What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

kinghippo

Juniors
Interesting comments by Ryan Girdler here. He thinks we'll struggle to score points, and that Nathan just isn't creative enough. He also doesn't think Luai is up to the rigours of FG.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-gr...s-season/5c814373-8bae-4aac-9350-19d8d10f70bc
Cleary has this label of not being super creative but he really is an excellent half and has developed each year he has been in first grade.
Luai may not look like every other 5/8 in the game but that’s what I like about him, you can’t tell what he is going to do.
He can’t be a worse defender than jimmy and if he fails May and Burton are waiting for a chance.

Some halves have players around them that only need half a chance to score a try.
We don’t have that. mansour, Edwards and Whare need to be handed a gift to score and are still a good chance of bombing it.

It’s a team sport, the halves have to set up tries but their job is so much easier if you have a fullback who is a threat, a lattrel or Sivo causing angst for defenders.

For a while last year we became a good “team”, the players were fighting for each other.
We can do it again this year, but everyone is accountable, not just the halves.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Well he's wrong about the weight thing. The outcome of not scoring could be true but it was in 2019 so it's not exactly a revolutionary thought. He's really just tipping them not to have any improvement.

Didn’t say no improvement just will struggle in attack. Given it is the most inexperienced spine then it is a decent prediction.

I think we make the 8 but I think we do winning games like 14-8 etc. I think we will pick a solid side that is not to lose games instead a side to blow teams away

OldPanther

Coach
Didn’t say no improvement just will struggle in attack. Given it is the most inexperienced spine then it is a decent prediction.

I think we make the 8 but I think we do winning games like 14-8 etc. I think we will pick a solid side that is not to lose games instead a side to blow teams away

By saying will struggle in attack he's saying we'll be the same as last year since we've sucked since at least 2017.

I agree with your assessment of how our year will go. We have new combinations and now Dill injured will hurt our ladder position a little even more so with some spots decided by F/A.

franklin2323

Immortal
By saying will struggle in attack he's saying we'll be the same as last year since we've sucked since at least 2017.

I agree with your assessment of how our year will go. We have new combinations and now Dill injured will hurt our ladder position a little even more so with some spots decided by F/A.

Our spine has been changed up every year since then. The issue this year isn’t lack of talent just needing time to develop as is the case with the centres

OldPanther

Coach
Our spine has been changed up every year since then. The issue this year isn’t lack of talent just needing time to develop as is the case with the centres

Definitely. We need some combinations in the spine long term. Even Tedesco and Cronk took half a season to gel with the Roosters and they are the best of the best.

betcats

Referee
Predicting us struggling to score is a fairly logical prediction tbf, we struggled mightily in this area last season and we have lost a noted attacking half in Jimmy. Now I personally think we will make improvements in this area and Jimmy won’t be a massive loss, but I can see how someone would predict we are going to struggle. Our hope is the new attacking coach plus Cleary and Jerome stepping up behind a very good pack as well as a creative and classy hooker being added. I’m not expecting miracles by any means but I do think we will get better.

OldPanther

Coach
Predicting us struggling to score is a fairly logical prediction tbf, we struggled mightily in this area last season and we have lost a noted attacking half in Jimmy. Now I personally think we will make improvements in this area and Jimmy won’t be a massive loss, but I can see how someone would predict we are going to struggle. Our hope is the new attacking coach plus Cleary and Jerome stepping up behind a very good pack as well as a creative and classy hooker being added. I’m not expecting miracles by any means but I do think we will get better.

Exactly It's the safe prediction without having to look to hard at the roster and surrounding context. Sounds like Girds is trying to be like the mainstream journos more than anything.

franklin2323

Immortal

I have no concerns long term just it will take atleast a season for combinations to develop and Luai/Burton getting used to FG. Same with outside backs Naden will be better. Crichton too even if he starts the year in Flegg (As unlikely as it is)

franklin2323

Immortal
Definitely. We need some combinations in the spine long term. Even Tedesco and Cronk took half a season to gel with the Roosters and they are the best of the best.

That and getting the Flegg guys up to speed with FG should be aim. Do the basics right around that and it will come

betcats

Referee
Exactly It's the safe prediction without having to look to hard at the roster and surrounding context. Sounds like Girds is trying to be like the mainstream journos more than anything.

I love Girds and I’m not insinuating he has a vendetta or anything, I’m sure he is giving his honest opinions but I know he wasn’t happy with the way the hook/Cleary thing went down, he is probably not going to have my optimism which is understandable.

franklin2323

Immortal
I love Girds and I’m not insinuating he has a vendetta or anything, I’m sure he is giving his honest opinions but I know he wasn’t happy with the way the hook/Cleary thing went down, he is probably not going to have my optimism which is understandable.

Nor would he of had time to watch and see how good these Flegg guys are. They lost a couple to other clubs Cini is huge loss and be curious how he goes against us tonight. Generally this is the side that beat a side containg David Fifita in the National Championships

betcats

Referee
I have no concerns long term just it will take atleast a season for combinations to develop and Luai/Burton getting used to FG. Same with outside backs Naden will be better. Crichton too even if he starts the year in Flegg (As unlikely as it is)

Yep there are a lot of young guys looking to claim their spots hopefully the staff can manage it well because some of these guys can be really good players.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep there are a lot of young guys looking to claim their spots hopefully the staff can manage it well because some of these guys can be really good players.

also though if they are duds then flexibility is there to go to the market. 12 guys off contract this year. The same the year after allows for a plan B or C if the young guys don’t come on. Won’t happen straight away though

franklin2323

Immortal
Saw this on Fox Sports App. That there lies my issue with Aekins at the back

Attachments

• AA144D3C-0720-4D46-80DD-B252540E40BA.png
    AA144D3C-0720-4D46-80DD-B252540E40BA.png
    589 KB · Views: 22
Cleary has this label of not being super creative but he really is an excellent half and has developed each year he has been in first grade.
Luai may not look like every other 5/8 in the game but that’s what I like about him, you can’t tell what he is going to do.
He can’t be a worse defender than jimmy and if he fails May and Burton are waiting for a chance.

Some halves have players around them that only need half a chance to score a try.
We don’t have that. mansour, Edwards and Whare need to be handed a gift to score and are still a good chance of bombing it.

It’s a team sport, the halves have to set up tries but their job is so much easier if you have a fullback who is a threat, a lattrel or Sivo causing angst for defenders.

For a while last year we became a good “team”, the players were fighting for each other.
We can do it again this year, but everyone is accountable, not just the halves.

There’s things Nathan does very well, but creating try scoring opportunities for the team isn’t one of them. And that’s the main role of a half. He admits himself that he regressed last year.

I know I’ve covered this ground a lot, but he just doesn’t have that genuine X factor a top level half has.

franklin2323

Immortal
There’s things Nathan does very well, but creating try scoring opportunities for the team isn’t one of them. And that’s the main role of a half. He admits himself that he regressed last year.

I know I’ve covered this ground a lot, but he just doesn’t have that genuine X factor a top level half has.

Which is why a ball playing FB with that is a must

Latest posts