What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I enjoy young muz as much as any other poster, but my own view is that Old Kogarah Boy 1 appears to have won the day.

His remark was made in jest and can be seen as a well intended and wholesome attempt to add the bright light of humour into the darkness of this abominable, dank and very depressing occurrence.

Humour is often used to cope with loss.

Bj was a poor manager, that was his point. Few would disagree. At least he’s on his way, unlike our bloke.
Win?

There’s nothing to ‘win’ here.

He didn’t break any laws or forum rules...

But making light of a rape case is tasteless and offensive to a number of people.

Even if that wasn’t his intention, that’s what he did.

And when called out on it, his response was simply to start hurling abuse.

I’ll happily call our poor form when I see it. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with it, but hopefully it gets you thinking as to why it’s not right.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Musby you are still a hypocrite. It. Doesn't matter whether you put me in the swamp or not. I don't care. You are still a hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite.

Musby you are still a hypocrite. It. Doesn't matter whether you put me in the swamp or not. I don't care. You are still a hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite hypocrite.
A lot of posts on this subject are inane. Let the trial play out, there is little sense in chatter about the subject.. The result will be known in due course.

Win?

But making light of a rape case is tasteless and offensive to a number of people.

I’ll happily call our poor form when I see it. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with it, but hopefully it gets you thinking as to why it’s not right.

In my view, you are simply not understanding or refusing to understand the point okb1 was making.

You are interpreting it in a manner he never intended.

In my experience, okb1 is honourable and decent person who puts a lot of time into making the forum experience a good and happy one.

I commend his character and with genuine respect I think you should refrain from what I view are hurtful and ill conceived comments.

I’m only too pleased to be in the trench with him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In my view, you are simply not understanding or refusing to understand the point okb1 was making.

You are interpreting it in a manner he never intended.

In my experience, okb1 is honourable and decent person who puts a lot of time into making the forum experience a good one.

I commend his character and with genuine respect I think you should refrain from what I view are hurtful and ill conceived comments.
I get that he was trying to make a joke.

My point is that we are currently in the middle of a rape trial, the outcome of which will change at least one person’s life forever.

It’s not a joking matter.

There’s a time and a place for jokes and this is neither. Which is why I said it’s poor form.

I honestly can’t believe I’m debating the appropriateness of the joke with people.

betcats

Referee
Win?

This is a bit rich coming from you.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This surely must be wind up from muz because methinks he protest too much!

I’m glad that’s resolved.

I’m waiting for his punchline now!
Nope.. Unfortunately I’m serious on this one.

I don’t find anything funny about the trial or the situation around it.

Plus it’s a poor look for all dragons fans if outsiders or the media jump on here and see people are making light of the situation.

I’m happy to debate your opposing point of view on this in a logical fashion..

Nope.. Unfortunately I’m serious on this one.

I don’t find anything funny about the trial or the situation around it.

Plus it’s a poor look for all dragons fans if outsiders or the media jump on here and see people are making light of the situation.

I’m happy to debate your opposing point of view on this in a logical fashion..

Ok sure, but I’m at work so I will just have to add stuff this evening and we can go from there.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Ok sure, but I’m at work so I will just have to add stuff this evening and we can go from there.
Ta.. Bearing in mind my position is:
- I’m aware he was attempting a joke
- I believe it’s not the time or the place for such a joke
- As such, it’s inappropriate

Ta.. Bearing in mind my position is:
- I’m aware he was attempting a joke
- I believe it’s not the time or the place for such a joke
- As such, it’s inappropriate

No worries.

Two quick matters you may find of interest now:

It can be put that what is “ inappropriate” is subjective and has no universal application.

I can illustrate my thesis with examples of people making jokes in the most dire and distressing of circumstances.

My favourite is a passenger on the titanic whom in the midst of the unfathomable chaos whilst the ship was sinking, upon seeing the ships gym instructor, approached him and casually remarked:

“ I suppose our scheduled game of squash is cancelled for tomorrow?!”

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No worries.

Two quick matters you may find of interest now:

It can be put that what is “ inappropriate” is subjective and has no universal application.

I can illustrate my thesis with examples of people making jokes in the most dire and distressing of circumstances.

My favourite is a passenger on the titanic whom in the midst of the unfathomable chaos whilst the ship was sinking, upon seeing the ships gym instructor, approached him and casually remarked:

“ I suppose our scheduled game of squash is cancelled for tomorrow?!”
Unfortunately “inappropriate” is not subjective, as you put it. It’s directly related to the situation or task at hand. A hammer is an inappropriate tool to use for brain surgery. Asking someone their age or sexual preference in a job interview is an inappropriate question.

And for the Titanic quote- for those directly involved in a situation, sure, do what you need to in order to get yourself through (bearing in mind if the quote was true we don’t know what impact that joke then had on the gym instructor).

Had someone on the Carpathia made a similar joke about the folk from the titanic not being able to play squash, that would be highly inappropriate.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Sorry to interrupt the banter, but has the actual trial begun, or are we waiting for legal argument to be resolved prior to witnesses giving testimony as we are coming to the end of week. Would there be any chance of the trial being delayed until a future date given we are coming to the end of week 1 and I can't fund any reference in the media as to what is happening

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sorry to interrupt the banter, but has the actual trial begun, or are we waiting for legal argument to be resolved prior to witnesses giving testimony as we are coming to the end of week. Would there be any chance of the trial being delayed until a future date given we are coming to the end of week 1 and I can't fund any reference in the media as to what is happening
Trial for both parties is listed as live today on the courts nsw website

Unfortunately “inappropriate” is not subjective, as you put it. It’s directly related to the situation or task at hand. A hammer is an inappropriate tool to use for brain surgery. Asking someone their age or sexual preference in a job interview is an inappropriate question.

And for the Titanic quote- for those directly involved in a situation, sure, do what you need to in order to get yourself through (bearing in mind if the quote was true we don’t know what impact that joke then had on the gym instructor).

Had someone on the Carpathia made a similar joke about the folk from the titanic not being able to play squash, that would be highly inappropriate.

We may find polygamy inappropriate but to the people who like and practice it, it is appropriate.

Asking someone as to their age or sexual preference is appropriate where the position has legal requirements for same.

A 17 year old is not allowed to serve alcohol, so checking her age At interview is appropriate.

What you are doing is suggesting that okb1 needs to defer and share your own values. I don’t think he does.

I don’t see any reason why your values are any more valid or valuable as his.

The quote is true, you can research it. We don’t know what the gym instructor thought, but we do know that he died....whilst our joker survived.

I can accept that you are captured by your own view of the world and you right to hold these views. But okb1 is also correct.

If you are offended by other people’s views, the forum (and the world) might not be a happy place for you. That is a shame.

All you need to do is adopt a more forgiving approach, regard people as your equal.

betcats

Referee

Inappropriate is not subjective? really? So all over the world in every culture the same things are considered inappropriate? Please.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We may find polygamy inappropriate but to the people who like and practice it, it is appropriate.
It’s appropriate to their situation, but unfortunately not to the masses. If the polygamist started spouting their views to people who may not like it, it could cause issues. Eg. For people who have trust issues etc the concept of polygamy can raise issues in their own relationships - even if there is nothing to worry about.

Asking someone as to their age or sexual preference is appropriate where the position has legal requirements for same.
I can assure you someone’s sexual preference is never okay to ask in an interview. Neither is age.

For your point around the risk of 17 year old serving alcohol, this can be addressed by asking for their RSA.

What you are doing is suggesting that okb1 needs to defer and share your own values. I don’t think he does.
I’m suggesting he’s out of line with society’s values.

You don’t know who is reading this forum. Making light of rape cases can be a trigger for those who’ve been involved in them in the past.

If he & his mates like that kind of humour, do it away from public eyes.

The quote is true, you can research it. We don’t know what the gym instructor thought, but we do know that he died....whilst our joker survived.
I wasn’t questioning the authenticity of the story. I was asking about the different lenses through which this could be viewed. Given your poligamy example at the start you should get this.

I’ll ask again, would the joke have been funny if someone from the Carpathia had said it?

I can accept that you are captured by your own view of the world and you right to hold these views. But okb1 is also correct.
I wouldn’t say it’s just “my view of the world”. Do you recall how Darren Lockyer’s bulldogs joke went down back in the mid noughties?

I think you’ll find that it’s well accepted in society that jokes around rape aren’t particularly appropriate.

If you are offended by other people’s views, the forum (and the world) might not be a happy place for you. That is a shame.

All you need to do is adopt a more forgiving approach, regard people as your equal.

I’m fine with other people’s views. It’s when their views can be harmful to others that I’ll call it out.

I’ve had it in the past where I was acting inappropriately because I wasn’t aware of the impact on others. Thankfully people took the time to point it out so I could realise the impact and stop the behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.