What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

wibble

Bench
:joy:That’s right, this is coming from the Hitler comparison guy.

Well, you have in the past tried more than one liners. But this thread seems to bring out your inner troll.

Have you a particular objection to what I said about Txtas post comparing ScoMos tactics to Hitler's?

For example:

Do you agree that Nazi Germany came from a democracy but Hitler (and others) perverted democratic processes to create an authoritarian state?

Do you agree that democracies can fail and can be undermined by parties and leaders to help them fail?

Do you think it is a problem if democratic states fail and become like Nazi Germany?

Do you think that undermining democracy carries a risk, as shown by Nazi Germany?

Which of these things do you have a problem with?

Is there any point in asking, or are you just going to post emojis?

taipan

Referee
You are the one who is misreading what I am saying.

When I say that we have to worry about protecting democracy before oppositions are banned, you say that I am putting words in your mouth saying that he was elected on a platform of executing Jews.

Clearly I am not saying you said that. I have understood your dismissal of my apt statement.

You are essentially saying that 1) there are complex historical reasons for Nazism
2) Our democracy is strong
3) Therefore the comparison is not apt and is offensive, as we are a long way from Nazism

Neither of your first two points at all counter what I have said, and your third point does not naturally flow from your first two.

As you have said, there are not that many failed democratic states (though there are a number of "semi" democratic states). If we try to analyse why democracies fail, firstly we draw upon a limited number, and secondly, the failed states are pretty vile. This does not invalidate attempts to find why democracies fail though, though I have noted that doing so can be troubling because democracies, even when not strong, are usually a long way from the vile conditions of the few post democratic societies.

So, to directly address your arguments as succinctly as I can:

1) there are complex historical reasons for Nazism.

Yes, there are. I acknowledged some of them. Nevertheless, the point that I have made, that is irrelevant to this argument, is that Germany was a democracy, that through democratic processes (and yes, plenty of others, with help from such august institutions as the church and major business groups) eroded its own democracy to become a disgusting authoritarian country.

You say you acknowledge that it was a democracy, but you don't really agree to this point that democracy can be eroded through processes that are legal in a democracy, as you reiterate that Germany is unique, and besides which...(point 2)

2) Our democracy is much stronger. Which is again a bit of a dodge. You acknowledge Fiji as a Westminster democracy that has failed and still tout our house of review and Westminster system, but even if their were no failed Westminster brand democracies, the point that democracy can devolve through action from democratically elected leaders remains.

The problem with the Nazi label, as I have said, is that it easily offends. You seem caught up with it when you say things like I made a "dogmatic statement", and that you would not apply the "apt tag" (there is no tag), and it is an "appalling comparison". Because of your horror for this horrific regime, you are still leaping to emotional comparisons of the vile things Nazis did in a totalitarian state, which are not at all the things I am saying are "apt".

You are so adamant to make the point that we are nothing like Nazi Germany you have backed down on your earlier distaste for the anti democratic things that have been done recently in Australia (though you hedge on freedom of press).

We are on the same page, you just don't like the comparison.

We both (all) agree that Nazi Germany is a blight on humanity (not hard to agree). We both agree that no democracy currently (and probably even few authoritarian states at the moment) are anything like Nazi Germany in terms of how evil they are (I guess ISIS/ISIL would be up there, and Syria).

We both agree Nazi Germany came from a democratic state, that failed for a variety of complex reasons. We both know that Hitler didn't just gain power, he worked a democratic system (including using terrible violence like the "Night of long Knives", that also had political backing from politicians, the courts and the military despite being technically illegal according to the democratically formed laws) to become a supreme leader above the law.

We also both agree that our governments, even the ones you would find it "appalling" to apply the "apt tag"
to, have been caught out doing things that erode democracy. You have backtracked on that here, but you know spending tax payer money for blatant political purposes is both corrupt, and an erosion of democracy.

The only difference in our positions is how offended you are by any thought that our democracy could collapse. I don't claim it is imminent.

I have said that the extent to which you erode democracy is the extent to which you can be compared to Nazism in terms of political processes, in that it came about from eroded democracy.

If a poorly worded headline is a very minor erosion of democracy (which it is, but very minor), it is not very similar to the well organised propaganda of Goebbels. To call the paper Goebbels like would be unfair. To say that propaganda undermines democracy and allows authoritarian rulers to fool people into giving up democracy, as happened in Nazi Germany, is not unfair. Then it would be apt to remind people that while propaganda starts small and unorganised it has not much effect, it can lead (not by itself, it needs other historical factors) to Nazi like states.

If it were otherwise we would not value free press.

Only because we know that failed democracies can come about and can be terrible, and processes like propaganda, non independent judiciary, police over using powers, no transparency in law etc are tools in creating such states do we value their opposite, democratically affirming processes.

I know the full appalling story of t Nazism and it's origins.To equate the possibility of a similar situation arising in this country, when the situations and people who lead the country are so different in terms of value of human life for example, there is just no comparison.To suggest there is a correlation because of democracy being twisted or people in power make dumb decisions, is unfair.
When people are starving and out of work in numbers, they do desperate things,and any leader who promises' salvation" benefits.

Every Government in this country (all elected democratically)has at one stage or another used their position and influence to underpin their support or keep things close to their chest.
Democratic elections are certainly no guarantee to throw up perfect politicians or indeed keeping their promises..
I suggest the press in this country is free ,to the stage, it has at times open slather ,even to the point of omitting facts,distorting facts or telling porkies.When they are caught out, you see a small retraction tucked away in some inconsequential section of the print media.
Only one outlet admitted Morrison never stated, fires enjoy their work, others ran with it.
Again today on ABC Insiders, once again ScoMo's Hawaii was brought up ,in an interview with Albo.

Any media organisation that allows Buzz to roam at will ,is a fair indication as to how journalistic levels have fallen in this country.

wibble

Bench
haha
He said cameras in public places

nobody said he supported pedos.
Go read it again.

ive gave him plenty of examples why they are absolutely necessary.

Do you also think they are a bad idea?

haha

He said monitoring the internet. He said cameras in public places. He said tracking of data.

True, you did not say he supported pedos, that actually came from his reply. You pointed out how they caught a pedo. And caught someone attacking your family.

He did not say that public cameras were always bad, or could never have a place. He mentioned them as one part of a surveillance state. And now if you can find one example of the usefulness of a public camera, that invalidates concern about a surveillance state.

It is worth pointing out where public cameras can be useful. And where internet tracking can be useful. And where big data is useful (in many areas). And weighing these against how they can be abused. And discussing other surveillance (such as the example I raised about Assange having discussions with lawyers spied upon, and Weaponhead's discussion about facial recognition software used by authoritarian states).

If you wanted a genuine discussion about Quicksilver's discussion about a surveillance state.

Those who mentioned one aspect, in one line, about Quicksilver's mention of public cameras and then dismiss the whole discourse on that are being insincere.

I personally think we should have more surveillance. I'd like police to have cameras always on, obviously on (like with a glowing sign or something), and they are only allowed to perform their duties when they are on in such a fashion. I don't mind public cameras in every street.

I just don't trust politicians with that data. They will make a surveillance state if they can, as we have seen that politicians do whatever they can to stay in power.

If we have so much extra data about people now (and we do), I think we need to seriously consider another independent branch of the community that deals in recording and storing and giving out where needed, that data. Maybe the police cameras I would like to see everywhere could be monitored by a "jury" like random group of citizens.

haha

He said monitoring the internet. He said cameras in public places. He said tracking of data.

True, you did not say he supported pedos, that actually came from his reply. You pointed out how they caught a pedo. And caught someone attacking your family.

He did not say that public cameras were always bad, or could never have a place. He mentioned them as one part of a surveillance state. And now if you can find one example of the usefulness of a public camera, that invalidates concern about a surveillance state.

It is worth pointing out where public cameras can be useful. And where internet tracking can be useful. And where big data is useful (in many areas). And weighing these against how they can be abused. And discussing other surveillance (such as the example I raised about Assange having discussions with lawyers spied upon, and Weaponhead's discussion about facial recognition software used by authoritarian states).

If you wanted a genuine discussion about Quicksilver's discussion about a surveillance state.

Those who mentioned one aspect, in one line, about Quicksilver's mention of public cameras and then dismiss the whole discourse on that are being insincere.

I personally think we should have more surveillance. I'd like police to have cameras always on, obviously on (like with a glowing sign or something), and they are only allowed to perform their duties when they are on in such a fashion. I don't mind public cameras in every street.

I just don't trust politicians with that data. They will make a surveillance state if they can, as we have seen that politicians do whatever they can to stay in power.

If we have so much extra data about people now (and we do), I think we need to seriously consider another independent branch of the community that deals in recording and storing and giving out where needed, that data. Maybe the police cameras I would like to see everywhere could be monitored by a "jury" like random group of citizens.
They would not get past first two lines... they already n
Know everything

Eion

First Grade
Well, you have in the past tried more than one liners. But this thread seems to bring out your inner troll.

Have you a particular objection to what I said about Txtas post comparing ScoMos tactics to Hitler's?

For example:

Do you agree that Nazi Germany came from a democracy but Hitler (and others) perverted democratic processes to create an authoritarian state?

Do you agree that democracies can fail and can be undermined by parties and leaders to help them fail?

Do you think it is a problem if democratic states fail and become like Nazi Germany?

Do you think that undermining democracy carries a risk, as shown by Nazi Germany?

Which of these things do you have a problem with?

Is there any point in asking, or are you just going to post emojis?
Have you heard of Godwin’s law? Maybe you could have at least run with Pol Pot for some originality.

wibble

Bench
I know the full appalling story of t Nazism and it's origins.To equate the possibility of a similar situation arising in this country, when the situations and people who lead the country are so different in terms of value of human life for example, there is just no comparison.To suggest there is a correlation because of democracy being twisted or people in power make dumb decisions, is unfair.
When people are starving and out of work in numbers, they do desperate things,and any leader who promises' salvation" benefits.

I have not equated the similar situation arising in this country. It would take a lot of desperate things to happen. I've just said that the extent to which things are being done by politicians to destroy democracy is the extent to which they can be judged as performing the same activities that Nazis used to destroy their democracies. It is happy happenstance that other conditions mean they fail to retain power, undemocratically.

Every Government in this country (all elected democratically)has at one stage or another used their position and influence to underpin their support or keep things close to their chest.
Democratic elections are certainly no guarantee to throw up perfect politicians or indeed keeping their promises..
I suggest the press in this country is free ,to the stage, it has at times open slather ,even to the point of omitting facts,distorting facts or telling porkies.When they are caught out, you see a small retraction tucked away in some inconsequential section of the print media.
Only one outlet admitted Morrison never stated, fires enjoy their work, others ran with it.
Again today on ABC Insiders, once again ScoMo's Hawaii was brought up ,in an interview with Albo.

Any media organisation that allows Buzz to roam at will ,is a fair indication as to how journalistic levels have fallen in this country.

Yep, our governments fail us all the time. They try to erode democracy, so they can stay in power. And we push back against it (usually, eventually, when we are not being too partisan).

Why do we do this? Because we know from Hitler, that when democracies fail and become authoritarian, the consequences are terrible.

We know a free press, even a terrible one, is important, because otherwise things like the "Night of Long Knives" are reported as attempts to stop treason.

I'd like to think none of our politicians would take authoritative control over our democracy if, through a series of circumstances and their previous undemocratic "underpinning of their support", they were able to. And even if they did, I'd like to think they'd be better than Hitler (not a high bar). But we don't know those things, we can't judge them.

So we must instead be vigilant when politicians do erode democracy, and push back against it. We have to point out that Nazi Germany is what can happen when we don't push back, even if it might take other circumstances as well to happen. We can't just hope politicians given a chance to be authoritarian won't, or hope that when they erode democracy that the circumstances will prevent them destroying it. We have to make those circumstances that prevent politicians from become authoritarian, by pointing out that Nazi Germany happened when politicians in a democracy were allowed to undermine that democracy.

wibble

Bench
Have you heard of Godwin’s law? Maybe you could have at least run with Pol Pot for some originality.

Thanks one line troll. Another zinger.

I may just have heard of Godwin's law, given that it is raised in about twenty other threads on this site alone.

I didn't bring up Nazism, but anyway. I'm happy with Pol Pot as a cautionary tale about extreme ideologues (yes, left wing ones, I know) using revolutionary violence, or indeed about militias from opposing ideologies joining up and then betraying each other.

But Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge are not at all relevant to a discussion about failed democratic states, and how they come about.

Don't pretend you read it. It was more than two sentences.

I'm sure, like Defer, you will be unable to resist continuing to give me insightful and reasoned discussion. But if you do, I'll try to make it through my days.

Maybe I can just imagine people professing to be reasonable adults writing about killing teenage girls and sniping in with insincere slogans and ad hominem discourse, just so I don't feel left out.
Thats correct. Gretas a COAT

carcharias

Immortal
haha

So you agree with me.
Good
I knew I was right.

only an idiot would suggest they are a bad idea.

wibble

Bench
Thats correct. Gretas a COAT

I have no idea what a COAT is. I am sure it is a polite, well considered and compassionate term that shows the true depths of your humanity.

So you agree with me.
Good
I knew I was right.

only an idiot would suggest they are a bad idea.

Well, I don't know any idiots suggesting they are a bad idea.

However, I do in fact agree with you. And Quicksilver.

They are a good idea with good uses. They can be abused and turn us into a surveillance state.

haha
He said cameras in public places

nobody said he supported pedos.
Go read it again.

ive gave him plenty of examples why they are absolutely necessary.

Do you also think they are a bad idea?

Personally I like to think we in fortunate Western world have moved past the debate on cctv cameras in public places but if not .... so be it.. Also don't see where it becomes relevant in debate about the need to take tough decisions and regulations about man s contribution to CFCS

carcharias

Immortal
Only an idiot would say they’re unequivocally a good idea without any oversight or limitations on their use.

only an idiot would suggest they are a bad idea
You did.
Then you tried to back peddle when I pointed how f**king dumb your comment was.

As for internet tracking
What are you looking at the had you worried?

don’t do the wrong you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Ads

First Grade
If you’re really worried about being tracked then I hope you don’t use a smartphone. If you do then I’ve got bad news for you.

Eion

First Grade
Thanks one line troll. Another zinger.

I may just have heard of Godwin's law, given that it is raised in about twenty other threads on this site alone.

I didn't bring up Nazism, but anyway. I'm happy with Pol Pot as a cautionary tale about extreme ideologues (yes, left wing ones, I know) using revolutionary violence, or indeed about militias from opposing ideologies joining up and then betraying each other.

But Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge are not at all relevant to a discussion about failed democratic states, and how they come about.
You seem to get shitty when people don’t buy into your sanctimonious ramblings. I think it’s a ridiculous extreme example to compare against. And it is.

But go on, give us another dozen paragraphs no one will read on why you’re so clever. You’ll still be wrong.

wibble

Bench
Only an idiot would say they’re unequivocally a good idea without any oversight or limitations on their use.

Or, if you wanted to post an equivalent sort of argument to the ones being used against you, you could find an example (or a few) of public cameras being abused.

Like the cop who looked up vehicle registrations of men leaving a gay bar so he could blackmail the married ones for his silence.

Or the police who used similar footage to stalk women they were interested in.

Or the schools that broke guidelines about using cameras in their facilities- every single one of the 60 randomly selected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-breaks-strict-guidelines.html#ixzz2PTaqXytd

Or the intelligence officers that get bored and spy on people getting intimate

https://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/23/nsa-officers-sometimes-spy-on-love-interests/

And then you could ask people why they are in favour of authorities spying on people to stalk them, or breaking rules when spying on children, or spying on people having sex rather than what they are supposed to?

But that would not be a genuine way to discuss your point, so instead you tried to bring up other areas of surveillance to discuss. Trying to actually, you know, discuss.

wibble

Bench
You seem to get shitty when people don’t buy into your sanctimonious ramblings. I think it’s a ridiculous extreme example to compare against. And it is.

But go on, give us another dozen paragraphs no one will read on why you’re so clever. You’ll still be wrong.

I'm not getting shitty. I'm not the one piling in with half a dozen echo chamber buddies with complaints of "bed wetting" or "how long" posts are, or emojis.

I couldn't care less if you choose to not engage in discussion, clever or otherwise. You (and others) have chosen to keep the thread rumbling along with insincere discussion, and mockery of any genuine discussion.

Since some people are not doing this, I am enjoying discussing things with them.

If you think I'm wrong and that's it, no discussion needed, more power to you. You'll still have offered nothing to show why, but if you love what you're doing, I'm not one to yuck on your yum.

wibble

Bench
If you’re really worried about being tracked then I hope you don’t use a smartphone. If you do then I’ve got bad news for you.

Or use a computer, at work or at home.

Or drive, in a lot of cases now.

Or interact with most government and businesses. Especially banks. Don't pay for things with cards.

But the cat is out of the bag in terms of big data. We can't undo the data revolution.

But hopefully we can still discuss (as a society/world) how to keep big data relatively safe.