What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Remember even some young healthy people will cop it bad. A regular old influenza A season will have a very small amount of healthy people get a bad one. This is more virulent.

We just don't want to overload the system if possible. That's why we should play it safe

Knight76

Juniors
At the moment in this country, the virus is mainly spreading via people arriving back from overseas, or people coming in contact with those people. Which is why we haven't seen bans on public gatherings yet etc.

Which is why at the moment, even if you have cold symptoms etc, they are not recommending you get tested unless you have been overseas, or in contact with someone returning from overseas etc.

Once the virus takes off and is spreading within the community freely, through people that are not in the category above, the gov will take the measure to ban public gatherings to attempt to slow the spread and get it under control. How long those bans last for is anyones guess.

But, there are going to be people who get a sick with covid19, but don't get themselves tested as their symptoms will be mild, or they get tested and told they have it, but can't afford to take time off work, casuals etc, and just keep working anyway.

The virus is going to be very hard to contain.

Pommy

Coach
Remember even some young healthy people will cop it bad. A regular old influenza A season will have a very small amount of healthy people get a bad one. This is more virulent.

We just don't want to overload the system if possible. That's why we should play it safe

I ended up on Aldershot military ward with swine flu, I was the fittest I have ever been in my life and it was horrific.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment in this country, the virus is mainly spreading via people arriving back from overseas, or people coming in contact with those people. Which is why we haven't seen bans on public gatherings yet etc.

Eelectrica

Referee
I still haven't booked tickets to the Eels Titans game. Just seeing how things play out over the next few days before doing so.

I notice the Download music festival is going ahead next weekend so that could be an interesting aftermath...

Knight76

Juniors
With the NBA suspending the season I think it’s just a matter of time until we see similar in the NRL. A lot of people were laughing at this prospect a week or so ago, not laughing now I bet.

Lol yeah.

What say you Timnah? Still laughing funny man?

Ajb1102 - I reckon your less worried about my toilet paper stocks and more worried that you have enough by now!

With the NBA suspending the season I think it’s just a matter of time until we see similar in the NRL. A lot of people were laughing at this prospect a week or so ago, not laughing now I bet.

i think you’re right there. I live in Adelaide and they are all in a pink fit about the same in AFL.

While I think it would be disastrous for the NRL if it happened, it would decimate AFL worse as they rely on their crowds. theyve also had a player suspected of having it undergo tests..

Meth

Staff member
Serious question though- if they're worried about crowds gathering, why not just have the games (with medical screening on players and TV crew) in empty stadiums? There'd be a lot of people at home wanting something to watch.

Also, Titans matches can probably just go ahead as planned.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Serious question though- if they're worried about crowds gathering, why not just have the games (with medical screening on players and TV crew) in empty stadiums? There'd be a lot of people at home wanting something to watch.

It all depends on what precautions the government chooses to take. Morrison claims that they have been treating this thing like a pandemic from the beginning, and our stats are some of the lowest in the world, and our numbers were top heavy on the Diamond Princess, so he seems to be telling the truth.

What concerns me is today. Something was different about today, like we might be seeing the beginning of this thing really taking off in disruption of everyday life. The NBA's positive test and cancellation is in particular a HUGE bit of news, because there is literally billions of dollars in sponsorship and TV deals wrapped in the NBA, so if they are doing this now, then shit is really about to hit the fan, especially in America, where the Trump cronies have made a predictable and absolute meal of containment measures. His bizarre and sudden appearance on TV to speak to the country which scared the shit out of everyone even though all he did was babble nonsense, and then the Tom Hanks news, which is the more personal bit of news that will sledgehammer down any doubts left the rank and file had about whether this virus was a real threat or not. Now they will be washing their hands more regularly you can bet your life on that. The evidence of a legit big f**king deal is really starting to pile up now.

Billythekid

First Grade

That’s likely what the will do. The problem occurs when you start having players test positive especially when you consider how much travelling they do.