What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don’t NRL clubs buy Union players anymore?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Unless they are kiwis or saffas you are getting 3rd rated athletes.

Kiwis prefer union, Saffas could not spell league, rich uncles and all that.

Everywhere else kids play something else first.

This is why, they are shyte.

magpie_man

Juniors
Unless they are kiwis or saffas you are getting 3rd rated athletes.

Kiwis prefer union, Saffas could not spell league, rich uncles and all that.

Everywhere else kids play something else first.

This is why, they are shyte.

This. Wallabies just aren't worth the risk. All Blacks or Springboks you'd be paying through the nose for and are somewhat of a risk as well (albeit much less so).
The current modus operandi of pillaging their junior stocks seems to be doing the trick, long may it continue and extend throughout the South Pacific.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Players like Ricky Stuart, Michael O’Connor and Scott Gourlay were all ex wallabies. There are heaps more that I need to look up who were successful. Players like James O’Connor, Beale, Cooper and Foley would do very well in the NRL. Some of those players were on the verge of coming but no clubs were interested. Yet take 2 to 3 players each year from the NRL. Also don’t say we take there juniors. We do take some but it’s a risk. Players like Tepai Morea were absolute superstars in the juniors but just didn’t crack it in the NRL. Also like Morea and Barnes. They play a bit of NRL then go back to Union. Berrick Barnes was a huge loss. C’mon NRL clubs let’s start taking atleast player for player.

Beale and Cooper I believe did get offers from clubs but were asking for quite a lot. Was too risky for some clubs, who knows if they wouldve done well in the NRL?

Go back 30 years ago Union was amateur, players were getting paid bugger compared to League.

I'm sure Beale and Cooper wouldve taken that opportunity back then.

It was quite common for clubs poaching Union players then. Not just Wallabies players but All Blacks players Halligan and Ridge. I'm pretty sure Grant Fox and Zinzan Brook almost went to Manly. Then eventually guys like John Timu and John Kirwin played in the NRL or ARL back in 95.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I remember tiaan strauss played for us in the 90s. He was pretty good.

Larkham and burke might have gone pretty good.

But honestly nowadays the defence in league is so much better,

Angry_eel

First Grade
We get Union players at a young age. Sometimes they turn out to be Clint Gutherson while other times they become Tepai Moreoa. Union would be dead in Australia if it wasn't for private schools.

yakstorm

First Grade
You're all forgetting the great Andrew Leeds as the last great convert ;)

Seriously. as outlined a bit above, any semi-decent Rugby Union playing kid who people think could also make it in League, is usually signed up to League as early as possible. Those who don't then are spread between those who chase overseas opportunities and then those who stay in the Australian system.

There isn't that much left to 'pillage' from the Wallabies ranks, and of those people highlight, they generally have been through the league system before.

firechild

First Grade
We get Union players at a young age. Sometimes they turn out to be Clint Gutherson while other times they become Tepai Moreoa. Union would be dead in Australia if it wasn't for private schools.
Gutho always played league. He was a Cromer Kingfishers junior.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I feel for the Warriors, some of those All Black backs would be good enough, instead they get Kata.

I wish I knew thier names, there was a Mona guy? played in 12, he would have been a great league centre.

Also pretty sure McCaw would have made it, huge motor, they do have some players, where it is taken seriously.

I can sit through a Union game, but would rather dig my eyes out with a spoon than watch the disgusting abomination that is VFL.

I find it hard to insult Saffa and Kiwis, all they have to say is you have VFL.

There is no comeback, it is shameful.

Last edited:

Latest posts