What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I remember eating this on toast as a young tacker because thats what Dad did. Pecks Paste - a pink anchovette paste in a pink jar.. I can't find pictures of that jar, only more modern ones..

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/pecks-pastes-australia/

medias

Party-1.jpg

In the late 70's early 80's I worked for a company called Containers that made the can's for these!

Yeah it’s funny how we remember the products and services of yesterday, but not so much the stories of the people behind them.

A few years ago I was reading about the introduction of the ea falcon which was an awesome car for its day. The Federal government bought a stack of them.

We could still have a car industry if gm and ford made cars people liked. Toyota were fine and able to stay profitable but with the loss of gm and ford, the third party suppliers couldn’t manage the reduced volume.

I can just imagine being on the factory line helping to build the first ea because it was so radically different from the previous model. Designed in the uk but the lads here modified its arse and we got a very handy outcome.

Ministers were driven around in the luxury models. Now they drive over-engineered luxury German cars that break down a lot.

You would think a new Camry would suffice. Maybe put a v8 in it for prestige.

If the government had bought most of the commodore w1’s at $250k a piece, they would have made a tidy profit on them to spend on hospitals and fireys etc.

For the youngsters, this guy replaced the one underneath. Look carefully and you see the beginnings of cars of today!

1988 EA Falcon
61536733-6567-41E4-B90B-ED33E827D2A4.jpeg

1987 XF FALCON
9427F798-B1B9-4340-A166-36695ED4A089.jpeg

Kids, note all the room you had in the xf for modding.

Back in the day, turning your car into a death trap was almost mandatory for you to be taken seriously by any other young person.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
The abc is frequently running down and denigrating a large proportion of the population and attributing values to them they simply do not hold.

Once you start marginalising large sections of the population, over time people become less enthusiastic about your service and less likely to be worried about a funding cuts.

Ordinary people are sick and tired of being told there’s something wrong with them and their values and way of life.
The boomer energy in this thread has rocketed off the charts

The boomer energy in this thread has rocketed off the charts

There’s a chance there’s some young people out there who may find a small degree of enlightenment and inspiration from the relatively recent past.

Some things in the past we’re much better than they are today.

All the stats say that in the broad, people were far happier and more content in mid to late 20th century than we are today. We had much better government for a start.

Yes, there were issues, but the modern world is hostile and selfish. MSM is completely f**ked.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Yeah it’s funny how we remember the products and services of yesterday, but not so much the stories of the people behind them.

A few years ago I was reading about the introduction of the ea falcon which was an awesome car for its day. The Federal government bought a stack of them.

We could still have a car industry if gm and ford made cars people liked. Toyota were fine and able to stay profitable but with the loss of gm and ford, the third party suppliers couldn’t manage the reduced volume.

I can just imagine being on the factory line helping to build the first ea because it was so radically different from the previous model. Designed in the uk but the lads here modified its arse and we got a very handy outcome.

Ministers were driven around in the luxury models. Now they drive over-engineered luxury German cars that break down a lot.

You would think a new Camry would suffice. Maybe put a v8 in it for prestige.

If the government had bought most of the commodore w1’s at $250k a piece, they would have made a tidy profit on them to spend on hospitals and fireys etc.

For the youngsters, this guy replaced the one underneath. Look carefully and you see the beginnings of cars of today!

1988 EA Falcon
View attachment 35715

1987 XF FALCON
View attachment 35716

Kids, note all the room you had in the xf for modding.

Back in the day, turning your car into a death trap was almost mandatory for you to be taken seriously by any other young person.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's a 1983 XE Falcon, XF was more refined while the EA didn't come good until they reconfigured the engine from 3.9 to a 4 litre unit, bore or stroke I'm not sure, great motor.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's a 1983 XE Falcon, XF was more refined while the EA didn't come good until they reconfigured the engine from 3.9 to a 4 litre unit, bore or stroke I'm not sure, great motor.

Well spotted.

I loved the XD Falcon myself. I remember when I was a kid a mate of mine's father bought one - and I was amazed to see it has a digital clock on the dash.... wow the future...

410d426f84d381ad5d1f9713eb26f44d.jpg

Fair enough, I was taken by the shape of the ea and the design process. I will happily defer to your insights pertaining to the other issues.

Zadar

Juniors
Well spotted.

I loved the XD Falcon myself. I remember when I was a kid a mate of mine's father bought one - and I was amazed to see it has a digital clock on the dash.... wow the future...

410d426f84d381ad5d1f9713eb26f44d.jpg
I had an XF fairlane, digital speedo,full electronics, and I could put my mountain bike in the back seat without any effort at all, the car was massive, you could even forget your girlfriend was still sleeping in the backseat from the night before it was that big:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I had an XF fairlane, digital speedo,full electronics, and I could put my mountain bike in the back seat without any effort at all, the car was massive, you could even forget your girlfriend was still sleeping in the backseat from the night before it was that big:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha yeah. The good old days where size was everything and economy didnt matter..

Reminds me of the family car from my earliest memories as a kid til the old man (sadly) sold it when I was about 10.

LE Monaro..

Monaro61.jpg

Gee there were some classics back then, like everything, if only we knew then what we know now....

Absolutely...

I always rip the old man for selling it, especially when he replaced the family beast with.... a Volvo..

An LE Monaro in great condition can fetch over $50,000 these days, and I've seen em for sale at higher. On the other hand, the Canary-Yellow 244GL Volvo he traded it in for values these days at around $1000..

Geez DAD!!!

12075057_10153802407361264_4405986238754073889_n-720x340.jpg

Zadar

Juniors
Absolutely...

I always rip the old man for selling it, especially when he replaced the family beast with.... a Volvo..

An LE Monaro in great condition can fetch over $50,000 these days, and I've seen em for sale at higher. On the other hand, the Canary-Yellow 244GL Volvo he traded it in for values these days at around $1000..

Geez DAD!!!

12075057_10153802407361264_4405986238754073889_n-720x340.jpg
haha,

“canary yellow? That’s Australian Gold and don’t you fkcing forget it tony”

Haha, and canary yellow to boot!!

It was horrible. I was the coolest kid in school getting dropped out the front in the LE with a booming V8 rumble as it pulled up. But lost all my cool points when the Yellow Peril came on the scene. I'd ask to get dropped off about 2 blocks away from the school gate.. which mum only agreed on some occasions.

But my "revenge" was getting car sick on a trip back from Merimbula. Chucked my guts up on some mountain bends (eggs for breakfast), went everywhere including right into the rear air conditioning vents. Dad could never completely get rid of the smell whenever the air con went on, so he sold the yellow volvo...... only to get a white one...