What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Pomoz

Bench
It's not that he's wrong just saying he was kind of pointing out the obvious which was the same as last year. although I think he's dead wrong about Luai.
Is there a reason you are talking about me in the third person? Luai is unproven. That is just a fact. He has played 17 games, 9 of them off the bench and in four of them he played less than 1o minutes. It's hard to prove yourself with so few games and especially when you have played Hooker, Centre and five eighth.

betcats

Referee
Is there a reason you are talking about me in the third person? Luai is unproven. That is just a fact. He has played 17 games, 9 of them off the bench and in four of them he played less than 1o minutes. It's hard to prove yourself with so few games and especially when you have played Hooker, Centre and five eighth.

He’s talking about girds I’m pretty sure.

franklin2323

Immortal
Just catching up on All Stars. 36 mins in a high kick goes up Ferguson and MWZ going for it. Challenge in the air defence wins it and no penalty. So it can be done still

OldPanther

Coach

I definitely meant Girds. Should've been more clear.

betcats

Referee
The thing that has me optimistic about this team going forward is the age of of a lot of our players, in particular the forwards. Kikau, Yeo, Jfh, Leota and Capewell are all in that 24-26 age group and have been around for years, they should be playing their best footy over the next few seasons. Api is 27, the halves are young but Cleary has plenty of games under his belt and we have some very good options to partner him. We just need a fullback and a winger and we look pretty good for the next few years.

Crashtest

Juniors
The comments from Girdler and Geyer in the NRL article on nrl.com. are spot on about the Panthers needing to stop relying on Kikau so heavily in attack. I especially like Geyers description that they use Kikau like "the best player in the under eights"!

I also agree with Geyers comments about Tetevano, and how he will help toughen up their attitude on defence. Lets hope he has the same sort of effect that Peter Kelly had on the team.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/24/why-panthers-need-to-stop-relying-so-much-on-kikau/

Why Panthers need to stop relying so much on Kikau

Penrith have to stop relying on Viliame Kikau in attack and make Nathan Cleary the dominant playmaker, according to club legends Mark Geyer and Ryan Girdler.

Geyer also praised the signing of former Roosters forward Zane Tetevano, likening him to the club bringing Canterbury two-time premiership winner Peter Kelly into its ranks in 1988.

"They needed to fix their attitude in defence and I like them bringing in Zane Tetevano," Geyer told NRL.com.

"When Peter Kelly was brought to Penrith in 1988, it reminds me of that.

"He was this tough, uncompromising forward who had won comps and it rubbed off on us young blokes.

"And I think that can be the same with Tetevano. [Kurt] Capewell and [Api] Koroisau also seem perfect for Penrith too."

Geyer and Girdler had five years together at Penrith in between the club's two premierships – Geyer in 1991 and Girdler in 2003.

Girdler said the poor defence from last year – the Panthers conceded 20 points or more in 12 of their 13 losses – could be fixed but he was worried about the attack.

"They can't rely on big Billy," the former NSW and Australian centre said.

"It can't be a plan of 'let's get into the opposition's half and through to the left to Kikau'. Teams will be sweating on Kikau defensively this year so it can't be a one-man attack option.

"They had no problem getting the football into the opposition 20 but couldn't convert the opportunities.

"I also think they've lost their most creative player in James Maloney. There are some good young guys coming through.

"And while Nathan is improving, he seems to like to play within structures and I think you need someone in there with a bit of unpredictability – that's what James gave them.

"The key position of who is playing No.6 is still up in the air with Jarome [Luai], Matt Burton there, and I think they need to settle on that."

Penrith use Kikau like "the best player in the under eights", according to Geyer.

OldPanther

Coach
The comments from Girdler and Geyer in the NRL article on nrl.com. are spot on about the Panthers needing to stop relying on Kikau so heavily in attack. I especially like Geyers description that they use Kikau like "the best player in the under eights"!

I also agree with Geyers comments about Tetevano, and how he will help toughen up their attitude on defence. Lets hope he has the same sort of effect that Peter Kelly had on the team.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/24/why-panthers-need-to-stop-relying-so-much-on-kikau/

Why Panthers need to stop relying so much on Kikau

Penrith have to stop relying on Viliame Kikau in attack and make Nathan Cleary the dominant playmaker, according to club legends Mark Geyer and Ryan Girdler.

Geyer also praised the signing of former Roosters forward Zane Tetevano, likening him to the club bringing Canterbury two-time premiership winner Peter Kelly into its ranks in 1988.

"They needed to fix their attitude in defence and I like them bringing in Zane Tetevano," Geyer told NRL.com.

"When Peter Kelly was brought to Penrith in 1988, it reminds me of that.

"He was this tough, uncompromising forward who had won comps and it rubbed off on us young blokes.

"And I think that can be the same with Tetevano. [Kurt] Capewell and [Api] Koroisau also seem perfect for Penrith too."

Geyer and Girdler had five years together at Penrith in between the club's two premierships – Geyer in 1991 and Girdler in 2003.

Girdler said the poor defence from last year – the Panthers conceded 20 points or more in 12 of their 13 losses – could be fixed but he was worried about the attack.

"They can't rely on big Billy," the former NSW and Australian centre said.

"It can't be a plan of 'let's get into the opposition's half and through to the left to Kikau'. Teams will be sweating on Kikau defensively this year so it can't be a one-man attack option.

"They had no problem getting the football into the opposition 20 but couldn't convert the opportunities.

"I also think they've lost their most creative player in James Maloney. There are some good young guys coming through.

"And while Nathan is improving, he seems to like to play within structures and I think you need someone in there with a bit of unpredictability – that's what James gave them.

"The key position of who is playing No.6 is still up in the air with Jarome [Luai], Matt Burton there, and I think they need to settle on that."

Penrith use Kikau like "the best player in the under eights", according to Geyer.

They're right. Not using Kikau will be just as effective as using him since he's what the defence will be focused on. A few simple shapes that allow the halves go to Kikau or use the backline with variation will be enough for that left side.

betcats

Referee
Part of the problem last year is that both our biggest attacking weapons were on the left side in Billy and Jimmy. On the right we had Yeo having his worst season yet and Whare really offering nothing in attack. Capewell and Martin will offer more than Yeo did and Crichton will provide a much bigger threat than Whare.

The under 8s comment is 100 percent right. Short ball to kikau ignoring a two man overlap outside him was our go to play.

franklin2323

Immortal
They're right. Not using Kikau will be just as effective as using him since he's what the defence will be focused on. A few simple shapes that allow the halves go to Kikau or use the backline with variation will be enough for that left side.

Use the right more and it frees up Kikau on the left too. Just as effective for half as many carries

OldPanther

Coach
Part of the problem last year is that both our biggest attacking weapons were on the left side in Billy and Jimmy. On the right we had Yeo having his worst season yet and Whare really offering nothing in attack. Capewell and Martin will offer more than Yeo did and Crichton will provide a much bigger threat than Whare.

The under 8s comment is 100 percent right. Short ball to kikau ignoring a two man overlap outside him was our go to play.

Use the right more and it frees up Kikau on the left too. Just as effective for half as many carries

Couldn't have better comments go one after the other haha. It builds a nice picture of the team over all if they use it well which is all up to Barrett.

age.s

First Grade

It's remarkable how often he looked like that kid in the U8s though. Flat footed with multiple defenders covering him and he'd still produce magic pretty regularly.

He'll be the best player in the game if we can use him even halfway properly.

betcats

Referee
It's remarkable how often he looked like that kid in the U8s though. Flat footed with multiple defenders covering him and he'd still produce magic pretty regularly.

He'll be the best player in the game if we can use him even halfway properly.

oh he’s a freak.

If we stop using him so much we will get bagged for not getting him enough ball. We need to use him smarter as you have alluded too.

Latest posts