What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why ignore our history?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well there's no debate on your words "merger / JV." It is a JV. It is not a merger - never was.

Unfortunately people will make mistakes and call it a merger, that's OK because we are human and sometimes unaware. But there's no logic to persisting with the word merger when the difference has been pointed out.

Good, so there'll be no more of this 16 + 1 stuff, because that's how statisticians think when trying to deny us our history. We'll see how history pans out.

Then, there are so-called “journalists” who make the grievous mistake of using joint venture and merger in the same article.

As I’m sure you know, it’s either one or the other.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Cat amongst the pigeons....

If WIN was to buy out St George Leagues Club, keep the colours, jersey, 6 games at Kogarah, but call the team the Southern Dragons, do they keep the 15 titles?
Your just highlighting the complexities the NRL did not think off or prepare for. Big fail.for nrl.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Other way...
It's all speculation, and little bit of fishing... I get that. But let's be fair dinkum.

Do you honestly think a new NRL franchise called the Southern Dragons owned by a Wollongong-based corporation would inherit a majority of the St George fan base?

Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if your hypothetical has already been discussed and perhaps shelved for future reference. I sincerely hope not, because what a betrayal it would be to those supporters who have been here the longest.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It's all speculation, and little bit of fishing... I get that. But let's be fair dinkum.

Do you honestly think a new NRL franchise called the Southern Dragons owned by a Wollongong-based corporation would inherit a majority of the St George fan base?

Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if your hypothetical has already been discussed and perhaps shelved for future reference. I sincerely hope not, because what a betrayal it would be to those supporters who have been here the longest.
May not inherit the entire legacy St George fan base but would take the majority of the current STGI supporter base..

Why do I believe this? A number of reasons, not limited to fan loyalty to the jersey & logo, which has strong pulling power.. Heritage, as you say..

In addition you have a supporter base that is accustomed to having games played down south.. 20 years of the JV means that there is now a generation of fans that have only known the Dragons as a part Wollongong team..

Add to that a further 18 seasons of Steelers and you have close to 40 years of 1st grade footy being played out of the gong.. Half a lifetime for the average punter..

I look at examples in that inferior code where they moved the South Melbourne Bloods to Sydney and the Fitzroy Lions to Brisbane.. Both clubs still have strong support down here, with new generations following family lines of support, even though the teams are based up north..

I even believe that the sharks will still have a strong following in Cronulla after they move them to Perth.. Even people from Bondi still follow the Roosters after they moved all the way from the Eastern Suburbs to Sydney City..

Ideally you don’t want it to happen as it would disenfranchise a number of people, but if such a situation arises, I believe a southern team would keep most of our current fan base..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
May not inherit the entire legacy St George fan base but would take the majority of the current STGI supporter base..

Why do I believe this? A number of reasons, not limited to fan loyalty to the jersey & logo, which has strong pulling power.. Heritage, as you say..

In addition you have a supporter base that is accustomed to having games played down south.. 20 years of the JV means that there is now a generation of fans that have only known the Dragons as a part Wollongong team..

Add to that a further 18 seasons of Steelers and you have close to 40 years of 1st grade footy being played out of the gong.. Half a lifetime for the average punter..

I look at examples in that inferior code where they moved the South Melbourne Bloods to Sydney and the Fitzroy Lions to Brisbane.. Both clubs still have strong support down here, with new generations following family lines of support, even though the teams are based up north..

I even believe that the sharks will still have a strong following in Cronulla after they move them to Perth.. Even people from Bondi still follow the Roosters after they moved all the way from the Eastern Suburbs to Sydney City..

Ideally you don’t want it to happen as it would disenfranchise a number of people, but if such a situation arises, I believe a southern team would keep most of our current fan base..

You’ve really outdone yourself here, Sunshine.

SBD82

Coach
Here’s a piece of history for the thread:

AF677F1D-9AAD-402B-8659-047958ACFEB3.jpeg

Obviously I know some of the bigger names. Would think that a couple of people in here would recognise many more than me.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I like to refer to it as a Double Red V.

It’s a nice reflection of the fact that Wollongong supporters are twice as passionate.
Interesting that this Wollongong team with those colours started in 1911..

10 full years of operation before St George (or is that St Veorge?) stole the colours and the design...

It’s time to bring it all home..

SaintPauli

Juniors
Please Do and post your reponse on this forum. Love to see it?

We may all use it. With your permission ofcourse Muzby.

Attentioned to CEO Brian Johnston?

Latest posts