What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trainers on the field

LineBall

Juniors
I'm obviously in the minority here but I really don't give a toss about trainers on the field.

If a 53 year old Alfie or 43 year old Stacey Jones "running water" plays much of a part in the game I think we're ok.

If you need a trainer out there holding their hand your team is in bad shape and my 2 examples above show it doesn't make much difference. Apart from getting sconed in the GF I don't recall any mentions of the Rooster's trainer. Don't even know who Storm, Eels, Manly, or Raiders trainers are (don't even know Roosters bloke's name) so they can't be too prominent but those sides did better.

In short: unless the merkin gets in the road they have bugger all affect on the game.

Disagree. In my opinion this is where "give them an inch and they take a mile" comes to mind. Easier to keep them off the field entirely unless there is a break in play etc.

T-Boon

Coach
Langer has copped the brunt of criticism on this thread but we should pause to reflect on what a legend and icon he was for the sport as a player.
I was just watching him play on Fox in a 1989 game against Canberra (maybe it was the GF). He was a genius and the game was so superior then to what it is now. He was a pure instinctive footballer and watching that game made me projectile vomit thinking about the structure and wrestling that was about to screw the great game.
Langer was an icon of the game and it is a shame he didn't have the brains to become a coach or commentator. It is nice that the roll of trainer has allowed him to stay a part of the game.
I hated him as a queenslander much like I hated Viv Richards. Looking back I love em.
The rules committee should have one objective: to rid the game of structure and wrestle.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Because they all are. Its probably the most level playing field in NRL lol

And even those legends known for their ability to read a game make bugger all difference.
From the NRL

"“In all cases when trainers enter the field of play to either; attend to an injured player, carry water, or deliver individual messages, they must immediately leave the field once their assigned task has been completed and return to the player’s bench.”"

Dickhead after interfering in play leading to a probable 12 point turnaround....

fe4236e873f241b6dc0fd988e26a1f29

AJB1102

First Grade
From the NRL

"“In all cases when trainers enter the field of play to either; attend to an injured player, carry water, or deliver individual messages, they must immediately leave the field once their assigned task has been completed and return to the player’s bench.”"

Dickhead after interfering in play leading to a probable 12 point turnaround....

fe4236e873f241b6dc0fd988e26a1f29

And? Just because it's in the rule book doesn't mean it's stringently enforced.

Dude has a laugh after getting unexpectedly falconed probably thinking ya don't see that often.

Why do Souths fans care so much? Like more than Raiders fans for f**ks sake.

Mr Spock!

Referee
And? Just because it's in the rule book doesn't mean it's stringently enforced.

Dude has a laugh after getting unexpectedly falconed probably thinking ya don't see that often.

Why do Souths fans care so much? Like more than Raiders fans for f**ks sake.
Because its about the game of rugby league mate. Heck a souths trainer actually forcefully reefed the ball out of an injured panther in a game and the refs did nothing. He copped a 1 game ban.

This rule IS stringently enforced in junior football btw

I'm surprised people don't give a shit.

It's probably why nothing gets done.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
I'm obviously in the minority here but I really don't give a toss about trainers on the field.

If a 53 year old Alfie or 43 year old Stacey Jones "running water" plays much of a part in the game I think we're ok.

If you need a trainer out there holding their hand your team is in bad shape and my 2 examples above show it doesn't make much difference. Apart from getting sconed in the GF I don't recall any mentions of the Rooster's trainer. Don't even know who Storm, Eels, Manly, or Raiders trainers are (don't even know Roosters bloke's name) so they can't be too prominent but those sides did better.

In short: unless the merkin gets in the road they have bugger all affect on the game.

not sure what your point is here

it is precisely because they do sometimes "get in the road" that the rules should be enforced and they should not be on the field longer than necessary

T-Boon

Coach
If a person is allowed to be out there I would rather it be a rule that it has to be the head coach. They should face the music.

Latest posts