What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

wazdog

Juniors
I think you will find that South Sydney will start to play some if not all of their games out of the new Eastern Stadium. They would be financially insane not to. As for the Dogs, if they aren't getting the financial gift inducement that they are currently guaranteed for playing there, watch how they too will start looking to find a better home.

I think the Rabbitohs are locked in long term with ANZ Stadium so I don't think it will be happening anytime soon (as much as I'd like it to happen).

It also won't happen under current management of the SCG Trust.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Benny Elias wrote about moving the club to these places in his book. around about the time of his retirement.

Then his property development plans 20 years later gave it a good reason why it should have. In fact, they should have moved to Iceland to escape Balmain Benny.

Just like that poor girl all those years ago

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I think you will find that South Sydney will start to play some if not all of their games out of the new Eastern Stadium. They would be financially insane not to. As for the Dogs, if they aren't getting the financial gift inducement that they are currently guaranteed for playing there, watch how they too will start looking to find a better home.

Homebush pay the bunnies a large amount to play there. They were losing money at the SFS

adamkungl

Immortal
But none of that is known when the funding commitment and stadium strategy is underway. So in effect the NSW govt has built WSS for two clubs plus a few other club games and ANZ for two clubs plus a few other big games. Its no wonder they were trying to get clubs to commit to sharing stadiums before they committed to the strategy.

Ideally we'd have Eels, Bulldogs FT and Wests 8 games at WSS and Souths at Allianz with ANZ not used at all except for magic weekends and finals. I bet we still see Souths and Dogs rattling around in it and Wests will go with their 3 games wherever the best deal is. So in effect the NSW govt has spent over a billion $'s creating two club grounds a few miles apart in all likelihood.

ANZ will definitely be used. There's no reason for Dogs to abandon it - they've been there with healthy crowds (when on-field performances warrant it) for 20 odd years.
I have little doubt they would rather have their own ground with slightly worse atmosphere than share with both Parra and Wests.
And the renovated lower bowl will be a massive improvement on the experience at ANZ, especially when paired with expanding transport links and a finally growing bar and social scene around the precinct.

Wests could go either way, and ultimately it wont matter too much - I think WSS suits them better but their fans seem to prefer ANZ. I think this is purely due to their bad start at WSS, let's see what 2020 brings, hopefully some good results and crowds. Either way they fall on this, it should be their majority home ground with Ctown and LO dropping back to occasional event status.

I think Souths would take another step up by going back to their home region. When they left the SFS, they were fairly worthless and no doubt got a dud deal from the Trust. Now they're in a position to force the Trust into an arrangement that is healthy for both sides.

The 3 stadiums will have between them, 8 major tenants, in some division or another.
WSS - Eels, Wanderers
ANZ - Dogs, Tigers
SFS - Roosters, Souths, Waratahs, SFC

I'd expect Dragons, Sharks, and Manly to look at taking a handful of games to the new-SFS as well.
Suburban clubs, if they want to thrive, will need 1-2 big games a year where they can break through the 20k barrier.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think the Rabbitohs are locked in long term with ANZ Stadium so I don't think it will be happening anytime soon (as much as I'd like it to happen).

It also won't happen under current management of the SCG Trust.

Homebush pay the bunnies a large amount to play there. They were losing money at the SFS

15 years and 2 new stadiums could change things. The circumstances are wildly different to what they were in 2005.

siv

First Grade
15 years and 2 new stadiums could change things. The circumstances are wildly different to what they were in 2005.

Except parking and traffic is still poor at the SFS / SCG

No matter what they do they still need a ANZ style P1 multi-story carpark

Best place maybe just within the Showground just to the east of the SFS with entrances/exits on Moore Park Rd with a priority lane to ANZAC Pd

adamkungl

Immortal

Best place maybe just within the Showground just to the east of the SFS with entrances/exits on Moore Park Rd with a priority lane to ANZAC Pd

There already is a multi-story parking at fox studios next door.
The better option, if you don't have a family to fuss about, is obviously parking at a station and catching the train.

siv

First Grade
The better option, if you don't have a family to fuss about, is obviously parking at a station and catching the train.

They need a second one on match days on the northern end of the precident

If Fox studios grows as planned the small southern car park will need to be expanded

Frailty

First Grade

As long as there is reasonable public transport access I think the Entertainment Quarter carparking is suffice. With the new light rail available from central, the access is much better.

adamkungl

Immortal
As long as there is reasonable public transport access I think the Entertainment Quarter carparking is suffice. With the new light rail available from central, the access is much better.

Yep. The long walk excuse no longer applies. Every station in Sydney points at central and town hall and thus the light rail.

Perth Red

Post Whore

there is zero parking at Optus stadium, it’s not needed because the govt actually planned it to not need it!

Perth Red

Post Whore
People here like to drive then complain about driving.

nobody loves their cars like perth people! But govt decided from day one it would not give people the option. They then choose the site and built the public transport infrastructure so it wasn’t needed. One of the few very very smart things I’ve seen a state govt do!

siv

First Grade
One issue when your a regional supporter is a drive would take 1 hour verses a train trip takes 2.5 hours after a night game that kicks off at 8:05

And if you miss that train as the next one is 1 hour later

Public trabsport isnt designed for late night sports travelers that commute long distances

Plus there are only 2000 spaces compared to 10,000 at Homebush

adamkungl

Immortal
with all due respect I don't think CBD stadiums are built to cater for the tiny handful of fans coming from outside the sydney metro
Imo the place would be better off with less parking rather than more, to get people out of the habit of trying to drive in then having the negative experience of parking and getting traffic jammed on the way out.
Public transport might be marginally slower but you don't have the frustration of getting stuck in the carpark exit for 40 mins..

Last edited:

mave

Coach
Manly should 100% take a couple of games each year to the new SFS, if only for the corporate $$.

I would expect the NRL to come up with some sort of minimal Stadia criteria (that Brookvale will certainly not meet ) to force our hand anyway.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
with all due respect I don't think CBD stadiums are built to cater for the tiny handful of fans coming from outside the sydney metro
Imo the place would be better off with less parking rather than more, to get people out of the habit of trying to drive in then having the negative experience of parking and getting traffic jammed on the way out.
Public transport might be marginally slower but you don't have the frustration of getting stuck in the carpark exit for 40 mins..

Looking at the supporters going to Souths games many are coming in from the west

Looking at the supporters going to Souths games many are coming in from the west of Homebush. I’d like to see the actual figures.

a trip via public transport to the SFS from the west would be close to 2 hours

I really can’t see us moving from Homebush

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at the supporters going to Souths games many are coming in from the west

Looking at the supporters going to Souths games many are coming in from the west of Homebush. I’d like to see the actual figures.

a trip via public transport to the SFS from the west would be close to 2 hours

I really can’t see us moving from Homebush

isNt that likely to be because Homebush is out that way? maybe not many fans are travelling from other parts closer to allianz that would do if they played there? Souths would be one of those clubs with fans all over the city so will draw from many areas.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
OK lets try this so you slow people might grasp that horses for courses is that is needed here.

Just because you have buses servicing an area doesn't mean you shouldn't or don't build train systems to service the same area.

The need is for both. They serve different needs or even similar or overlapping needs. So both are the preferred model and are necessary to service all or as much as possible the needs of the public.

Same with stadiums. As much as possible, depending on the event, will dictate as to what facility will be used.

Yes Gov are terrible planners, but in this instance they got it 100% right.
NSW is poorly planned. Has been from day one.

We can disagree.

Such a beautiful harbour...

Frailty

First Grade
One issue when your a regional supporter is a drive would take 1 hour verses a train trip takes 2.5 hours after a night game that kicks off at 8:05

And if you miss that train as the next one is 1 hour later

Public trabsport isnt designed for late night sports travelers that commute long distances

Plus there are only 2000 spaces compared to 10,000 at Homebush

Marvel Stadium in Melbourne has a carpark with 2,500 spaces.
MCG doesn't have a carpark though it opens up Yarra Park to park on the grass.

The train issues are the same, worse if people need to catch a V-Line regional train. The traffic in the inner-city Melbourne is worse than Sydney IMO.