What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

SBD82

Coach
AC95DDCF-BC03-4F29-8A74-AE95224DAB7C.jpeg

Cam: so basically, if we plan for the field to be this much longer instead of 1 metre shorter, we should score heaps more tries.

Mary: yeah... um... I reckon I’ve nearly got it. Could you run me through it one more time?

Old Timer

Coach
Yes, there was always more fight in them to secure a rest to bludge on the blind side in defense ! In saying that all great with ball in hand .
Indeed while Starkey, Stone and Albert did the hard stuff in the middle.
Huddart was also prone to a rest in amongst the outside backs while Ryan, Gourley and Rasmussen defended the centre with Poppa.

I thought this thread was for discussing our future looking team?

Why are we discussing the time way back when the world was black & white?

Obvious answer Muz is that the players being discussed by OT and co were part of a great footy side.

mine that would tar and feather the present lot. No harm in digressing for a moment.

plenty of time this coming season to talk about whether the up and coming juniors will be given a chance to shine.

Merrin was obviously the insurance policy for JDB.

As for the backs we are likely to wait till 2021 to radically improve the backline and the head coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
I thought this thread was for discussing our future looking team?

Why are we discussing the time way back when the world was black & white?

We were all a hell of a lot happier then , as the world was actually red and white .

Obvious answer Muz is that the players being discussed by OT and co were part of a great footy side.

mine that would tar and feather the present lot. No harm in digressing for a moment.

plenty of time this coming season to talk about whether the up and coming juniors will be given a chance to shine.

Merrin was obviously the insurance policy for JDB.

As for the backs we are likely to wait till 2021 to radically improve the backline and the head coach.

It cannot happen soon enough mate , I hate the thought of another season going down the drain due to the incompetence of those in positions of guidance and power .

getsmarty

Immortal
External pressure not a factor for Dragons: Vaughan
Dragons Den
r0_0_4536_3364_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FOCUS: Dragons prop Paul Vaughan said his side can't let external pressure affect their 2020 campaign. Picture: NRL Photos
Dragons prop Paul Vaughan knows his side will be under enough pressure to start the season without piling it on themselves

Slow starts have rarely been an issue for the club in recent seasons, but a sluggish run out blocks in 2020 will see the blowtorch turned up to maximum.

Coach Paul McGregor will feel the most heat, with his future reportedly on the line, but the playing group can expect its share of scrutiny after a 15th placed finish in 2019.

The Dragons will need to hit the ground running with a draw that sees them face the Eels, Raiders, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Storm - the top five sides from last season - in the opening eight rounds.

None of it is news to Vaughan, but he said his side can't let external pressure drive their campaign.

"[Pressure's] always there, that's the way it is in footy, but as soon as you start listening to the external noise you can get off course pretty quick," Vaughan said.

"I don't think it'll be panic stations straight away if we don't get off to the best start but it's obviously what you want to do. We're pretty well known for starting pretty fast and hard.

"Hopefully we get off to that kind of start and then continue it throughout the year. I think that's the biggest thing, we want to be consistent throughout the whole season.

"We can't have any lulls or lapses where we drop a couple of games through that middle part of the season. If we can get everyone in sync with each other playing that direct powerful game we can play then I think we'll have a really strong year."

A 15th placed finish to last season - the lowest in the joint-venture's history - prompted the club to make wholesale changes to its coaching staff - the most notable being the addition of former premiership-winning Sharks coach Shane Flanagan.

Having had the same coaching support staff in all his previous three seasons with the club, Vaughan said it's been refreshing to hear some new voices.

"If you look at where we finished, you can't have that happen in back to back years," Vaughan said.

"We've put some things in place to not have the same thing happen again. It's been good, Flanno obviously brings a wealth of experience and everything he says has got a lot of weight behind it.

"He's someone I'm keen to learn off and Shep's [James Shepherd] the same, he's been in a lot of great systems and he brings a different perspective which has been good.

"It always depends on how you look at it but change can be a good thing and I think it's been a positive thing for the club moving forward."

While the coaching staff has a very different look, doubters have not seen enough change in the roster to think the Dragons can climb back into the top eight.

Gareth Widdop has departed for the UK, while Jack de Belin's availability remains subject to criminal court proceedings that commenced on Monday.

The addition of veteran pair Isaac Luke and Trent Merrin has done little to silence the knockers but Vaughan is adamant it's a roster that can mount a finals charge.

"The spine's strong, you've got two representative halves [Ben Hunt and Corey Norman there], Zac Lomax is a great young player and Cam [McInnes] has been on the brink of rep footy for a couple of years now," Vaughan said.

"The forward pack pretty impressive as well and the boys we've brought in have a wealth of experience. Bully [Luke]was one of the best hookers in the game when he was at Souths.

"He's still so deceptive out of dummy-half and brings another element to the nine there with Cam. Mez had done it all before so he's looking to come back and getting into playing well for the club and the boys.

"I know things just didn't go our way last year but if you look at the roster it's a bloody strong team."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ure-not-a-factor-for-dragons-vaughan/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL pre-season: The player Smith misses most, Warriors’ No.6 race heats up

DRAGONS

Ben Hunt has described defending against new recruit Tyrell Fuimaono like “tackling a brick”.

“He rips in, Tyrell,” Hunt told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s been in the back row against me since he arrived.

“It’s like trying to tackle a brick. Everything’s just really hard on him.

“He’s going really well and if he gets his shot he’ll prove he’s up to it.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/6d88f8037fc03d0220efd79cd4cefa41

Frank Facer

First Grade
Ponga is off contract at the end of 2021. He will be able to negotiate with clubs at the end of the year. I think we should make him our number 1 target. There will obviously be a lot of competition for his signature. He would be a marquee signing and the best signing we have made since I have been watching us play for 40 years. We should already be looking into TPA's for him too. He is one of the most marketable players in the game. Just imagine in 2022

1 Ponga
2 Saab
3 Lomax
4 Feagai
5 Feagai/Ramsey
6 Sullivan
7 Flanagan

All the outside backs are big and fast.

BLM01

First Grade
Ponga is off contract at the end of 2021. He will be able to negotiate with clubs at the end of the year. I think we should make him our number 1 target. There will obviously be a lot of competition for his signature. He would be a marquee signing and the best signing we have made since I have been watching us play for 40 years. We should already be looking into TPA's for him too. He is one of the most marketable players in the game. Just imagine in 2022

1 Ponga
2 Saab
3 Lomax
4 Feagai
5 Feagai/Ramsey
6 Sullivan
7 Flanagan

All the outside backs are big and fast.
Hahahaha....starry starry eyed Frank.. not with our current football club department and admin. Our club will take years to recover in regards to reputation from where we are and many more years to be an attraction for a star player like Ponga if it can ever be classified again as a wealthy super club like the Melbourne roosters Broncs Parra and Souths of this world. I have grave doubts

denis preston

First Grade
Indeed while Starkey, Stone and Albert did the hard stuff in the middle.
Huddart was also prone to a rest in amongst the outside backs while Ryan, Gourley and Rasmussen defended the centre with Poppa.

Spot on OT. Huddart was a bad asthmatic and needed these rests.Probably Frank Facers worst move in spending the equivalent of 2 million on a player to make sure he didn't play elsewhere.Whilst a solid player he never raised to the heights he showed for the Lyons out here in 62, where he looked the best running forward in the world by far.

Huddart was a little before my time but my father said the same - couldn't produce the same form that he did with the Pom sides out here although I think he played in the 66 GF

Coffs dragon

Bench
I think you’re right Jimmy re the decider.
Big JJ what a great 2nd rower partnered with Robert Stone & Rocket Reddy as lock. Always remember the brilliant try that JJ scored in the 1977 GF replay against the Eels at the SCG. Right near were I was seated and I was in complete awe of his power & size & just about creamed my young duds!
He played in both 1977 Grand finals but definitely not the 1979 GF against the Dogs.