What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The effect of travel on the Warriors.

Rich102

Staff member
ANALYSIS: The Warriors don't like to talk about the effects of travel. They don't want it to be any kind of excuse.

As a New Zealand team playing in an Australian competition, that's just the way it is.

The side are happy to get on the plane every other week and go to work.

But despite the club wanting to down play the travel factor, it is just that, a factor.

In 2020 the Warriors will as expected cover more ground than any other NRL side (61,820km), and travel further than they did even last year (55,771km).

At the other end of the scale the Dragons will only have to travel a total of 7,052km, in 2020.

Travelling internationally every other week takes it's toll on the body both mentally and physically, affecting performance for elite athletes.

University of Auckland associate professor of anaesthesiology and health sciences Dr Guy Warman said it can take up to three days "or longer" to physically adjust and be at peak performance level after a three-hour flight.

For the Warriors, that struggle is an accepted reality.

But for other sides facing similar adversity like the Toronto Wolfpack or soon-to-be New York Rugby League, there's another approach.

New York Rugby League, should they gain passage into the UK third tier competition in 2023, will play in two-week blocks.

This model, according to bid chief Ricky Wilby, will properly serve his side from a player welfare perspective while ensuring the athletes are not forced to be away from home for too long.

It's a model Warman believes should be of serious consideration for a side like the Warriors.

"Though it's not a big time difference between here and Australia, crossing time zones so frequently does impact on health - and especially so for elite athletes," he said.

"There's emerging evidence that suggests constant travel is linked to cardiovascular disease and even cancer.

"Pre-adjusting is the best short-term solution. During the season syncing your body clock to Australian time would mean less transitions, and would aid athletic performance."

In the longer term, however, he believes the club should push for bigger home/away blocks.

It might seem like a long shot, but through the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) a schedule change to even up the playing field when it comes to travel is not impossible.

The collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is up for renewal in 2022, the same time as the current broadcasting deal.

The RLPA's Adrian Turner told Stuff all clubs can submit their thoughts and hopes on scheduling to best serve them from a player welfare and commercial perspective.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/authors/jackson-thomas
The NRL ultimately decides the draw each season, which is heavily driven by the broadcaster.

However, Turner said were the Warriors to submit calls for change citing player welfare, the RLPA would go into bat for them.

"On anything like this broad consultation would have to be had (with the NRL), but absolutely we would push for it," he said.

sport/league/warriors/118051414/nrl-twoweek-travel-blocks-would-benefit-warriors-expert-says

Big Marn

Juniors
Maybe the NRL should consider a different approach for the schedule similar to what the NBA does.
They have road trips and then home stands. Some road trips can involve 4-6 games going from city to city in certain areas of the States, eg East, South East, South West etc. Then they come home, have a breather than maybe have 3-6 games at home. But they play 82 games on the season so its still brutal. I dont follow baseball closely at all so not sure how they approach travel.

Maybe the Warriors could have 3 games on the road ie 3 Sydney, or 3 Queensland teams, followed by 3 games at home. Rinse and repeat. It might just bring some equilibrium to the body that way.

But... the NRL doing the Warriors a favour? Fat chance.

Then again, the NZ Breakers didnt have any issue with travel when they were winning 4 championships in 6 years. They just had a good team and good coaching. That helps abit....

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Another excuse offering the lads an easy out

As mentioned above, I watched the Breakers clinch a championship in Perth at 2-3am NZ time with a game that went right down to the death. 7 footers in a sardine can for hours on end heading to Perth and they still got it done

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Another excuse offering the lads an easy out

As mentioned above, I watched the Breakers clinch a championship in Perth at 2-3am NZ time with a game that went right down to the death. 7 footers in a sardine can for hours on end heading to Perth and they still got it done
Literally the first line of the article is:

"The Warriors don't like to talk about the effects of travel. They don't want it to be any kind of excuse."

It is an actual fact that is being reported on, not an excuse that is being given by the club or anyone associated with the Warriors. The club gets a bad enough rap as it is.

jaseg

Juniors
Maybe the NRL should consider a different approach for the schedule similar to what the NBA does.
They have road trips and then home stands. Some road trips can involve 4-6 games going from city to city in certain areas of the States, eg East, South East, South West etc. Then they come home, have a breather than maybe have 3-6 games at home. But they play 82 games on the season so its still brutal. I dont follow baseball closely at all so not sure how they approach travel.

Maybe the Warriors could have 3 games on the road ie 3 Sydney, or 3 Queensland teams, followed by 3 games at home. Rinse and repeat. It might just bring some equilibrium to the body that way.

But... the NRL doing the Warriors a favour? Fat chance.

Then again, the NZ Breakers didnt have any issue with travel when they were winning 4 championships in 6 years. They just had a good team and good coaching. That helps abit....

The basketball comparison isn't really apples to apples though... don't they play 3-4 games a week?

Big Marn

Juniors
The basketball comparison isn't really apples to apples though... don't they play 3-4 games a week?
not its not apples to apples. but the idea of being away for an extended period of time then being home for an extended period of time is.
i think the longest NBA road trip is 10 days and then they have shorter ones varying from 4-6 days.
Then teams get home stands of varying lengths. I think the longest is 6 home games in a row.

so for warriors, 3 away games might make sense if they are all in sydney and it saves 2 extra round trips across the tasman. it will never happen though. cost of accommodation etc. and NRL wont change their schedule for us.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Fair point, hey no question you blokes and Cowboys, leave home and have to catch a plane.

Our blokes can drive 30 mins from home.

Rich102

Staff member
I am surprised they still have to report early for flights.
Just relaxing that would save a lot of time.
It's not like they are drug traffickers. :oops:

Meth

Staff member
I travel a lot. It sucks. A lot. Would suck even more to have to play elite level sport after travelling.

I think I’d rather come home than be in Australia 2 weeks at a time though. 3-5 hours that would otherwise be spent moving around a hotel and you’re home with your family and in your own bed.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It it not an unusally thing though, many professional sportsmen, live this life. If anything Sydney players have it easy, other sports do have a divisional thing which helps.

Meth

Staff member
It it not an unusally thing though, many professional sportsmen, live this life. If anything Sydney players have it easy, other sports do have a divisional thing which helps.

hmmm it’d be worth seeing a comparison.

Don’t shoot me- but I think the worst would be professional wrestling

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
More than a billion spent on players in the NFL, with like 6 games to go have no chance.

They fly to most games to lose, but not all.

Big Marn

Juniors
More than a billion spent on players in the NFL, with like 6 games to go have no chance.

They fly to most games to lose, but not all.
The NY GIants are in the top 3 for market value in the NFL. When losing is still winning....

JJ

Immortal
meh... we've made grand finals, had good away records, and good home ones...

It's a factor, of course - but the main issue is we need to be good...

Latest posts