What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary ..

Pomoz

Bench
There is a post from yourself in this thread where you say Ivan must take responsibility for the state of our club(no ifs ands or buts, no reference to the ceo or any other excuse) and yet you are saying Wayne isn't responsible for signings at a club he was coaching because there was a CEO there, you have put responsibility on Tinkler and on Gidley for the state of Newcastle and absolved Bennett of any responsibility.. You can deny it if you like but it is there in writing plain as day.
I was actually talking about the comments that Bennett left the Knights in a mess and with a crap roster. But anyway, I am a fair man. I try not to be black and white. If there are mitigating circumstances around our non-performance, then I would consider them.

The way I see it, Ivan can reasonably offer the sex tapes scandal as an excuse for the poor start to the season. What he can’t do is explain the lack of fitness and game plans. The roster made the semis three years straight, albeit with some personnel change in 2019. Ivan wasn’t able to continue the trend. Rep players were discarded. He didn’t seem to be able to work with them. The words ‘value” were thrown about and the salary cap was touted as a reason to ditch them. As the season drew on, I didn’t see enough progress to suggest that things will change. If there are mitigating reasons to share the blame around then I’m willing to consider them.

I will acknowledge that having a board consisting mainly of small business owners and a CEO who run a country race track, is not much help to him. However, unlike Bennet, he hasn’t delivered when he has had the right management team behind him, like in his first stint at the Panthers where Gus ruled the roost.

I really hope that the new regime is a resounding success. I want the Panthers to win and be around for many years to come. This year, was not a good start.

Crashtest

Juniors
Ivan takes responsibility for a lot of it as the head coach, the lack of fitness and lack of attacking prowess stand out as pretty big faults of his this year but that doesn’t mean i think he can’t do better going forward and the team can’t get better. I know Ivan is a better coach than what we saw this year, we’ve seen him do much better here previously and i think he will of learnt a lot from this season.
I agree that he is a better coach than what we saw this season, and I even think he can get the team to bounce back into the top 8 next year.

There are a number of reasons why I still think it was a bad decision to bring him back, but what’s done is done and I’m happy to give him another season to see what he can achieve with the team before before writing him off.