What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP NRL

greenBV4

Bench
Well TV viewers are down a staggering 33% in the last 5 years

Or 1.35 mil viewers

Seems a LOT of people are walking away from the game

2015 would of had alot of qld viewers, then the 3 years after that Im sure would of had a large number of viewers from the countries 2nd biggest city (lots of people down here with little/no interest in NRL watch origin and storm grand finals), throw in an increase in streaming services and that would make up a large chunk of those missing viewers

Lambretta

First Grade
IMO get rid of the bunker, get rid of the ear piece the ref wear's, the sideline officials should only intervene for foul play, and the assistant/pocket ref should never be shouting at the referee about a decision, the assistant ref should just be officiating the tackle area.

The referee is God, he/she is always right, that's the way it should be.

What it does is highlight the problem with trying to gain perfection in an imperfect World.

Had there been one referee the call would not have been changed.

When there are multiple people officiating you are going to end up with situations where two different people think two different things.

I do not think the referees are at fault, rather we have a system that is flawed.

One referee with no outside influence was always the best method available

The sooner we go back there the better

RedVDragon

Juniors
A ref cannot overrule a decision once made during play. Anyway the last two have been the most boring footy so the rorters deserve the trophy in a era of boring footy. Supporters are walking away with the exception of the 5000 supporters of the rorters

MilkShark

First Grade
A ref cannot overrule a decision once made during play. Anyway the last two have been the most boring footy so the rorters deserve the trophy in a era of boring footy. Supporters are walking away with the exception of the 5000 supporters of the rorters
Sometimes I don't even watch my own teams games

lazza

Juniors
Hopefully all this hysteria and the poor ratings across the season ( I believe the GF had the lowest ratings since 2002? )
Gives the NRL the kick in the pants it needs to give the game an overhaul. If the NRL get rid of the wrestle, get rid of the over officiating, consistency at the judiciary, stop sending every try to the bunker ( maybe bring in captains challenge ?) they'll be going along way to bringing fans back.
With a new TV deal its important to get those rating up. Hopefully VLandys is the man to do it.
:/
First thing they need to do is get rid of is gus grumpy Gould

Valheru

Coach

Or 1.35 mil viewers

What has the trend been for TV in general in that time frame with the rise of Netflix and other streaming services?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Or 1.35 mil viewers

When you have the media constantly bagging the game and telling everyone how sht it is we shouldnt be surprised. Only in RL would people who actually make a living from a game having fans, work so hard to turn those same fans off the game!

siv

First Grade
What has the trend been for TV in general in that time frame with the rise of Netflix and other streaming services?

Even if you added 9Now streaming as Fox and Kayo didn't broadcast the game. Netflix and other services are competitors to the NRL

1.35 mil people abandoning the game is something that needs to be addressed

Noting that Australian population has increased 8% in the same period - so in real terms the drop is even bigger

LineBall

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/finals/nrl-grand-final-ben-cummins-sixagain-canberra-raiders-v-sydney-roosters-josh-hodgson/news-story/4ef348dc0695d279cf4c5e0ebf94402c?fbclid=IwAR1cy4j8Ji_BHKEwFaz7gafyqg3J1rnpiRN0S-oO7Qb_Gus9Nf1MDH9T7V4

Under-fire NRL Grand Final referee Ben Cummins told Canberra players: I never said six again

NRL FINALS

• October 8, 2019 7:27am
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
fe760eea8e14b6d1f31ae7556e122e8f

Referee Ben Cummins has come under intense scruinty over his six again call in the NRL Grand Final.Source: Getty Images
Referee Ben Cummins claims he did not call six again when Canberra co-captain Josh Hodgson asked him to justify his sudden change of decision in the dying stages of the NRL grand final.

Replays show Cummins waving a fresh set of six in the Raiders’ favour after a high, spiralling kick, but the referee then reversed his decision midway through the tackle, shouting: “it’s last, still last”.

Replay the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final in full on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Instead of kicking the ball on the last once it was regathered, Jack Wighton took the contact - expecting that his side would be gifted six more tackles to attack the Roosters’ line.

Then when he stood up to play the ball, Wighton was told by Cummins that it was a turnover.

Hodgson immediately confronted Cummins and asked him to explain why he had called six again and then changed his mind.

“I asked him about that. He said that he said five and last. He kept five and last in the air. That’s what he told me,” Hodgson told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“I said to him did you not call six again?

“And he said no, I called five and last.

“I thought he (called six again) at the time. That’s why I asked him if he called six again and he said no, I called five and last.”

Although the call was correct — after the ball bounced off Bailey Simonsson’s shoulder — it caused more confusion for the Canberra players that the decision was changed midway through the tackle.

Hodgson, however, says that the Raiders had 80 minutes to win the grand final and that Cummins’ decision had little bearing on the fact Canberra couldn’t pull of an unlikely victory.

“Little things have a big difference sometimes. But that isn’t the only reason we got beaten,” Hodgson said.

“It could have been a lot better but it’s not going to change anything now.”

“We dealt with a fair bit of pressure in that first half. I thought we defended really well to come in (trailing) at 8-6 with the amount of possession we had in the first half.

“But with the amount of possession we had in the second half — we couldn’t capitalise.

“You work so hard for something all year and you get so close. To lose it when it was so close, it’s hard to take.

“It’s small things that win or lose big games and we weren’t too far away.”

no name

Coach
Cummins f**ked up by changing his mind, but the media need to let it go now.

The game itself was outstanding, let’s focus on that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just admit you stuffed up and then we can move it.

Geez so many things that could go wrong the other night, talk about drama.

Ryan James lost for words, the PA bloke talking over the top of Horses and couldnt shut up, the stuff up at the half time competition, JT missing the goal, Hargreaves being told he was the winner but wasnt.

The game itself was intense and full credit to Canberra, they troubled the Roosters but unfortunately couldnt get over the line in the second half. Roosters are too good.

The game got the grand final it deserved. It's been an insipid year for refereeing and the GF was no exception. Cronk being binned, the trainer being hit (was the right ruling in line with the rules but absolute dogshit that the trainer was even in the position to interfere with play,) and the six again f**k up and subsequent denial when the video footage shows otherwise, all sums up what a two-bob organisation the NRL is.

TheFrog

Coach
This is what should have happened. When a mistake was made and it was deemed too disadvantageous to the Roosters to allow play to continue, play should have been immediately stopped, both captains called in and told the circumstances, and the Raiders told to play the ball on the 5th tackle.