Baylor as the GM during that period and his draft picks were mostly terrible. e blew it in draft after draft, and when on the few occasions he got a genuine talent, he would alienate them so they would leave. Its only been since they got rid of him and got in decent talent in the front office that has seen the Clippers sign and retain good players and make them relevant again.

And how many players will the Roosters lose after they take out another GF?

They have an international backline including 2 of the best centres in the game, the best fullback as well as Cronk and Keary who should've played SOO.

At the very least, Cooper Cronk who is retiring at the end of this season.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think a club junior should count less under the cap and the longer the player stays at the club the less it costs under the cap. It would encourage clubs to nurture their own talent.

It should to be around 14yrs of age or less to count as a junior. The Roosters pluck the sure bets of other clubs at around 16yrs old and then claim them as a Roosters junior.

"Sure bets" lol.
The chances of an under 20s club player making a dent at NRL is maybe 1 in 10
16s far lower

Every club runs similar junior rep setups. The professional club has almost zero to do with anything that happens before that age, and relies on luck of geography, parent volunteers and most of all, pokies.

adamkungl

Immortal
Most of the mid-tier paid players in that list 200k-400k, would get double elsewhere. I smell brown paper bags...

Most of them are young with a long way to go, or old and on their way out.
If another club wants to pay Latrell 800k, for example, good luck to them. What's that clubs plan? Can they build a successful roster around a centre, who is sometimes rocks and diamonds?
And what about from his perspective. He'll get paid at Roosters - eventually. Will he get more long term success out of the Roosters environment and wait a bit longer for the big pay day, or take big money now to try and dig a bottom 4 club out of a hole.

Your conclusion is brown paper bags when the real answer lies in your first comment:

Adam Blair is on 800.00 too at the warriors. Utterly depressing.

Every club in theory would spend money in a pretty similar way. Top 5 players all on somewhere between 650k-1M. These are the guys you build a successful roster around, or bring in to fill
Then your reliable clubmen on middle money, and minimum wage on the bottom end.

But you have some clubs who are terrible at choosing their top 5 (see: Adam Blair, Ben Hunt) and other clubs who are paying 500k to players in reserve grade (Tigers), or worse, other clubs (Panthers).

I doubt Roosters are paying a single dollar for someone to play against them. Panthers will apparently be paying $1M in wages to Eels players next year.

Tommy Smith

Referee
A salary cap is not immune from stupidity.

No one forced the Wests Tigers or Ivan Cleary to sign Mbye, Reynolds, Packer and Matulino to deals for close to a combined 3m dollars.

Michael Maguire deserves the keys to the city for taking a team with that kind of cap clusterf**k to within one game of the finals.

And no one forced the Titans to sign Ash Taylor, Shannon Boyd, Peats, Peachey, Leilani Latu and Bryce Cartwright to big deals, either. Seriously how's that for cap management?

Every team that is, or has recently been miserable has a combination of four characteristics in common - shocking management, poor coaching, a bad club culture, and woeful cap management.

A club like Penrith have threatened to get it all right recently, only for a bad culture to continually bite them on the ass.

The Roosters got it awfully wrong on a few of those counts post Fittler and it resulted in over half a decade of misery. Since then we struck gold in Trent Robinson who in time may well be remembered as the greatest coach in the history of the game. That was a punt from Uncle Nick that will shape an entire era of success for the club.

And then two years later after a shocking season, Russell Crowe delivered us the NRLs next great playmaker on a plate. So I guess sometimes it's also just as important to be lucky as it is smart.

But seriously I could analayse every single NRL club to highlight just how utterly stupid in the extreme is the notion that "we have a salary cap, therefore success should be spread evenly."

But I can't be bothered because the usual suspects will still cry "... but but, Sombrero" regardless.

adamkungl

Immortal
From our original 2012 Top 4 finish, there are only 4 players who remain at the Rabbitohs:

Sam Burgess
Adam Reynolds
John Sutton (retiring)
George Burgess (leaving)

Heck, after this year we'll only have 4 players left from our 2014 premiership team (Alex Johnston, Adam Reynolds, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess).

That's a pretty big turnover in 5 years. I'd say the salary cap is working fine.

Some clubs are just run better than others.

This actually highlights what is wrong with a salary cap. It punishes success.

How times have changed for Souths fans

Valheru

Coach
A salary cap is not immune from stupidity.

No one forced the Wests Tigers or Ivan Cleary to sign Mbye, Reynolds, Packer and Matulino to deals for close to a combined 3m dollars.

Michael Maguire deserves the keys to the city for taking a team with that kind of cap clusterf**k to within one game of the finals.

And no one forced the Titans to sign Ash Taylor, Shannon Boyd, Peats, Peachey, Leilani Latu and Bryce Cartwright to big deals, either. Seriously how's that for cap management?

Every team that is, or has recently been miserable has a combination of four characteristics in common - shocking management, poor coaching, a bad club culture, and woeful cap management.

A club like Penrith have threatened to get it all right recently, only for a bad culture to continually bite them on the ass.

The Roosters got it awfully wrong on a few of those counts post Fittler and it resulted in over half a decade of misery. Since then we struck gold in Trent Robinson who in time may well be remembered as the greatest coach in the history of the game. That was a punt from Uncle Nick that will shape an entire era of success for the club.

And then two years later after a shocking season, Russell Crowe delivered us the NRLs next great playmaker on a plate. So I guess sometimes it's also just as important to be lucky as it is smart.

But seriously I could analayse every single NRL club to highlight just how utterly stupid in the extreme is the notion that "we have a salary cap, therefore success should be spread evenly."

But I can't be bothered because the usual suspects will still cry "... but but, Sombrero" regardless.

Common sense doesn't belong in this thread.

It is always the fault of others that a club sucks, never their own.

blaza88z

Coach
Melbourne and co simply manage their cap better, my club has every possible resource available to us and still can't get it right, it really does come down to the clubs consistently at the top being able to manage their cap the best.

I know it's easy to accuse others of cheating the cap and having an unfair advantage but again as a Brisbane fan, i'd say we have an unfair advantage and look where that's got us.

Latest posts