What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you really serious??? Hayne was the sole reason we were shit in 2018? Actually Tits went worse after Hayne left.
Our record since Hayne won the first Dally M is horrendous, but actually pretty decent without him. Of course he wouldn't be the sole reason but I reckon he's an extremely negative influence, at least at our club where he feels like top dog.

ash411

Bench
Our record since Hayne won the first Dally M is horrendous, but actually pretty decent without him. Of course he wouldn't be the sole reason but I reckon he's an extremely negative influence, at least at our club where he feels like top dog.
He seems like a catalyst that makes things much worse, while not being specifically bad himself.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That has been our problem for years, our lack of mental fortitude, to be able to grind out a match. In the early 80's we had it in spades. Was it the coaching or the players? Maybe both. All I know is that once Ray Price retired our ability to grind diminished.

So if its the players, and I believe they have the most influence, who'll be the player in our team next year able to keep the team focused when the going get tough? Mr nice guy, Gutho, or a hard nut like Nrown? Or someone else? Because up to now we've lacked that leader so can one be manufactured? Thoughts?
I think we have the right personalities for it, they are just very inexperienced compared to the leaders at the top teams.

Avenger

Immortal
I’ve heard this same assessment from people within and outside the club.

Pou for once is on the money.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That has been our problem for years, our lack of mental fortitude, to be able to grind out a match. In the early 80's we had it in spades. Was it the coaching or the players? Maybe both. All I know is that once Ray Price retired our ability to grind diminished.

So if its the players, and I believe they have the most influence, who'll be the player in our team next year able to keep the team focused when the going get tough? Mr nice guy, Gutho, or a hard nut like Nrown? Or someone else? Because up to now we've lacked that leader so can one be manufactured? Thoughts?

Is there some reason why a bloke can't be a nice guy, and a good leader?

Cooper Cronk is a good guy, and a brilliant leader.

Why is being a nice guy seen as a bad thing?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Because morons equate shouting with leadership. See the Cayless hate comments a few days ago.

Agreed.

Nathan Cayless was an outstanding leader - certainly good enough to lead New Zealand to a World Cup title.

I think people see the likes of Allan Border, and have a picture of a grumpy, "I don't take losing well" prick as being a good leader - but leadership encompasses many different areas.

Bazal

Post Whore
Agreed.

Nathan Cayless was an outstanding leader - certainly good enough to lead New Zealand to a World Cup title.

I think people see the likes of Allan Border, and have a picture of a grumpy, "I don't take losing well" prick as being a good leader - but leadership encompasses many different areas.

Speaking of shouting, I always get shouted at for saying it but AB was actually quite a poor leader a lot of the time IMO. See Dean Jones almost dying in India while AB withered him even more with comments about being soft.

He was just exactly the kind of personality Australian cricket needed at the time. He dragged people with him and he was pretty good at getting the most of a player, but he was also ruthless even in terms of his own teammates and that's not leadership.

Latest posts