What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

YoHadrian

Juniors
Not sure if this has been discussed...?

If Souths are to shop around Dane Gagai & Alex Johnston due to them now signing Latrell Mitchell, are we in the running for at least one? Do we have room in the cap to accommodate?

Is it possible to shop Aitken and/or Lafai around to squeeze more cap space if needed? Thinking the Titans may have some spare room and be in the market for players if they are releasing Jai Arrow early? Likewise Melbourne if Addo-Carr does the rumored move back to Sydney (Roosters are a possible destination now that they are cashed up).

This might be too complex for Mary & Millward though...?

Mary has difficulty knowing that games are 80 minutes. These concepts you're outlining would make his head explode.

Old Timer

Coach
will be interesting to watch Blacker and Kerrs development this year
Why will it be any different to their development (lol) last year?
Graham is going to be selected week in week out.
If JDB does play that means Merrin into prop rotation.
Vaughan, Graham, Merrin, Lawrie, K Sims all ahead of them I suspect,
If we retain Kaufusi he will also be in front of them.
Only injuries or rep duties will see them get any game time.

Old Timer

Coach
The year of the Sims boys!

the pack will dominate this year, the halves will fire and the back 5 will surprise everyone!
I think you are over rating the Sims boys.
The halves are unproven as a unit and both have frailties.
The back 5 will not surprise unless we sign a high quality centre or winger and the coaching reins are handed over.
Lomax to FB is the only change on the table and even that isn't certain.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons won eleven straight Premierships because the Board had high ideals. They had Frank Facer who created depth in the roster. Coaches like Kearney, Provan, Walsh and Langlands had success rates of over 58%. Last year Mc Gregor fell under a 30% winning ratio and should have been removed. This year he again makes lame excuses and the problem being him is still there.

getsmarty

Immortal
gallery6.jpg

DRAGONS

Training Gallery: Rainy Friday
Fri 17 Jan 2020, 01:38 PM
The heavy rain didn't stop the Dragons from getting put through their paces in a long, physical and tough field session on Friday. Take a look at all the action from behind the camera lens.

gallery5.jpg

gallery11.jpg

gallery13.jpg

gallery15.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/17/training-gallery-rainy-friday/

Old Timer

Coach
The harsh reality in analysing our squad for 2020 is the road blocks we continue to have.
Lafai & Aitken are both useless and if not playing 1st grade will just take up room in CC and block any chance that up and comers have of shining as the sad truth is the journeymen we buy will get 1st crack if Aitken & Lafai are eventually dropped.
James Graham will be a starting prop and IMO will again be dominated by much bigger forwards but somehow we think that his "passion" will carry the side and sadly that is just sentimentality. Kerr & Blacker will be languishing for serious game time because Graham will play every game of the year.
Pereira & Ravalawa will occupy 1 wing spot between them (if not both to start the year) and both are sub standard compared to what top class sides have. No chance for fliers to get a crack at the top grade as we don't have the game plan to see them flourish
The JDB fiasco will see us pick either Merrin or Lawrie out of position to fill the 13 jumper or just maybe the insanity move of Mc Innes to 13 might eventuate. JDB is a total distraction and road block to finalising our squad.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

McInnes, McGregor on captaincy appointment

DRAGONS

McInnes officially named Dragons captain
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 20 Jan 2020, 08:00 AM

St George Illawarra have today officially announced Cameron McInnes as the Dragons' new captain ahead of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

McInnes replaces Gareth Widdop as the club's skipper following the English international's departure to the Warrington Wolves.

McInnes joined the Dragons from the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2017 and has only missed one game since arriving at the Red V. McInnes has also won every performance-based award available in his three seasons at the club.

At 25 years old, McInnes becomes the second-youngest captain in the joint-venture's history.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons. It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain," McInnes, who has played 112 NRL games to date, said.

"This club has a great fan base and following so to be their captain is a huge responsibility. I'm focused and plan on upholding the club's legacy and doing everyone proud.

"It's a challenge I'm looking forward to. There's plenty of great people at this club who will help me along the way, which is great as I have plenty of learning and growth as a player to come."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the decision to appoint McInnes as Dragons captain was a huge positive for the club leading into the new season.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards. His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached," McGregor said.

"Cameron plays with passion, he's gritty and he's a trustworthy liaison between the staff and players. He's been our most consistent player over the past three years which was really important when it came to deciding the leader of the club."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/20/mcinnes-officially-named-dragons-captain/

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron McInnes to lead St George Illawarra Dragons in 2020
Dragons Den
r0_204_4000_2462_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leader: Cameron McInnes has been named Dragons captain for the 2020 season. Picture: Anna Warr
He was the inspirational leader throughout a challenging 2019 and now Cameron McInnes has been named the official on-field leader of the St George Illawarra Dragons.

With Gareth Widdop departing for Warrington in the English Super League, McInnes will captain the Dragons in 2020.

At just 25-years-of-age, the hooker is the second youngest player to captain the joint venture and he said it's a privilege to be selected to lead the team.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons," McInnes said. "It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain.

"This club has a great fan base and following so to be their captain is a huge responsibility. I'm focused and plan on upholding the club's legacy and doing everyone proud.

"It's a challenge I'm looking forward to. There's plenty of great people at this club who will help me along the way, which is great as I have plenty of learning and growth as a player to come."

McInnes arrived at the Dragons in 2017, having played the first three years of his career with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

He has missed just one match for the club in that time, last year's round 25 clash with the Gold Coast Titans after he suffered a broken leg the previous week.

A member of the leadership group and stand-in captain during the past two seasons, McInnes is highly regarded by his teammates.

The hooker was a rare bright spot throughout a disastrous 2019 and he regularly drew praise from those within the club for his effort and high standards.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor said the 112-game star is the right man to lead the team back to the NRL finals.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards," McGregor said. "His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached.

"Cameron plays with passion, he's gritty and he's a trustworthy liaison between the staff and players. He's been our most consistent player over the past three years which was really important when it came to deciding the leader of the club."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...lawarra-dragons-announce-new-captain/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons’ best 17: Make or break for backline stars as pressure mounts
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

7b6369a5fecfc9cc1704ea10f1df3efa

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the pump heading into 2020. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
St George Illawarra is under a great deal of pressure heading into 2020 following last year’s dismal display.

Despite their 15th place finish and a number of stars underperforming, the bulk of the squad remains in tact which can viewed either positively or negatively, depending on which way you look at it.

The club’s biggest loss is former captain Gareth Widdop, who is now back in England, but they got a taste at what life will be like without him while he was sidelined with a serious shoulder injury last year.

Other outs include Luciano Leilua, who has joined Wests Tigers, and the now-retired Jeremy Latimore, while Jack de Belin remains stood down pending the result of his sexual assault court case.

New recruits Trent Merrin and Issac Luke appear destined for spots in the first-choice 17, despite many pundits believing they’re past their best.

But while the forward pack picks itself with a number of representative stars, the club’s backline raises the most questions.

A number of players were rotated throughout the back five in 2019, with coach Paul McGregor unable to settle on his most potent combinations, although he has locked in Zac Lomax at fullback for Round 1.

For centres Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, this year looms as a particularly defining one with the pair off-contract and coming off indifferent seasons.

The wing is also an area of concern, but 199cm flyer Jason Saab emerged as a star of the future last season and stands to benefit this year from the tackling-in-mid-air rule change.

THE STRENGTH

The pack

While they failed to fire for periods of 2019, the Red V’s forwards still pack plenty of punch and McGregor will be hoping they pay the platform for his backs this season.

Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and Tyson Frizell are all NSW Origin representatives, while James Graham and Korbin Sims have plenty of international experience.

Hooker Cameron McInnes is also coming off his best ever season.

A number of the club’s young prospects like Blake Lawrie earned valuable NRL time last season which will give them plenty of confidence heading into this season.

PRESSURE IS ON

The whole team

The Dragons are coming off their worst ever season as a joint venture having finished 15th in 2019.

Last year they had the second-worst defence in the competition, so if they’re any chance of moving up the ladder, they must improve that aspect of their game.

Their attack also needs plenty of work and the heat will be on Norman and Hunt to step up with Widdop now gone.

10283d6dcb8d5b4c58933093e0f2eaa4

Corey Norman needs to perform in 2020. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)Source: AAP
THE RISING STAR

Eddie Blacker

Standing at 195cm and weighing 116kg, Blacker is a young prop on the rise.

The 20-year-old joined the Dragons in 2019 on a development deal, but is a member of the top 30 squad this season.

Blacker’s had the chance to pick the brains of the club’s experienced forwards over the past 12 months which will put him in good stead if an NRL berth comes knocking in 2020.

With Lomax to get the No.1 jumper, Matt Dufty and Tristan Sailor appear destined for a stint in reserve grade to start the season, although the latter could find himself in the running for a wing spot.

Another contender for the wing is Mikaele Ravalawa who has appeared to drop down the pecking order.

Brayden Wiliame, who has joined the club after impressing for Catalans in Super League, will put pressure on the likes of Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai who struggled to find form in 2019.

Others who will be pushing for likely bench spots include Josh Kerr and Jacob Host who gained valuable NRL experience last season.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR …

Zac Lomax

After signing a lucrative long-term extension with the club, Lomax will take over the Dragons’ No.1 jersey in 2020.

While there have been huge raps on the 20-year-old in the junior grades, the start to his NRL career has been a mixed bag of performances which could be put down to a constant changing of positions.

But with McGregor declaring Lomax will get first crack at fullback, a position he played growing up, the stability around his on-field future will only benefit him.

c068ef6ee7ba595d978f348d29c376d8

Zac Lomax (R) will get first crack at fullback. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
DRAGONS’ BEST 17

1. Zac Lomax

2. Jordan Pereira

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Jason Saab

6. Corey Norman

7. Ben Hunt

8. James Graham

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Paul Vaughan

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Tariq Sims

13. Trent Merrin

14. Issac Luke

15. Korbin Sims

16. Blake Lawrie

17. Jackson Ford

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/bff257d2c603da09e56ba981be6d18ae

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-1gp_2524.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes to lead Red V in 2020
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 20 Jan 2020, 08:42 AM

New Dragons captain Cameron McInnes is ready to accept the "huge responsibility" that comes with the job.

The Dragons announced on Monday that McInnes would take the job created by Gareth Widdop's return to England.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons. It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain," McInnes said.

remote.axd

McInnes named new Dragons captain

The 25-year-old hooker, known for a tireless work ethic, has played 112 NRL matches after making his debut with South Sydney in 2014.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said McInnes' on-field consistency played a role in the club's decision.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards. His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached," McGregor said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/20/mcinnes-to-captain-dragons-in-2020/

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron McInnes announced as St George Illawarra Dragons captain

$
:copyright: Getty Images
St George Illawarra has announced star hooker Cameron McInnes as club captain for 2020.

The 25-year-old replaces playmaker Gareth Widdop who returned to his native England to play with Warrington.

McInnes' consistent performances in the middle of the park for the Dragons have earned him plenty of respect from teammates and opponents.

The dummy half is remarkably durable, having missed only one game in his three seasons at the club despite being a regular at the top of the tackling charts.

Speaking following the announcement, McInnes said he was proud to lead the club.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons. It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain," McInnes said.

Captain Cam has a nice ring to it, wouldn't you say?

— St George Illawarra Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) January 19, 2020
McInnes has played 112 NRL games, 73 at the Dragons since moving from South Sydney at the end of the 2016 season.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor spoke highly of his new skipper.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards," McGregor said.

"His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached.

"Cameron plays with passion, he's gritty and he's a trustworthy liaison between the staff and players.

"He's been our most consistent player over the past three years which was really important when it came to deciding the leader of the club."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...t-george-illawarra-dragons-captain/ar-BBZ7oE8

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-1gp_2524.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes wants to see action, not hear excuses
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 20 Jan 2020, 05:20 PM

New Dragons captain Cameron McInnes admits it sounds harsh but he won't accept any issues away from football as excuses for poor form this year.

The passionate hooker was officially announced on Monday as the successor to Gareth Widdop, who has joined Super League club Warrington.

The 25-year-old rake will aim to lead the club out of turmoil after they came 15th in 2019, with the legal dramas of sidelined forward Jack de Belin proving a distraction.

De Belin's sexual assault trial begins on February 3, just over a month before the season starts.

McInnes declared his team must get on with business in 2020 regardless of the external or personal challenges they may face.

"That's the message I try to get across to everybody: it doesn’t matter what's going on out there, because no one cares," McInnes said.

remote.axd

"If we lose a game and someone wants to say, 'Oh, my grandma's sick' – I know that's a harsh thing to say but no one cares because we lost the game.

"It's the harsh reality of what we do. You've got to leave your problems at the door. It's not easy to do but life happens, doesn't it?

"Throughout the course of 26 weeks, you're naïve to think that everything's going to be going your way outside footy for the whole year.

"The sooner you realise that you've got to perform under less than ideal circumstances, the better you're going to be. If guys didn't learn that last year, they've got to learn quick."

McInnes will become the second-youngest full-time St George Illawarra skipper after Trent Barrett, but he realises there's plenty of help available in senior representative players like James Graham, Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt.

Meanwhile, coach Paul McGregor has given McInnes leadership books to study over the summer to prepare for the job.

In terms of playing style, not much will change for McInnes - the simple directive from the coaching staff has been to "go 100% like I do every game".

"The best captains are the ones that show it on the field week in, week out. And that's what I've got to do," McInnes said.

It's not his first experience in charge of a side: he filled in admirably when Widdop was injured last year and captained South Sydney in the under 20s.

"This is a much higher level, but to be honest with you, these guys here are like under 20s players anyway. Footy players don't grow up," McInnes quipped.

And while he can't guarantee fans success, McInnes has promised to give "absolutely everything every game".

"I'll be demanding that of everyone with me as well, as everyone will demand of each other," he said.

"All I know is the boys are hungry, hurt by what happened last year, and there's a lot of people with a lot to play for."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/21/mcinnes-wants-to-see-action-not-hear-excuses/