What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T-Boon

Coach
No. It just means you're a dumbarse bogan who likes to whinge about things, and finds a common point with their brethren. People whinge relentlessly about referees / umpires in every major ball sport on the planet.

Haha, true. Okay, maybe it means more than one thing.

Actually I think maybe my point stands with world sports generally. Professionalism in particular full time coaches have screwed sports across the board. Eg soccer is boring because they defend so much more effectively now. I feel like it has been worse for RL than other sports.

The best thing NRL could do is get rid of coaches. Just have captain coaches.

Noise

Coach

Actually I think maybe my point stands with world sports generally. Professionalism in particular full time coaches have screwed sports across the board. Eg soccer is boring because they defend so much more effectively now. I feel like it has been worse for RL than other sports.

Have the amount of tries being scored gone down? I actually think we see more line breaks and tries than in the 80s. The scores certainly seem to indicate that is the case.

T-Boon

Coach
Have the amount of tries being scored gone down? I actually think we see more line breaks and tries than in the 80s. The scores certainly seem to indicate that is the case.

The number of tries scored per game has been going down since 07 (last time I looked). I think they were going up between the 80s and 07.
I strongly believe line breaks have gone down a lot in that same time frame. I would say since the 80s line breaks are way down.

Actually, while I remember, what happened to your plan to turn the Eels into a team full of Indians?

T-Boon

Coach
Because the risk of not getting to their kick is still there. Adding a carrot doesn't remove the stick that makes them want to complete their sets.

Exactly. There are several little rules that inexplicably never get exploited (eg finding touch from a 20 metre tap), where the only explanation is why risk not getting to your kick from half way. It is truly f**ked.

T.S Quint

Coach
I'm pretty ok with the way Rugby League is now.
I've watched plenty of games from the 80's. While there was some enterprising play during that period, I don't think it was as prevalent as some think it was. Line breaks and tries came because there were more one-on-one tackles and shittier defenders.

I don't care if teams do 5 hit ups and then a kick. That's the way the game is played, and has been for years (even in the 80's). Each hit up is different and each kick is different. A prop's hit up is different to a winger's hit up.

Good defence should never be discouraged. How great is it when your team survives 5 sets in a row on their line, turning the other team away again and again. It's just as exciting as watching a try being scored. Gets the crowd pumped up and cheering. Anyone here who would like to argue this point?

Noise

Coach
I've watched plenty of games from the 80's. While there was some enterprising play during that period, I don't think it was as prevalent as some think it was. Line breaks and tries came because there were more one-on-one tackles and shittier defenders.

I don't care if teams do 5 hit ups and then a kick. That's the way the game is played, and has been for years (even in the 80's). Each hit up is different and each kick is different. A prop's hit up is different to a winger's hit up.

Good defence should never be discouraged. How great is it when your team survives 5 sets in a row on their line, turning the other team away again and again. It's just as exciting as watching a try being scored. Gets the crowd pumped up and cheering. Anyone here who would like to argue this point?
This ^^

T-Boon

Coach

Nope not going to argue that. Defense is half the game and it should be exciting and thrilling.

Unfortunately in my opinion with the wrestling and the gang tackling (especially that 3rd player into the tackle for pure wrestling purposes) tackling is an eye sore and a bit of a hidden shame for the game.

T-Boon

Coach

Its hard to prove my point that the game was a lot more enterprising in the 80s, because there aren't that many games.
One way you can get an idea of it is by looking at an Origin game from the 80s and compare it with an Origin game from this era. Its like chalk and cheese.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the game was best in the late 90s, before Brian Smith killed it with the up-and-dump exploitation of the ruck rules in 2001. Since then it seems the defensive focus on every tackle has been to prevent a quick play-the-ball. Of course, defences are just reacting to attacking tactics, where a quick play-the-ball is the focus over any more expansive play.

T.S Quint

Coach
Its hard to prove my point that the game was a lot more enterprising in the 80s, because there aren't that many games.
One way you can get an idea of it is by looking at an Origin game from the 80s and compare it with an Origin game from this era. Its like chalk and cheese.

I rather enjoyed the Origin games from last year.

T.S Quint

Coach
I think the game was best in the late 90s, before Brian Smith killed it with the up-and-dump exploitation of the ruck rules in 2001. Since then it seems the defensive focus on every tackle has been to prevent a quick play-the-ball. Of course, defences are just reacting to attacking tactics, where a quick play-the-ball is the focus over any more expansive play.

Quick play-the-balls lead to plenty of expansive play. It's become quite a skill to be able to get regular quick play-the-balls...unless you're playing Parra in which case it doesn't require any skill at all.

The game has evolved into more of a forwards game, so much so that even the wingers, centres and quite a few fullbacks are the size of forwards now. That doesn't mean the smaller halves don't have their place, but just because the emphasis has changed it doesn't make it worse, just different.

Obviously it's all subjective as to who likes what, but that's just how I see it.

Latest posts