What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trainers on the field

Perth Red

Post Whore
He really wasn't because if Cronk didn't commit the foul he would have still been there to make the tackle. Its not like the question becomes "pretend Cronk doesn't exist at all". He just got the timing wrong.

Papalii catches that on the run Cronk is picking himself up off the turf as Papalii celebrates the game winning try. No way he stops him from there. Good bit of cheating by Cronk.

AJB1102

First Grade
Even if Cronk slows Papa up enough for Crichton to turn back and get involved Lui was on his left with a 10m wide gap in front. Only thing that stops me saying it should've been a penalty try is the timing. Cronk was head to the side fully committed to making a try saver on a f**king monster and arrived a microsecond before the ball. Sin bin only because of where it happened - 40m out its a 50/50 and no one remembers it because it's not scrutinised in slow-mo.

Danish

Referee
After the 6 again the Raiders team were still confused from wtf happened which led to easts break down the blindside.

Obviously they need to play the whistle - unless the ref changes their mind.

The definition of “reaching”

Mr Spock!

Referee
BS! It was a breakdown in basic process from Canberra. Leilua tackled Cordner with a good stop on the 4th tackle, but laid around his bootlaces while Boyd played the ball. This was compounded with no other Canberra player taking up marker. Keary exploited these two situations on the 5th tackle. Nothing to do with the 6 again/last tackle call.

Same with Verily try. Tapine turned his back 5 metres from the try line, and turned around to see Verrills about to dive for the try line beside him. It was lazy only a few minutes into the game.

On both occasions, just a f**k up in fundamental process due to laziness.

Coaches ask for accountability from their players. They make more mistakes and shit decisions than the officials. Canberra have to own the loss and improve in those areas where they lost this match. If they make excuses then they won't improve. Roosters were resilient when they were down a man. Canberra didn't convert this opportunity. Roosters converted theirs.
BS

a). Roosters should never have been in that position for the first try

b) The Raiders were confused after that change in call and that carried on into their defensive set. Spoke to someone who was actually at the game.

Roosters only tries (and the only ones they looked like scoring) came off farcical nrl decisions.

nick87

Coach
I have no issue with the sin bin to the letter of the law. Someone mentioned it should’ve been a penalty try. Cronk doesn’t disappear. I contend that if Cronk gets his timing right, he tackles Papali anyway with further cover coming in. Papali was still a fair distance from the try line.

You're right, if Cronk doesnt commit the professional foul, he doesnt just disappear, and whilst i personally think Papalii scores, it was certainly not a given, Cronk is a handy defender and roosters fans would be reasonable in saying Cronk could have made the tackle or at least slowed him down enough for others to help...

So yeah i think they got this spot on, professional foul and 10 in the bin... But on the scale of things, IMO it was closer to a penalty try than it was penalty sufficient.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think you'd have to have had a prolonged and frequent meth habit to rule that a penalty try.

It was 3-4m out and Cronk is the best defensive half in the game. He also a forward on his left ready to assist, plus by far the best defensive fullback in the game ready in cover.

When did the Roosters last concede a simple hit up try from a prop that far out with a set defensive line?

We've conceded 4 trys in our last 5 finals games. One of those being an intercept, so effectively 3. And so I think it's safe to assume we would have stopped Papalii.

Last edited:
This may have already been mentioned, but I remember how often Dessie Hasler was often criticised as being Manly’s “14th player” on the field when he was the club trainer.

Luckily he took on a less controversial role.......

Lambretta

First Grade
You’re a braver man than me.

I still can’t bring myself to watch the 99 GF again, even after all these years.

I can watch it again for you and let you know what happened blow by blow

Always happy to help people with their pain.....

Lambretta

First Grade
On the note of watching / re-watching losing Grand Finals, one of these days I have to watch the 04 final against the Dogs.

I was at a wedding in Melbourne on the day and missed it. Once I heard the result I just never watched.

Maybe its about time.

juro

Bench
If he was closer to the try line, maybe.

Cronk got to Papali a nanosecond early at worst. If Cronk timed his run a fraction better, how much further up the field towards the roosters try line would Papali have been? A foot? Cronk makes his tackle with more defenders sweeping in.

If the incident occurs closer to the line, maybe there would’ve been less controversy.
FYI, a nanosecond is one billionth of a second.

Latest posts