What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COVID-19

Probably the only thing to do is introduce work from home except for essential services and trips.

Mandatory testing for every single person in the country.

Kids are transmitters and until otherwise advised, segregate them, so they only meet classmates, so theres some thread of recourse.

I hear what the pm is saying, but this thing grows exponentially.

No organised sports of any kind, pay cuts rationing etc.

With a bit of luck, just one or two years of hardship. It depends on a vaccine etc.

They say there will be a vaccine which is better than not.

The measures are not strong enough I think. I am not saying panic, no way, but we should be hard core.

A year living differently.

How many people are going to work now though. I'd like to think the NRL season can go ahead. I think the players should be safe as they are not a high risk demographic. I just wonder about how the players interaction with the wider community will work.

It can’t work.

There’s no “social distancing opportunity” in the game.

One infected truck driver delivering mouth guards to the front gate of the isolation complex can infect the whole league.

And no one will know for weeks.

Having all the players in one spot is shocking for an outbreak.

The more excuses the nrl makes to play, the more bad messaging and risk to people.

cerberus

Coach
It can’t work.

There’s no “social distancing opportunity” in the game.

One infected truck driver delivering mouth guards to the front gate of the isolation complex can infect the whole league.

And no one will know for weeks.

Having all the players in one spot is shocking for an outbreak.

The more excuses the nrl makes to play, the more bad messaging and risk to people.

it just doesn't compare to shopping roulette . are we up to shop assists in pressure suits ?

ps i got tp

s-l640.jpg

cerberus

Coach
Home delivery will become popular. Robotics might be the answer for some things.

I’ve always thought a robot could replace me in a bank queue.
my missus cant get coles to deliver to a child care .
unless your crippled you got no hope.

i heard amazon are hiring thousands of people

my missus cant get coles to deliver to a child care .
unless your crippled you got no hope.

i heard amazon are hiring thousands of people

Yes, Uber eats etc. All that will take off.

A lot of people are troubled and anxious, and we must take every single precaution.

Things are going to change for quite awhile but from everything I’ve heard, we will eventually get it all back together.

Back in early 1990s the economy was smashed to pieces, but it came back with a vengeance.

Try and stay healthy, eat well and exercise.

That will put less pressure on the health people.

As an optimist at heart, as bad as it is, it is not wiping out everyone who gets it, not at all. But as the pm said, each one of us has to chip in and take responsibility.

There’s a lot of people to help and we can do it easily if we think about it.

Front-Rower

First Grade
How many people are going to work now though. I'm not at work and I can video conference people who are at work and there looked to be a lot less people in the office. One girl in my team is at work and concerned but she also said public transport was extremely quiet.

I'd like to think the NRL season can go ahead. I think the players should be safe as they are not a high risk demographic. I just wonder about how the players interaction with the wider community will work.

A lot more than you think. Keep looking down from that ivory tower pal. A bit hard to dig a ditch, cut lawns, clean, run a production line, drive trucks from Skype

Tiger05

First Grade
A lot more than you think. Keep looking down from that ivory tower pal. A bit hard to dig a ditch, cut lawns, clean, run a production line, drive trucks from Skype

I get it. I just spoke to my jiu-jitsu instructor. You want to go down to the gym and wrestle right now ? Some small businesses are going to be in big trouble.

I also just had a package delivered and I spoke to the delivery guy. You don't sign now for your package and you keep your distance. He also has to go outside to work. I'm not trying to knock you but those activities you mentioned can probably be managed via social-distancing. I'm at this point intending to go into work next week. On the other thread store assistants were mentioned. I also mentioned health care workers.

Lots of places, courts and goverment places are reviewing options and closing down.

Despite the pms idea, schools and unis will have to close. They may have to introduce half school days or alternate days or something. Use tech.

They can be creative. All rules and regs under review by necessity not revolution.

Back in the day, the world belonged to people seeking change and questioning.

Ask @axl rose, judging by his posts, he is ready for anything!

The day of the unthinking societal lemming, the stunned mullet, after 25 years, is coming to a close. That’s not the worst thing.

stryker

First Grade
Leaving schools open is doing nothing more than giving the virus more pathways to spread. The reports that the young are barely affected only amplifies the problem as they will unwittingly help this shit spread faster than the drought conditions helped the summer bushfires explode.

Lockdown is the only answer, no matter how painful, otherwise we will still be fighting this off many months into the future.

Leaving schools open is doing nothing more than giving the virus more pathways to spread. The reports that the young are barely affected only amplifies the problem as they will unwittingly help this shit spread faster than the drought conditions helped the summer bushfires explode.

Lockdown is the only answer, no matter how painful, otherwise we will still be fighting this off many months into the future.

Yes. They were discussing it on the abc this morning.

If we don’t go hard ball now, all that happens is that it can calm down a bit and then suddenly flare up again and infect more people.

The government is just going to have to deploy every pre-checked healthy worker, armed forces etc to be couriers and deliver rations and medicines. Wear plastic suits, Dump stuff in front of doors. The abc is going to have to pump out co vid updates 24/7.

Special co vid licences under very strict surveillance and testing regimes with limited contact for doctors and essential services.

No sport, no leaving home without a licence or face arrest.

Say two or three months of it- more if needed- we may have it beat and save hundreds or thousands of lives.

The economy, if we fix this up properly, we will have every wealthy dickhead in the world spending their two weeks in isolation on Xmas island and living and investing here.

Just as the well the greens aren’t in charge. We’d be smoking weed and meditating our way through it. Water diviner’s testing people for co vid.

If we have to give up all of our freedoms for a short time in our lives, to save our fellow poster, so be it.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
There is no stopping this virus, doesn't matter how long you self-isolate, how much care you take, eventually the vast majority of people will get it. Given the data from South Korea (where everyone is being tested), the mortality rate is closer to 0.5%, and many people have it and beat it without even realizing they had it.

The issue the world faces is that people are getting infected, its that everyone is getting infected quickly at the same time. The pressure this puts on the health care system can be genuinely catastrophic, hence the idea of "flattening the curve" - same amount of people will get infected but spread over time so that the health care systems can cope. If we had unlimited hospital beds and robot doctors then none of these measures would be necessary apart from the elderly and chronically ill.

Given that China has already shown to be flattening the curve, 4 months since the very beginning of the outbreak, I don't think its unreasonable to think the world could be past the worst of this within the next 3-6 months. People will still be getting the virus but it will be at such a low rate it will no longer be considered a pandemic. There is every chance that the virus flares up again, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a vaccine by then.

As for NRL, I don't see any issues just playing on without crowds for the year, but what happens when a player eventually gets the virus (its a matter of WHEN not IF) is another story. If it were up to me I'd isolate that player, test everyone at the club, and if nobody else was infected I'd just keep playing. There will be a huge level of backlash but what's the alternative? Postpone the game for 6 months is basically the season and will kill the NRL, maybe for good

Tiger05

First Grade
There is no stopping this virus, doesn't matter how long you self-isolate, how much care you take, eventually the vast majority of people will get it. Given the data from South Korea (where everyone is being tested), the mortality rate is closer to 0.5%, and many people have it and beat it without even realizing they had it.

I basically agree but I'm an optimist. I'd also add though that the recorded mortality rate is more like 4% at this time.
apart from the elderly and chronically ill.

This is the problem I have with that approach - what about high risk demographics. The thing is younger people will die as well. It's unlikely but it's already happened.
Given that China has already shown to be flattening the curve, 4 months since the very beginning of the outbreak

If we trust the figures plus they have put in pretty strict controls. I'm not sure if we can do this.
what happens when a player eventually gets the virus (its a matter of WHEN not IF) is another story. If it were up to me I'd isolate that player, test everyone at the club, and if nobody else was infected I'd just keep playing. There will be a huge level of backlash but what's the alternative? Postpone the game for 6 months is basically the season and will kill the NRL, maybe for good
The problem with going ahead now is that we have to come up with an approach in relation to how to handle the situation when a player gets the virus. What if you get the virus and you are asymptomatic and about to play in the finals ?

I basically agree but I'm an optimist. I'd also add though that the recorded mortality rate is more like 4% at this time
The 4% is no doubt worldwide, Italy was 8% on Tuesday, that's in an ageing population, the U.S.A was 1.7%.. According to businessinsider.com.au say that
Generally, the death rate seems to decrease as more people are tested and cases are confirmed.
so there's a positive.

In the 2019/2- northern hemisphere winter, there were an estimated 1 billion FLU cases worldwide and 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

With 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide and 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

It's the unknown and the uncertainty that gets us all, spawned by the useless press (and we thought the NRL press were bad). It's only a little example but Ray Hadley was saying this morning that Qantas will stop flying into Australia from 9 tonight when in fact it is non-residents who cannot come in. It's minor but it causes harm and uncertainty to those families who still have family on their way home after 9 tonight. A mate of mine has a daughter who flew out of Oz this morning on Qantas (as a flight attendant), so they a still flying.

simmo05

Bench
The 4% is no doubt worldwide, Italy was 8% on Tuesday, that's in an ageing population, the U.S.A was 1.7%.. According to businessinsider.com.au say that so there's a positive.

In the 2019/2- northern hemisphere winter, there were an estimated 1 billion FLU cases worldwide and 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

With 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide and 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

It's the unknown and the uncertainty that gets us all, spawned by the useless press (and we thought the NRL press were bad). It's only a little example but Ray Hadley was saying this morning that Qantas will stop flying into Australia from 9 tonight when in fact it is non-residents who cannot come in. It's minor but it causes harm and uncertainty to those families who still have family on their way home after 9 tonight. A mate of mine has a daughter who flew out of Oz this morning on Qantas (as a flight attendant), so they a still flying.
Had the government shut international travel down last month when everyone way saying to do so, this would not be happening. Now we have shut down international travel, domestic travel is massively down, and whole f**king states are now closing themselves off. The whole economy is about to go off a cliff, because that God bothering merkin didn't chose the hard option from the outset. The virus is nothing compared to what is about to happen. How many people in hospitality, retail, child care, teachers ( when schools close ), taxis, the arts, public transport etc are going to be unemployed? All these people most likely rent. How many landlords are going to lose their properties? How many home owners? How many bars and restaurants and retail shops will close? When they go the banks will follow.
This is not going to just be hard times, if they insist on closing everything, this is going to be some great depression shit. Hope I'm wrong though. But this is why the government is trying to keep everything going that is able to.

There’s a lot of troublesome media, a lot of hysteria but also carelessness.

It’s all good in hindsight, but who failed to call the pandemic as early as they might have. I’m not sure if they had the correct figures from Wuhan. and if I recall correctly, the Australian government took advice and that advice was following who.

So to some extent the thing starts with misinformation or dereliction of some some kind and we get what we get.

The only state that seems to have a handle on the seriousness of it is Queensland reading the soft riot act and warming people up to harder laws.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see our states putting up borders at some stage.

I can’t see any other way but harsh lock down at some point.

It’s bad seeing players risking their health playing footy. Many players are going to catch it under our limp wristed existing self-control regime.

Latest posts