What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Vs The Roosters

OldPanther

Coach
You'd at least give him a run there in reserve grade or trial games, not against the back to back premiers. Is it possible one of the outside backs are in doubt? Or maybe Ivan is considering a little "workload management"

100%. I'm not sure if anyone has any niggling injuries in the backline needing managed like that through a game. Someone else might have a better idea.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep people are making this way more complicated then what it probably is. I think Api will play 80. Cleary likely just wants to cover the outside backs & picked the next in line. He obviously thinks the pack has the fitness to allow a back on the bench, much like when Hook hardly used/needed his 4th bench spot.
We have Isaah Yeo able to shift into the centres mid-game should we need a back. Naden or Whare to wing. Naden to fullback.

Hooker/halves are the only positions in the team we can't cover should injury occur. If Burton were on the bench we could cover injury to any position.

The more you think about it. Burton has to be in the final team either at half or utility. Crichton offers nothing off the bench. So start him and drop Mansour or Whare. Or even Aekins. No doubt Crichton has to play. The same can't besaid for those guys.

hindy111

Post Whore
Ain't saying its right, its just a trend.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/10/round-1-nrl-team-lists/

Brad Takairangi
Kerrod Holland
Michael Oldfield
Brian Kelly
Jamayne Issako
Alex Johnston
Stephen Crichton

At a glance I count 7 outside backs, almost half the teams in the competition. Some like Takairangi have the frame to play back row. I'd still agree 9/spine cover is more important. Its easier to find a backrower/centre than a backrower/hooker so guys like May are more ideal.

In a way I prefer it because it means Luai will actually get 80 minutes. Debate on the 6 aside I think the spine shouldn't be f**ked with, they can all play 80 minutes. Korisau has no competition for his spot this weekend and any first grade hooker of his experience should be able to get through a full game.

I'd argue Taka as he covers centre,5/8, wing and 2nd row. And most suited nowdays as a 2nd rower.
Holland has been training at hooker.

Strong side and I like Hethrington off bench. I always wanted the Eels to take a punt on this kid. I saw something in him.

I don't think there is a need to rush some of the young guys like Crighton. Come rnd 4 or 5 maybe throw them in.

TheFrog

Coach
We have Isaah Yeo able to shift into the centres mid-game should we need a back.
As an emergency measure he's barely adequate as a centre. Like Angus Crichton (who we will surely target) he can probably still motor but it is in defence he would be exposed. Happened numerous times last year.

martielang

Bench
Api hasn’t played a full game for about 2 years. I doubt he goes straight to a full game prob 60mins or so.

That’s only likely because Manly had a similar or better quality Hooker coming off the bench who commanded time as well. It doesn’t mean Api doesn’t have the motor to play 80 imo.

mxlegend99

Referee
As an emergency measure he's barely adequate as a centre. Like Angus Crichton (who we will surely target) he can probably still motor but it is in defence he would be exposed. Happened numerous times last year.
Last year out of shape with only one arm he was still a hell of a lot better defensively than Naden.

But the point was we have an option in the team with both the ability and experience to shift to centre should we need it. Two actually as Luai can cover centre too. Assuming we had an able replacement on bench to move him.

Burton/Luai gives us an option to cover every position. Crichton leaves us with no options in the halves or at hooker. But hey they're only the most important positions on the field.

OldPanther

Coach
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kilkenny

Coach
I cant see Stephen Chrichton playing off the bench. He either starts or doesn’t play at all. Surely Burton would be a better 14 and if Api does need a break Laui can play dummy half for 10 or 15.

Latest posts