What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

Perth Red

Post Whore
I reckon Bennett has had enough of his on field issues re missing games through suspension as well as his ill discipline through penalties when he does manage stay on the field this season.

The extent of the shoulder issue just helps make the gentle push a pretty solid shove.

doubt it, they could put him on the market with a bit of a top up from themselves and he would probably be able to get a bigger contract for 2-3 years at some desperate club. Clubs are throwing $1million at wingers allegedly so on the open market I can see him getting a big contract at titans, bulldogs or tigers etc.

Spot On

Coach
doubt it, they could put him on the market with a bit of a top up from themselves and he would probably be able to get a bigger contract for 2-3 years at some desperate club. Clubs are throwing $1million at wingers allegedly so on the open market I can see him getting a big contract at titans, bulldogs or tigers etc.

A million for a winger???

AJB1102

First Grade
Not often Bennett doesn't back his player. After one of Sam's suspensions Wayne said it was crap he had to fix. In Sam's presser he was adamant that's how he plays and won't be changing. Sam v Wayne is a no contest; 30 year old Sam will retire before 69 year old Wayne.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Rabbitohs set to announce Sam Burgess' immediate retirement
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:06 AM

South Sydney are preparing to announce the immediate retirement of captain Sam Burgess as early as Wednesday afternoon.

In what is set to be a sad end to one of the most decorated careers of the modern era, NRL.com understands a shoulder injury he suffered earlier in the year will bring a premature end to his playing days.

The Englishman is overseas, however South Sydney officials are preparing to announce his exit from the game by the end of the rugby league financial year, which ends on Thursday night.

South Sydney will now work with the NRL to determine how much, if any, of his four-year deal (believed to be worth around $1 million a year) will count in the salary cap.

In 2019, Burgess was a shadow of the player he once was as he battled through the pain of a shoulder injury that dogged him throughout the majority of the season.

It comes after a NewsCorp report that Brisbane Broncos veteran Matt Gillett could also be forced into retirement as he battles his own shoulder problems.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/30/rabbitohs-set-to-announce-sam-burgess-immediate-retirement/

Tommy Smith

Referee
I see Souths are going heavy on the propaganda that Sam's career ending injury had its origins with a shoulder problem this year. The Broncos are doing the same with Gillett.

Both were clearly existing problems and neither club should be able to wipe their salaries clean off the cap.

This will be a big test for Greenberg given these are the NRLs two darling clubs.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I see Souths are going heavy on the propaganda that Sam's career ending injury had its origins with a shoulder problem this year. The Broncos are doing the same with Gillett.

Both were clearly existing problems and neither club should be able to wipe their salaries clean off the cap.

This will be a big test for Greenberg given these are the NRLs two darling clubs.

He played 14 of a possible 19 games after the injury (and missed 1 of those due to suspension), has had 3 major shoulder operations in his career yet we're meant to be lead to believe that the injury in Round 4 has caused this?

Meanwhile The Tigers lodged Ben Matulino (who played 35 of 37 games for the Tigers before his knee injury, none since) medical retirement 8 weeks ago and still dont have an answer from the NRL

We all know how both of these will play out

Anyways interesting to see how Souths go without the extra 3 extra penalties a game theyd get from him dropping it cold

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade
Such a shame for his career to end like this. Two of the best players of their generation now in GI and Sam retiring earlier than they would have liked under difficult circumstances, in the space of 7 months. Couple that with the retirement of Sutton and losing experience like George Burgess, Kyle Turner etc - it's back to the pack we go I fear.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Such a shame for his career to end like this. Two of the best players of their generation now in GI and Sam retiring earlier than they would have liked under difficult circumstances, in the space of 7 months. Couple that with the retirement of Sutton and losing experience like George Burgess, Kyle Turner etc - it's back to the pack we go I fear.

Which pack are we talking about here? The iconic Winnie Blues...

yLPDFhr.jpg

Or the special Souffs plain package edition...

3833950-3x4-340x453.jpg

Springs09

Juniors
If he retires, he retires. He's not owed any money by Souths. If he wants to take up an off-field job at Souths then he gets the amount that job is worth, if its say $500k and Souths still want to pay him $1.2m a year then the remaining $700k goes on the cap.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Maybe it's my natural anti-Souths agenda talking here, being a Roosters fan, but do you think both GI and Sam could have been better managed throughout their careers?

I recall when GI played on with his ACL tear for quite a while in a game and I can't help but think that Souths are in danger of developing a reputation for putting winning above player welfare.

We'll never know but if Sam was at the Storm or Roosters I reckon he'd have been managed a lot better and would still have a few years left in his career.

Fangs

Coach
Sad way to end a brilliant career. Has been one of the best forwards in the game since his arrival in the NRL.

yobbo84

First Grade
Maybe it's my natural anti-Souths agenda talking here, being a Roosters fan, but do you think both GI and Sam could have been better managed throughout their careers?

I recall when GI played on with his ACL tear for quite a while in a game and I can't help but think that Souths are in danger of developing a reputation for putting winning above player welfare.

We'll never know but if Sam was at the Storm or Roosters I reckon he'd have been managed a lot better and would still have a few years left in his career.
For GI I think it was the realisation that he was no longer an elite player that did it for him. He could have continued on and been a solid NRL player, but after an entire lifetime of utterly dominating every level he's ever played at, just being "good" wasn't enough for him.

For Sam, he only knows 1 speed, and it's why he's been as good as he was. Could the Roosters have told Morley to 'calm down' and not play as hard? You get what you get from players like that. If Sam wanted to play a game I don't think anyone at any club could have stopped him. That drive won us a premiership, so you have to take the good with the bad.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Great way to get over the cap, pay big bucks for old players on long term contracts , ‘retire’ them , offer jobs on staff and have big salary cap space to go on splurge and buy players . Rinse repeat . Interesting two years in a row happening with same club and that Sam has to be medically retired but was able to play in the semis just last month.
Even if these are legit , perception is that this is a rort

The cap needs to be removed , let’s see if the south’s , roosters and broncos of this world , who are able to get around cap rules would be able to match other clubs if was free for all if everyone can compete without rules stiffiling some clubs and others having means to get around the rules

Latest posts