What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The club is choosing McGregor over Frizell

TruSaint

Referee
If what I read is correct "Tyson wants to take his game to another level" it has nothing to do with De Belin, it has all to do with the current make believe coach.

It has a fair bit to do with JDB, but not what some posters are suggesting.

Some think he's upset that the Club didn't do ENOUGH for JDB in defence, is not what Frizz thinks. It will all come out in the wash.

slippery5

Juniors
Yes mate. I hope the reasons come out. I have a feeling I know but am not in a position to post here.

I wasn't having a go at you.. In normal circumstances I would go with your sentiment, but sadly we live in a fricken twilight zone. I wouldn't be at all surprised if more leave.
We can only hope Mary is at the top of the list.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sorry Mary, it's time to go

Paddy
new author
Roar Rookie
16 hours ago

In 2019 the team conceded the most points in a season in St George Illawarra history (575), and scored the second fewest (427), and achieved the worst differential.

The problems underlying this failure are longstanding. McGregor has repeatedly demonstrated conservative management of his team and squad, failed to develop players and refused to accept responsibility for his errors or learn from his mistakes.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
The current board also failing. In addition to overseeing the club’s worst finish in 98 years, the club has managed the worst ever crowds at Wollongong (5578 versus Melb on 4 June 2019) and Kogarah (6532 v Titans on 10 August). The club is demoralised, their football is terrible, and the fans are either revolting or uninterested.

Dragons’ ladder finishes under McGregor: 2014 (11th), 2015 (eighth), 2016 (11th), 2017 (ninth), 2018 (seventh) and 2019 (15th).

McGregor’s results make for poor reading. Between 2014 and 2019, he has a highest finish of seventh and a lowest of 15th. In a 16-team competition, with a well regulated salary cap, this is an objective failure.

All else being equal teams should finish around eighth or ninth most of the time, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. McGregor’s teams have finished higher than the median just once in six years.

In addition, in 2012 and 2013 as reserve grade coach, he led teams to sixth and ninth.

2019 has been the worst year of McGregor’s long tenure, in addition to being the Dragons’ worst since their grading in 1921.

Advertisement
Sympathetic commentary has sought reasons including the loss of Jack de Belin and the injury to Gareth Widdop. Losing quality players is an issue, but not one unique to the Dragons.

The Storm performed without Cooper Cronk, and the Dragons won four of their first six without de Belin. The problems at the Dragons are deeper, and will not be solved with McGregor at the helm.

Dragons-755x515.jpg

Gareth Widdop and Paul McGregor (AAP Image/Michael Chambers)

End of season fade-outs
Setting aside 2014 (McGregor’s first half-season), the Dragons have run out of puff mid-way through every year. In 2015 they did not win between Rounds 12 and 21. In 2016, they registered just two wins after Round 16. In 2017, they won four after Round 13. In 2018 it was just three wins after Round 16.

In 2019, after re-signing McGregor for a further two years, the Dragons managed just four wins after Round 6. Two of these were against the atrocious Titans, one against the 14th-placed Cowboys, and one against the then last-placed Bulldogs.

McGregor has not been able to identify or fix these problems. The flip side to this is that for the last three years the Dragons have started the season well.

Rumour has it that the Dragons board is determined not to admit that they erred in re-signing McGregor so soon, and have set him an early 2020 test that he needs to pass in order to retain his position. History suggests he will pass this test, then fade again.

Inability to nurture up and coming talent
In 2016, the Dragons reserve grade side won the premiership and interstate cup under Jason Demetriou. Demetriou was moved on the next year. In 2019 the Dragons reserve grade side is in the preliminary final under Matt Head. There are reports he will be sacked at the end of the year.

Advertisement
The Dragons’ development systems are full of talent that does not get a look into McGregor’s teams, and either atrophies or looks for opportunities elsewhere.

For example Lachlan Timm leads the reserve grade competition for runs, decoy runs, metres, post contact metres and tackles. McGregor could not find a place for him in his top 21 all year, nor explain to fans why.

paul-mcgregor-755x515.jpg

Dragons coach Paul McGregor needs to shake his team selections up. (AAP Image/Michael Chambers)

Jackson Ford, who just trailed Timm in numerous categories, was given a start in Round 21 with the season long gone. Jason Saab was handed a jersey in Round 19. Zac Lomax was demoted to reserve grade after starring at the back end of 2018. Reuben Garrick, starved of opportunities, fled to Manly where he starred.

Pat Herbert found a start at the Warriors. Josh Kerr, Mikaele Ravilawa, Jai Field, Taane Milne were and are ignored. Coach favourites Josh McCrone, Jeremy Latimore, Euan Aitken, Tim Lafai and others have been automatic selections, and opportunities presented to journeymen like Lachlan Maranta and Patrick Faufusi.

This phenomenon is not new. As early as 2016 articles about this coaching technique destroying the Dragons were written after McGregor “left the great red and white hope and off-load machine, Luciano Leilua, on the bench” in a crucial game until the team was 30 points down and the season done.

The highly talented Leilua remains a fringe first grader in 2019. In 2017, Brendan Bradford asked whether it was “time for McGregor to start playing some of the young-guns the Dragons have in their ranks?” McGregor circa 2019 appears to disagree still.

Sympathetic commentators point out that squad deficiencies are not McGregor’s fault. Apart from the fact that McGregor himself says he ‘has the roster he wants’, those same commentators would do well to acknowledge that McGregor lost responsibility for recruitment and retention after a disastrous 2016 season at the recommendation of Mark Coyne and the board.

getsmarty

Immortal
Part 2

Inability to accept shortcomings and demonstrate leadership

Andrew Webster recently wrote about the Dragons ‘season from hell’, noting the de Belin and Widdop issues, but also questioning some of the other excuses offered.

For a period McGregor’s press conferences became a catchphrase bingo as he noted the opposition scored tries from kicks (as if they don’t count) among other odd pronouncements.

In April after losing to the Roosters, McGregor repeatedly referred to them as ‘the best team in the world’.

In June he said that ‘If we stop the game after 30 minutes we’re in the top four’.

In July he said the team had “next level distractions and no element of luck”.

When the team had slid to 14th McGregor declared that “we can win [the comp]”.

McGregor is well supported by a revolving cast of assistants who appear to take the fall for the team’s results.

In addition to Demetriou and Head being moved on despite their success, reports are that Ben Hornby, Mick Crawley and maybe Dean Young are also on their way out after 2019.

They join the numerous other backroom staff that the Dragons have cycled through in the McGregor years. Across town, Trent Robinson supported the ambitious Adam O’Brien’s interest in the top job at Newcastle, saying “That’s what head coaches are there for. We are there to develop and progress, and he is good enough for the job.” The difference in leadership philosophy and respect is stark.

Throughout 2019 there has been a deafening silence from the Dragons CEO and board as records tumbled.

The club made prominent noises about a Gould review late in the season, only for it to appear to be a sham. The press release noted that Gould had ‘agreed to take part in aspects’ of the review.

Gould later acknowledged he was not being paid, and was involved “as a favour to Dragons coach and good friend Paul McGregor, who will not be under pressure.”

The Dragons are crumbling with McGregor at the helm.

Removing responsibilities has not worked and nor has cycling through assistants. For the sake of the fans, I hope that there is more happening behind the scenes than it appears.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/24/sorry-mary-its-time-to-go/

Warabrook saint

Juniors
If Frizz wants to go....dont let him.
Do whatever it takes to keep him.....but firstly ensure that he is not directly coached by the janitor named Mary on big bucks. Let the Gould / Flanno show run things and phase McNugget out. It can be done.
Mary has been quoted:..."while I am here Frizz is going nowhere...we have been through a lot together"
Love is grand but let him coach the cleaning staff while still employed and him and Frizz can still catch up from time to time.

Then again...chance to play finals footy in lieu of Dragons footy may be a bridge too far
Pass McNugget out, easier said than done

possm

Coach
It has a fair bit to do with JDB, but not what some posters are suggesting.

Some think he's upset that the Club didn't do ENOUGH for JDB in defence, is not what Frizz thinks. It will all come out in the wash.
Our CEO did not get in the face of the NRL and strike a deal in early December. The NRL should have taken over responsiblility and just suspended JDB on full pay. All dealings and responsibilities should have been taken on by the NRL. Greenburg could have just paid his contract out and with the proviso that if he beat the charges, he would be welcome back into the NRL. JDB would have accepted this and Johnston should have brought this idea to the NRL.

TruSaint

Referee
Our CEO did not get in the face of the NRL and strike a deal in early December. The NRL should have taken over responsiblility and just suspended JDB on full pay. All dealings and responsibilities should have been taken on by the NRL. Greenburg could have just paid his contract out and with the proviso that if he beat the charges, he would be welcome back into the NRL. JDB would have accepted this and Johnston should have brought this idea to the NRL.

JDB was never left without his contract money. Yet, we had a coach and CEO ( as reported ) watching the last court case hours before a game hoping JDB would play. Yes, actually waiting until the TV coverage was over. That's how dumb we are. Some senior players didn't like that.

Saint or sinner

Juniors
To lose a man of frizells standing not only amongst our supporters but all nrl supporters is an embarrassment to our whole club from the CEO to the whole board and coaching staff . I would be gutted if he left but at the same time don't blame him and wish him all the best. The place is a rabble and has been so since 2010..all I can say is thanks Tyson for busting your ass week I week out for our club. You should of been made captain of the joint..if everyone played like you we'd be in top 4 every year..

possm

Coach
JDB was never left without his contract money. Yet, we had a coach and CEO ( as reported ) watching the last court case hours before a game hoping JDB would play. Yes, actually waiting until the TV coverage was over. That's how dumb we are. Some senior players didn't like that.
Yes I know JDB was continuing to be paid his salary. But given that this new policy was introduced and effected the Dragons more than anyone, it would have been good if JDB was offered a deal by the NRL - a contract payout - and in return JDB agrees to just lay low until the legal case is over.

In this way the NRL would have had less publicity on the matter, no litigation and SGI could have just recruited a new player on JDB's salary cap.

I'm sure the JDB affair caused a lot of problems within the squad and I'm also sure that Mary's extension was a big disappointment to the majority of players in the top 30.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Spot on true

moes

Bench
Stick solid??
A club keeping a guy facing big criminal charges in the squad and around the team and renewing a coach with no ability for a further 2 years would be enough to strain the very best of relationships let alone commercial one's.
The club sticks solid with all the wrong people and lets the very best of the club slip through its fingers all for the want of a few bucks and a respectful ear that listens to legitimate concerns and opinions.
I've followed this lot for the best part of 60 years and only because of my dogged determination to see these merkins end up in hell do I keep on following them.

At least it appears you’ve seen the successful and never to be repeated era & dragons teams.

nontime111

Juniors
All Gould will do is arrange for Frizell and Mc Innes plus Lomax to go to the Roosters and then leave a mess like he did when he left the Panthers. Gould is a punch drunk gas bag with a bee stung face who is full of hot air and self importance. We should get David Waite in to sort out the mess.
yes but he might do something good

Dragon David

First Grade
To lose a man of frizells standing not only amongst our supporters but all nrl supporters is an embarrassment to our whole club from the CEO to the whole board and coaching staff . I would be gutted if he left but at the same time don't blame him and wish him all the best. The place is a rabble and has been so since 2010..all I can say is thanks Tyson for busting your ass week I week out for our club. You should of been made captain of the joint..if everyone played like you we'd be in top 4 every year..
I'm as mad as hell and I can't take this anymore!!! If Tyson leaves it will be another nail in the coffin of this once mighty club of ours. It will certainly be a complete embarrassment to everything traditionally we stood for since 1921 as the St George Dragons and the St George Illawarra Dragons from 1999 when it appears that a lot of our players are wanting to abandon the club. Why! why! why oh why! has the club become such a complete rabble. You know that things are bad when they have to get someone like Gus Gould to investigate our problems. What is the CEO being paid to do for Heaven's sake?!!!

denis preston

First Grade
I'm as mad as hell and I can't take this anymore!!! If Tyson leaves it will be another nail in the coffin of this once mighty club of ours. It will certainly be a complete embarrassment to everything traditionally we stood for since 1921 as the St George Dragons and the St George Illawarra Dragons from 1999 when it appears that a lot of our players are wanting to abandon the club. Why! why! why oh why! has the club become such a complete rabble. You know that things are bad when they have to get someone like Gus Gould to investigate our problems. What is the CEO being paid to do for Heaven's sake?!!!

Clearly it is the board and with WIN entering the scene as (equal ? ) partner it has only compounded the deficiencies, as WIN is one man , the owners son. The owners son is clearly very, very unprofessional and right in the middle of the boys network and probably controlling it. His dad doesn't give a shit that his son is using the Dragons as his plaything and a way to have friends like McGregor.Young etc.At least when we had the Steelers there we had more than one guy running their show.

possm

Coach
Clearly it is the board and with WIN entering the scene as (equal ? ) partner it has only compounded the deficiencies, as WIN is one man , the owners son. The owners son is clearly very, very unprofessional and right in the middle of the boys network and probably controlling it. His dad doesn't give a shit that his son is using the Dragons as his plaything and a way to have friends like McGregor.Young etc.At least when we had the Steelers there we had more than one guy running their show.
You have correctly highlighted a huge problem at SGI. I would add that when SGI start to rapidly lose revenue, Win will want out even though it is under WIN's nominated chairperson that these stupid decisions and deals have been made. I'd say that the value of SGI shares have tumbled since the WIN buy in and so WIN is setting itself up for a big loss.

denis preston

First Grade
You have correctly highlighted a huge problem at SGI. I would add that when SGI start to rapidly lose revenue, Win will want out even though it is under WIN's nominated chairperson that these stupid decisions and deals have been made. I'd say that the value of SGI shares have tumbled since the WIN buy in and so WIN is setting itself up for a big loss.
Some others on here may know better but i believe the Leagues club is trading well enough to wait until WIN get sick of it and make a offer ? Couple of years down the track but the way the Board is setup is very messy and Gordon has way too much power for a bloke who would have very limited rugby league nous.

Latest posts