What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary ..

Fangs

Coach
Everyone has a use by date though, even Bennett. The fact that Brisbane, a club he won 6 premierships with, didn't think he was up to the task of seeing out his final year of his contract, shows they thought so to.

True. It takes a great coach to last this long though.

Fair point on Brisbane. But the results speak for themselves. Bennett>Seibold. The latter I think is a decent coach but will struggle again in 2020 with his squad. Very similar to Panthers 2017 IMO. I reckon Bennett has Brisbane top 4 in 2019 if he is coaching. He is too good.

mxlegend99

Referee
Everyone has a use by date though, even Bennett. The fact that Brisbane, a club he won 6 premierships with, didn't think he was up to the task of seeing out his final year of his contract, shows they thought so to.
They thought so a decade ago aswell and he won a premiership at Dragons 2 years later.

So long as the players buy into his coaching and respect him he's going to be relevant.

Souths didnt get worse with him. Nor did Broncos improve without him. Infact they just recorded their worse loss in history without him.

betcats

Referee
It is simple really. In 2013 you try and sign players and manage your roster for 2014. The Tinkler financial crisis is now playing out in the press and it is a lot worse than the media are showing.You struggle to sign players and then it all goes pear shaped in 2014, you struggle to sign players for 2015. Now the club has two years where it can't build a roster effectively because the club is broke.

There is a lead and lag. 2012 sets up 2013 and 2013 sets up 2014 and so on.

No double standards applied. I am talking about Bennett, not Cleary. Cleary hasn't had to manage a club that can't pay its players or sign anybody. If he did, he would also have my understanding and sympathy.

There is a post from yourself in this thread where you say Ivan must take responsibility for the state of our club(no ifs ands or buts, no reference to the ceo or any other excuse) and yet you are saying Wayne isn't responsible for signings at a club he was coaching because there was a CEO there, you have put responsibility on Tinkler and on Gidley for the state of Newcastle and absolved Bennett of any responsibility.. You can deny it if you like but it is there in writing plain as day.

franklin2323

Immortal
True. It takes a great coach to last this long though.

Fair point on Brisbane. But the results speak for themselves. Bennett>Seibold. The latter I think is a decent coach but will struggle again in 2020 with his squad. Very similar to Panthers 2017 IMO. I reckon Bennett has Brisbane top 4 in 2019 if he is coaching. He is too good.

Hard to say that due to the changes in the roster. Like with us will take a couple of seasons to judge

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Tinkler wasn't going bust the whole time he was there you are talking shit. You really think Gidley was responsible for the recruitment moreso than Bennett? You are in here blaming Ivan for rep selections but wont hold bennett responsible for the players he signed? What about Boyd? Was he a Gidley signing? Lol what rubbish.

I know what occured in the hunter. I heard stories from local members about how Bennett himself wasn't interested in contiuing community links. He wasn't pro active either with bringing through the junior pathways either. Hence why so many kids now star at other clubs much to the members and fans horror.
This is somthing that Gould set in place beatifully for the future.

Flashstep

Juniors
Bennett as a coach is known for 2 things - he knows how to win and is a fantastic man manager. 2 things our club sorely need, even if he truly left Newy and St George in a hole at least he gave the Dragons a premiership, I'm sure we'd all trade a premiership for another rebuild instead of trading making up the numbers in the finals for another rebuild...

Abacus

Juniors
Genuine question. How well do you think our young predominantly Gen Z roster would of responded to a nearly 70 year old coach?
More pertinent question: how would our predominantly Gen Z roster have responded to a coach that actually knows what it takes to be regularly competitive?

Answer: we won't find out until after 2023.

ACTPanthers

Bench
More pertinent question: how would our predominantly Gen Z roster have responded to a coach that actually knows what it takes to be regularly competitive?

Answer: we won't find out until after 2023.

So there's no point in watching footy for a few years...? Should free up my weekends anyway...

franklin2323

Immortal
Bennett as a coach is known for 2 things - he knows how to win and is a fantastic man manager. 2 things our club sorely need, even if he truly left Newy and St George in a hole at least he gave the Dragons a premiership, I'm sure we'd all trade a premiership for another rebuild instead of trading making up the numbers in the finals for another rebuild...

We always needed a rebuild anyway... The roster was a mess. So I doubt that side of things changes no matter who was the coach.

betcats

Referee
This time last year some of those saying the roster had holes are now saying it is wrong or all on Ivan that changes are happening

I actually rate the roster better than most of us, i still think in round 1 this year we had a side capable of pushing for the top four but things went sideways. Ivan takes responsibility for a lot of it as the head coach, the lack of fitness and lack of attacking prowess stand out as pretty big faults of his this year but that doesn’t mean i think he can’t do better going forward and the team can’t get better. I know Ivan is a better coach than what we saw this year, we’ve seen him do much better here previously and i think he will of learnt a lot from this season.

franklin2323

Immortal
I actually rate the roster better than most of us, i still think in round 1 this year we had a side capable of pushing for the top four but things went sideways. Ivan takes responsibility for a lot of it as the head coach, the lack of fitness and lack of attacking prowess stand out as pretty big faults of his this year but that doesn’t mean i think he can’t do better going forward and the team can’t get better. I know Ivan is a better coach than what we saw this year, we’ve seen him do much better here previously and i think he will of learnt a lot from this season.

For me we were great starting team but very light on depth in most positions. To let a few guys like CHN and Peachey go early and not replace them was a mistake and it showed.

We created plenty of tries most of which were disallowed for various reasons. Under Hook we took those chances that was the difference for me.

Had we of done the same then we wouldn't of fixed the issues would of just been oh just new coach growing pains... So for that reason it was good the year happened.

Latest posts