What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

The unknown

Juniors
Agree, the lack of a genuine #9 heading into next year is pretty concerning.

We're pretty much banking on a 25 year old Walters who if he was good enough, would have cemented himself in 1st grade a longggg time ago

I would have got Issac Luke on a cheap 1 year deal and slowly groomed that Simpkins kid in.

Vic Mackey

Referee
We wont even have Reynolds until his court case and Liddle until mid year .

I feel if Reynolds was likely to be stood down he would have by now

The 9 is obviously a big concern, interestingly Mbye was pictured training there before the break. Hasler always said he thought hooker was his best position

gordsy

Juniors

The 9 is obviously a big concern, interestingly Mbye was pictured training there before the break. Hasler always said he thought hooker was his best position
Can you stand down a player in the off season when we aren't even playing trials. What could you stand him down from apart from training ?? Given De Belin is allowed to train I can't see Reynolds being banned although Greenberg does seem to intensely dislike us so who knows.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Can you stand down a player in the off season when we aren't even playing trials. What could you stand him down from apart from training ?? Given De Belin is allowed to train I can't see Reynolds being banned although Greenberg does seem to intensely dislike us so who knows.

I do believe Tyrone May and JDB were stood down last off season, but as you say who knows with Greenberg

Magpies Forever

Juniors

My only concern is that if we shift Mbye to hooker, we weaken one of the few strong and competitive positional groups we have in the centres with Mbye and Momorovski. I'm hoping the rumour of Magure securing Matt Purnell (?) from ESL is true and that will cover hooker. I think Liddle is on the way out with his horror run of injuries (just my suspicion he might medically retire if his knees are shot).

With fullback I can only assume Dylan Smith has done nothing to earn a shot and I am thinking Abbey will get the gig if his fitness hold up through he trials and he will become our 28th player. As a totally left field suggestion for fullback what about Tommy Talau? I know he is supposed to be groomed as Marshall's replacement, but he's not free to play there yet, he is big, fast and having a 5/8 mind he would be attuned to running at gaps and passing the ball. Not bad attributes for a fullback. Thompson, Abbey, Nofo and Jennings can fight it out for the 2 x wing spots.

super_coach

First Grade
The tea leaves are telling me AJ from Souths will be our no1. No Trell, but probably a upgrade on CT. If nothing else, good to have a player who can run out of sight on a dark night

Shredder

Juniors
Two things

1. I think there is a genuine shortage of quality 9s across the NRL. Maybe this is why we have bought a couple of young guys? I mean who is out there playing now that we could sign for three years that you would be excited about?

2. If AJ comes I reckon he will play fullback.

1 AJ
2 JAC
3 Talau
4. Momo
5. Thommo / Nofo

Tiger05

First Grade
My only concern is that if we shift Mbye to hooker, we weaken one of the few strong and competitive positional groups we have in the centres with Mbye and Momorovski.

I'm not sure that Momo should be considered a strong centre. Mbye looks like a strong centre. Momo looked decent at times last year though and reminds me of Jason Nightingale who was a good player but I still think Momo has to prove himself as NRL player.

I am thinking Abbey will get the gig if his fitness hold up through he trials and he will become our 28th player. As a totally left field suggestion for fullback what about Tommy Talau?

Maybe Abbey will make it but surely the club isn't relying on someone who isn't even in our top 30 squad and who will be trying to earn a reserve grade spot.

As for Talau I figure he has to prove he is NRL quality first. He has done nothing at all in the top grade.

Our fullback at the moment will be either Thompson or Mbye. I think Mbye will go to hooker but who knows. We have problems at hooker and fullback plus we need an injection of pace in our outside backs.

Hopefully we will purchase a player or two because our squad looks to have a lot of critical weaknesses at this point.

Tiger05

First Grade
Two things

1. I think there is a genuine shortage of quality 9s across the NRL. Maybe this is why we have bought a couple of young guys? I mean who is out there playing now that we could sign for three years that you would be excited about?

2. If AJ comes I reckon he will play fullback.

1 AJ
2 JAC
3 Talau
4. Momo
5. Thommo / Nofo

My take is the club feels the same way about the lack of quality 9's.

We haven't signed JAC and I am skeptical of all signings until they are officially announced.

I reckon the backline will be something like:-

1 Thommo
2 Jennings
3 Talau
4. Momo
5. Nofo

if Mybe plays at 9. If Mbye plays in the centres I think Talau drops off unless he shows enough for Madge to pick him above Momo.

Is that backline going to be competitive in the NRL next year ? I think we desperately need some players. I can also see why the club is stating we are short in the centres and we are chasing Latrell.

Tigerm

First Grade
My take is the club feels the same way about the lack of quality 9's.

We haven't signed JAC and I am skeptical of all signings until they are officially announced.

I reckon the backline will be something like:-

1 Thommo
2 Jennings
3 Talau
4. Momo
5. Nofo

if Mybe plays at 9. If Mbye plays in the centres I think Talau drops off unless he shows enough for Madge to pick him above Momo.

Is that backline going to be competitive in the NRL next year ? I think we desperately need some players. I can also see why the club is stating we are short in the centres and we are chasing Latrell.
Momo needs to be in the side for his kicking alone IMO, but I think he showed at the end of last season he was improving to become a regular starter.

I agree with the Talau comment, he hasn't done anything yet to deserve a starting spot.

Jennings (in photo's) looks to have trimmed down, he was a gun at Souths, lets hope he can get back to that level this year (it is his end of contract year):D

Tigerm

First Grade
Wests Tigers’ best 17: A superstar is chasing a huge year to get his career back on track

The Wests Tigers probably expected to have superstar centre Latrell Mitchell on their books at this stage of the year so needless to stay 2020 has already gotten off to a rocky start.

Not landing him might turn out well for the Tigers though.

Mitchell’s arrival to the Rabbitohs leaves a lot of uncertainty around outside backs at the club including Adam Doueihi who’s been told by South Sydney he’s free to look elsewhere.

Doueihi has a strong relationship with Tigers coach Michael Maguire and the Tigers were in the market for an outside back.

Match made in heaven.

Regardless of whether the club can sign Doueihi, Maguire still has enough talent in his squad to go one better than last year and play finals footy in 2020.

The strength

Without a doubt it’s coach Michael Maguire.

He joined the club at a delicate time. His players would have been affected by the speculation that surrounded Ivan Cleary during the back end of 2018 and undoubtedly would have been stung hard when Cleary left them high and dry.

The club had a disappointing finish to last season.

But it could have ended a lot worse. The Tigers were only one win away from the finals and that’s a credit to Maguire. He didn’t have a star-studded squad but he made it work while uncovering Thomas Mikaele’s potential, developing Luke Garner into a regular first-grader and helping Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall turn back time.

Maguire’s coaching record speaks for itself. He’s won a Super League premiership and an NRL premiership.

He’s tough but fair and the Tigers need that if they want to be serious contender this year.

The pressure is on

Halves pairing Benji Marshall and Luke Brooks.

At this stage in Marshall’s career he’s taking it season by season.
The 34-year-old found terrific form last year so it makes sense to go round again.

However, his long-time teammate Robbie Farah hung up the boots at the end of 2019.

If Marshall can’t hit the same form, he’ll have a target on his back for critics who might suggest he played on a year too long.

Let’s say 2020 is Marshall’s final season. It will be his last chance to steer his beloved Tigers to their first final series since 2011.

If it isn’t his last, he’ll be 35 by the time the season starts and playing for another contract.

Whichever way he goes it’s a lot of pressure to face.

Marshall’s halves partner, Brooks holds the key to a successful year.

Of course the forward pack need to get the team on the front foot and the outside backs need to add the finishing touches, but ultimately this is Brooks’ team.

Coming up the ranks, he was the Tigers’ next big thing. He’s been a mainstay in first grade for six years now and has never played finals footy.

That needs to change.

The rising star

Tommy Talau may not get a shot in Round 1 but the 19-year-old is guaranteed to push his way into the 17 at some stage this year.

Talau’s debut game was the only time we saw him in the NRL last season and he didn’t look out of place.

He has played Australian Schoolboys and represented New South Wales in the Under-18s State of Origin so we know he’s got plenty of potential – he just needs another opportunity.

With the versatility to play five-eighth or in the centres he’s a handy talent to have on the books and will keep the pressure on Paul Momirovski and Moses Mbye as well as Marshall and Brooks.

Standing over six feet tall and weighing 96 kilos, Talau is a taller version of his dad, Willie who played over 100 games for the Bulldogs.

If he follows in his dad’s footsteps then Talau is in for a very rewarding career, but it seems as though this kid will forge his own name in the NRL and even surpass his dad’s achievements.

The unlucky ones

It’s always a good sign for a club when young players develop into first-graders but the downside is that it usually comes at the expense of a player that’s given plenty to the club.

Russell Packer is that guy.

When Ivan Cleary was appointed head coach, Packer was one of his big signings.

The 30-year-old was a first choice prop under Cleary and was one of the five co-captains.

Packer started off 2019 strong but eventually found himself playing Canterbury Cup.

It will be hard to fight his way back into the 17 – especially with the rise of young gun Thomas Mikaele.

Jacob Liddle is also worth a mention here. Not because he’ll miss out on selection, but because he would have been the club’s first choice hooker this year if he hadn’t suffered an ACL injury last season.

The 23-year-old has had an awful history with injuries – he had two shoulder reconstructions prior to doing his ACL.

Liddle has waited for his turn to take over No. 9 jersey at the Tigers and 2020 would have been his year to do just that.

It’s a big year for

Josh Reynolds. He’ll get the starting hooker role while Jacob Liddle recovers from an ACL injury but there’s no guarantee he’ll keep it when Liddle is fit again

He’ll need to be a consistent stand out to keep the No. 9 jersey over Robbie Farah’s heir.

There’s no denying the passion Reynolds brings to a team, you could throw him into any position and know he’ll give it a good crack.

However, he hasn’t found his spot in the Tigers’ line-up just yet.

If we rewind back to when Reynolds joined the Tigers on a $3 million four-year contract, no one could have predicted he would end up playing Canterbury Cup.

Injuries overshadowed his first season and it didn’t help that Marshall and Farah had easily nailed down their positions by the time he was fighting fit again.

Come 2019, Reynolds was given permission to negotiate with other clubs – a clear indication of his future at the Tigers.

At 30-years old and with a history with injuries, he’s edging towards the end of his career.

It goes without saying that 2020 is make or break for Reynolds

Wests Tigers’ best 17

1. Corey Thompson

2. David Nofoaluma

3. Paul Momirovski

4. Moses Mbye

5. Robert Jennings

6. Benji Marshall

7. Luke Brooks

8. Alex Twal

9. Josh Reynolds

10. Thomas Mikaele

11. Michael Chee-Kam

12. Luke Garner

13. Matt Eisenhuth

14. Elijah Taylor

15. Chris Lawrence

16. Josh Aloiai

17. Luciano Leilua

Agree, the lack of a genuine #9 heading into next year is pretty concerning.

We're pretty much banking on a 25 year old Walters who if he was good enough, would have cemented himself in 1st grade a longggg time ago

I would have got Issac Luke on a cheap 1 year deal and slowly groomed that Simpkins kid in.

Damien Cook came on late. He was 24/25 when he took over at Souths. He was just a fringe first grader before that at the Saints and Canterbury.

Legion

Juniors
We need to improve the squad but to do that we need gun players. We have a decent team. We just need to purchase or develop and retain some top tier players.

I consider Matterson a top tier player and he left after one season. We had Tedesco as well. Moses has also turned into a pretty good player. Woods when he started was a quality player. We will get a quality player soon. It will be retaining them and getting another couple.

I hate to be pessimistic but until we get some talent we have one of the weaker teams in the comp.

Poses certainly has skills, no doubt about it. He appears to read a game well. But, he's another one of those players who has an attitude that gets in his way - he suffers from the Hayne Syndrome - swelled head. Thinks he's better than what he is. Has a deplorable way of communicating with his teammates [In fact, I'm surprised that one of them haven't punched him in the face already]
He's one of those players who would do much better with quality players around him. Average players frustrate him & make him look bad [But hey, at least then he has someone to blame for his mistakes]

Any No Dickhead rule would run a line through his name as a matter-off-course.
No, he belongs at Parra. The funny thing is that they think that they got one over us by poaching him, bwahahahaha ...... er, cough, I mean, 'You owe us one Parra' you sleazy maggots.

Legion

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/a97d1eaca29f7f7b69a313bc37af8cba

Wests Tigers’ best 17: A superstar is chasing a huge year to get his career back on track

The Wests Tigers probably expected to have superstar centre Latrell Mitchell on their books at this stage of the year so needless to stay 2020 has already gotten off to a rocky start.

Not landing him might turn out well for the Tigers though.

Mitchell’s arrival to the Rabbitohs leaves a lot of uncertainty around outside backs at the club including Adam Doueihi who’s been told by South Sydney he’s free to look elsewhere.

Doueihi has a strong relationship with Tigers coach Michael Maguire and the Tigers were in the market for an outside back.

Match made in heaven.

Regardless of whether the club can sign Doueihi, Maguire still has enough talent in his squad to go one better than last year and play finals footy in 2020.

The strength

Without a doubt it’s coach Michael Maguire.

He joined the club at a delicate time. His players would have been affected by the speculation that surrounded Ivan Cleary during the back end of 2018 and undoubtedly would have been stung hard when Cleary left them high and dry.

The club had a disappointing finish to last season.

But it could have ended a lot worse. The Tigers were only one win away from the finals and that’s a credit to Maguire. He didn’t have a star-studded squad but he made it work while uncovering Thomas Mikaele’s potential, developing Luke Garner into a regular first-grader and helping Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall turn back time.

Maguire’s coaching record speaks for itself. He’s won a Super League premiership and an NRL premiership.

He’s tough but fair and the Tigers need that if they want to be serious contender this year.

The pressure is on

Halves pairing Benji Marshall and Luke Brooks.

At this stage in Marshall’s career he’s taking it season by season.
The 34-year-old found terrific form last year so it makes sense to go round again.

However, his long-time teammate Robbie Farah hung up the boots at the end of 2019.

If Marshall can’t hit the same form, he’ll have a target on his back for critics who might suggest he played on a year too long.

Let’s say 2020 is Marshall’s final season. It will be his last chance to steer his beloved Tigers to their first final series since 2011.

If it isn’t his last, he’ll be 35 by the time the season starts and playing for another contract.

Whichever way he goes it’s a lot of pressure to face.

Marshall’s halves partner, Brooks holds the key to a successful year.

Of course the forward pack need to get the team on the front foot and the outside backs need to add the finishing touches, but ultimately this is Brooks’ team.

Coming up the ranks, he was the Tigers’ next big thing. He’s been a mainstay in first grade for six years now and has never played finals footy.

That needs to change.

The rising star

Tommy Talau may not get a shot in Round 1 but the 19-year-old is guaranteed to push his way into the 17 at some stage this year.

Talau’s debut game was the only time we saw him in the NRL last season and he didn’t look out of place.

He has played Australian Schoolboys and represented New South Wales in the Under-18s State of Origin so we know he’s got plenty of potential – he just needs another opportunity.

With the versatility to play five-eighth or in the centres he’s a handy talent to have on the books and will keep the pressure on Paul Momirovski and Moses Mbye as well as Marshall and Brooks.

Standing over six feet tall and weighing 96 kilos, Talau is a taller version of his dad, Willie who played over 100 games for the Bulldogs.

If he follows in his dad’s footsteps then Talau is in for a very rewarding career, but it seems as though this kid will forge his own name in the NRL and even surpass his dad’s achievements.

The unlucky ones

It’s always a good sign for a club when young players develop into first-graders but the downside is that it usually comes at the expense of a player that’s given plenty to the club.

Russell Packer is that guy.

When Ivan Cleary was appointed head coach, Packer was one of his big signings.

The 30-year-old was a first choice prop under Cleary and was one of the five co-captains.

Packer started off 2019 strong but eventually found himself playing Canterbury Cup.

It will be hard to fight his way back into the 17 – especially with the rise of young gun Thomas Mikaele.

Jacob Liddle is also worth a mention here. Not because he’ll miss out on selection, but because he would have been the club’s first choice hooker this year if he hadn’t suffered an ACL injury last season.

The 23-year-old has had an awful history with injuries – he had two shoulder reconstructions prior to doing his ACL.

Liddle has waited for his turn to take over No. 9 jersey at the Tigers and 2020 would have been his year to do just that.

It’s a big year for

Josh Reynolds. He’ll get the starting hooker role while Jacob Liddle recovers from an ACL injury but there’s no guarantee he’ll keep it when Liddle is fit again

He’ll need to be a consistent stand out to keep the No. 9 jersey over Robbie Farah’s heir.

There’s no denying the passion Reynolds brings to a team, you could throw him into any position and know he’ll give it a good crack.

However, he hasn’t found his spot in the Tigers’ line-up just yet.

If we rewind back to when Reynolds joined the Tigers on a $3 million four-year contract, no one could have predicted he would end up playing Canterbury Cup.

Injuries overshadowed his first season and it didn’t help that Marshall and Farah had easily nailed down their positions by the time he was fighting fit again.

Come 2019, Reynolds was given permission to negotiate with other clubs – a clear indication of his future at the Tigers.

At 30-years old and with a history with injuries, he’s edging towards the end of his career.

It goes without saying that 2020 is make or break for Reynolds

Wests Tigers’ best 17

1. Corey Thompson

2. David Nofoaluma

3. Paul Momirovski

4. Moses Mbye

5. Robert Jennings

6. Benji Marshall

7. Luke Brooks

8. Alex Twal

9. Josh Reynolds

10. Thomas Mikaele

11. Michael Chee-Kam

12. Luke Garner

13. Matt Eisenhuth

14. Elijah Taylor

15. Chris Lawrence

16. Josh Aloiai

17. Luciano Leilua

You make a lot of good points.

Douehi absolutely yes.

Madge is a professional whose come in with a great attitude. After the run of f**kwits like Taylor [who I wouldn't leave in charge of the piss bucket] & then that clown Cleary who swore black & blue that 'I'm here to do a job & I'm not going anywhere'. It wasn't long after giving that assurance he turned & ran.

MacGuire I sense, is not the type of bloke to go back on his word. The way he speaks using words like 'us' & 'we' as in the club, tells me that he's here to stay.
He's exactly what we needed.

Benji's a great ball player, organiser & reads a game as well as anyone.
Look at the influence that Cronk had playing a GF with a busted shoulder.
Marshall is good value for his organisational & kicking skills alone. Don't worry about Benji.

Brooks; am I the only one who thinks that he'd do really well at hooker? He's strong, a good defender, can kick, distributes the ball well. I think playing hooker would bring out the best in him.

Reynolds is a worry. Although we paid over the top for him, it's a real shame that he's spent so much time injured. Couldn't stand the bloke when he was a Doggie but as you say, he's versatile & he puts in 100%. He's enthusiastic, the type of player who lifts others. That can make a big difference in close games. Grub is good for team morale.
Letting him go would free up some cash but to sign who?

As others have said, time to look overseas.
I hope those who talk about expanding the competition are paying attention. We're running out of quality players as it is. Players are already expecting more than they're worth. Imagine another team entering the comp & what that would do to players expectations.
Shit, a bloke like Mitchell would be asking for $2mil a year, lol.

Tigerm

First Grade
You make a lot of good points.

Douehi absolutely yes.

Madge is a professional whose come in with a great attitude. After the run of f**kwits like Taylor [who I wouldn't leave in charge of the piss bucket] & then that clown Cleary who swore black & blue that 'I'm here to do a job & I'm not going anywhere'. It wasn't long after giving that assurance he turned & ran.

MacGuire I sense, is not the type of bloke to go back on his word. The way he speaks using words like 'us' & 'we' as in the club, tells me that he's here to stay.
He's exactly what we needed.

Benji's a great ball player, organiser & reads a game as well as anyone.
Look at the influence that Cronk had playing a GF with a busted shoulder.
Marshall is good value for his organisational & kicking skills alone. Don't worry about Benji.

Brooks; am I the only one who thinks that he'd do really well at hooker? He's strong, a good defender, can kick, distributes the ball well. I think playing hooker would bring out the best in him.

Reynolds is a worry. Although we paid over the top for him, it's a real shame that he's spent so much time injured. Couldn't stand the bloke when he was a Doggie but as you say, he's versatile & he puts in 100%. He's enthusiastic, the type of player who lifts others. That can make a big difference in close games. Grub is good for team morale.
Letting him go would free up some cash but to sign who?

As others have said, time to look overseas.
I hope those who talk about expanding the competition are paying attention. We're running out of quality players as it is. Players are already expecting more than they're worth. Imagine another team entering the comp & what that would do to players expectations.
Shit, a bloke like Mitchell would be asking for $2mil a year, lol.
I agree re: Brooks at hooker is worth a try. His defence has improved a lot. The rest of his game is also suited. But the problem is, we are not strong in the halves either atm. I wouldn't be surprised though if he does end up there.

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree re: Brooks at hooker is worth a try. His defence has improved a lot. The rest of his game is also suited. But the problem is, we are not strong in the halves either atm. I wouldn't be surprised though if he does end up there.

Surely no sane person is moving Brooks to 9. He has been our best player the last couple of years.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'm hoping the rumour of Magure securing Matt Purnell (?) from ESL is true and that will cover hooker. I think Liddle is on the way out with his horror run of injuries (just my suspicion he might medically retire if his knees are shot).

You're thinking of Matt Parcell, the QLD hooker that left Manly for ESL. He would be a good signing. I hadn't heard that rumour, though someone did say they heard Madge talk about bringing Billy Brittain in. I'm still rather concerned about hooker, but we were in this situation before under Taylor when he had decided to get rid of Farah.

Latest posts