What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COVID-19

simmo05

Bench
There’s a lot of troublesome media, a lot of hysteria but also carelessness.

It’s all good in hindsight, but who failed to call the pandemic as early as they might have. I’m not sure if they had the correct figures from Wuhan. and if I recall correctly, the Australian government took advice and that advice was following who.

So to some extent the thing starts with misinformation or dereliction of some some kind and we get what we get.

The only state that seems to have a handle on the seriousness of it is Queensland reading the soft riot act and warming people up to harder laws.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see our states putting up borders at some stage.

I can’t see any other way but harsh lock down at some point.

It’s bad seeing players risking their health playing footy. Many players are going to catch it under our limp wristed existing self-control regime.
I disagree. If the players, and the club, believe that their livelihood is at stake, both short and long term, and they take the quarantine shit seriously, they can play on. If they are going to treat it as a joke, well you reap what you sow. But being mainly young dudes, I reckon some merkin will go out for some late night snatch and get the whole thing shut down

WA Tiger

Bench
Had the government shut international travel down last month when everyone way saying to do so, this would not be happening. Now we have shut down international travel, domestic travel is massively down, and whole f**king states are now closing themselves off. The whole economy is about to go off a cliff, because that God bothering merkin didn't chose the hard option from the outset. The virus is nothing compared to what is about to happen. How many people in hospitality, retail, child care, teachers ( when schools close ), taxis, the arts, public transport etc are going to be unemployed? All these people most likely rent. How many landlords are going to lose their properties? How many home owners? How many bars and restaurants and retail shops will close? When they go the banks will follow.
This is not going to just be hard times, if they insist on closing everything, this is going to be some great depression shit. Hope I'm wrong though. But this is why the government is trying to keep everything going that is able to.
At least it’s wiped that stupid cocky smirk off Morrison’s face he’s had since he slimed his way into being PM..coz he realises now he has to be a real man / leader and what people think of him is secondary..

WA Tiger

Bench
If all the borders are shut down then trade is affected and the availability of food etc is going to be much worse and it’s just going to be a major pain in every way ..This would affect the economy massively..If schools are shut down then parents that are health care workers are going to have to stay home to look after the kids as are many other parents that can’t afford child care and more grand parents are going to be in contact with the potentially sick kids and the livelihoods of teachers cleaners etc etc are going to go down the tube..and kids are apparently safer in the confines of the school than out and about ...that’s the one I’ll be interested to see if they shut down..England has done it..but yes I think the season can keep going as is ..but shit I remember when I was young (early 20’s) and good looking as we all were and all the energy in the world and imagining having the money and recognition that these guys have it would be hard for the young bucks to keep away from the social scene..prob the best thing for a lot of them

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
If they put all 16 clubs in the same resort I wouldnt want to be a woman working there.
Because of all the raping.

Morrison fell into it as a compromise candidate due to the ongoing fight between the left and right of the liberal party.

He can have his faith if he wants to, just don’t discriminate a la Israel.

Leaving it to people to self regulate is the danger I guess, because people aren’t so good at that. You have to offer people incentives as well as wave the big stick.

Where are people getting the virus? We should know what places to avoid. Not foolproof, but may help. Some suburbs may be more prone to others. If there are many cases in one area, total lockdown of that area.

Masks do help stop the disease as if you have it and don’t know, as it will cut down the amount of virus droplets you are breathing out in terms of their transmission in the air. Less distance. They will escape, but less distance. It’s just a bit safer if we all have masks. Plus you avoid touching your mouth with a mask.

Common items such as bleach kill it. It only lives so long on surfaces and that varies with type of surface. Going to the atm? gloves are probably a good idea. Check your temp three times a day.

Maybe a rule of thumb is go two or times harder than what the experts say. The idea is to delay new cases so the health system can cope with the more seriously effected.

Just some good news, while the number infected has climbed rapidly, the number passing away appears to be diminishing, so all things being equal, that’s quite a positive. I’d put that down to very committed medical people and wise use of resources. Ultimately, it’s a product of a universal health system that many enlightened educated and righteous people fought for many years to maintain.

If one is moaning about the woes of oneself, think of being handicapped and disabled 24/7. People are still suffering and dying who haven’t got it and will never get it. If we are here, tapping away, in no pain etc, we are going ok.

Last edited:
Some brighter news:-

I am bringing down my death estimates because it was pointed out to me that many people just go through it without realising it, so if the govt says 1000 have got it, well it’s probably a heap more, but the death rate has remained static.

There’s some Facebook horders page someone showed me. It’s become an addiction for some. They get a mongrel over 14 packets of dried soup. Ffs losers. They should be arrested for being losers I say. Food put back on the shelves for punishment.

Almost every dietician on planet earth thinks we should be eating way less anyway.

The government should also release names and addresses of known cases so we can stay away from their area for a month or so. Then again, some lunatic will drive past and throw rocks at them.

One of multiple sisters works for local council. Someone broke into the childcare centre and stole the kids toilet papers, wipes etc. if they get caught ( likely) they will go to gaol. The staff are very pissed off but in this age of zombie apocalypse, some just laughed at the frailty of people. No books or other valuables stolen. Ffs strange days indeed.

Speaking of gaol, shout out to correctives staff and I guess, the inmates who have been doing a good job keeping these confined places free of the bastard.

I can work from home, but If I stay here, probably nothing will get done as I’ll be wasting my time here and on line and with my garage mechanic folly.

There’s really nothing like radiator and a.c problems to figure out. My mechanic left the car a mess last time. Bits all over the cabin, the fan rolling around the floor, I felt at home. So much for women being neat and tidy.

Last edited:

Phil Gould

Juniors
I read somewhere that even though this virus is highly contagious the infection rates are a lot lower than they should be in some places. Maybe most people have a either a natural immunity or show little to no symptoms based on genetic makeup. This may be a part of the reason why certain countries seem to be hit harder than others. Compare India with Italy, for example. Or maybe it’s just the weather?

stryker

First Grade
Great leadership shown recently by the AFL.

Whilst the NRL ran a full round last week in front of crowded stadiums, the AFL played round one behind closed doors. Whilst the NRL relented to play round two behind closed doors, the AFL have decided to shut down their comp for at least 2 months before round one even finished. The NRL responded by defiantly claiming they will be playing on until told to stop.

So what we have here is the difference between not just two codes, but two groups in society. The AFL is white collar. The players mostly educated and articulate. The administration are generally proactive. The NRL is blue collar. The players are not known for their brains and the administration is on the whole reactive. The AFL have stood up like men and announced their decision on their own terms, acknowledging the destructive nature of said decision. The NRL are petulantly denying and twisting advice to suit their agenda, all the while demanding cash injections from the government. They are literally going to force the government to drag them, kicking and screaming like bitches, into joining the rest of the country's sporting organisations in postponement/shutdown of the season.

They are being selfish, greedy and reckless and it is all going to end in embarrassment.

I read somewhere that even though this virus is highly contagious the infection rates are a lot lower than they should be in some places. Maybe most people have a either a natural immunity or show little to no symptoms based on genetic makeup. This may be a part of the reason why certain countries seem to be hit harder than others. Compare India with Italy, for example. Or maybe it’s just the weather?
Great leadership shown recently by the AFL.

Whilst the NRL ran a full round last week in front of crowded stadiums, the AFL played round one behind closed doors. Whilst the NRL relented to play round two behind closed doors, the AFL have decided to shut down their comp for at least 2 months before round one even finished. The NRL responded by defiantly claiming they will be playing on until told to stop.

So what we have here is the difference between not just two codes, but two groups in society. The AFL is white collar. The players mostly educated and articulate. The administration are generally proactive. The NRL is blue collar. The players are not known for their brains and the administration is on the whole reactive. The AFL have stood up like men and announced their decision on their own terms, acknowledging the destructive nature of said decision. The NRL are petulantly denying and twisting advice to suit their agenda, all the while demanding cash injections from the government. They are literally going to force the government to drag them, kicking and screaming like bitches, into joining the rest of the country's sporting organisations in postponement/shutdown of the season.

They are being selfish, greedy and reckless and it is all going to end in embarrassment.

I agree.

I’m not sure if it as class based over the thirst for cash/resources and trying to move product. Perhaps both. There’s a Darwinian feel about it.

The nrl are completely irresponsible and this decision makes me feel like throwing in the game.

All of the advice is on social distancing, governments deploying coercive means to enforce it and then we see players involved in the one of the most contact laden games in the world. All of the coaches supporting it makes me think I could coach at nrl level if this is the standard of aforethought.

Have a look at the who website. This 4 metre stuff distance is fine and dandy except when you realise the micro particles are very light and the tests show they can fly some distance.

The nrl cares f**k all for public health, they are genuinely insane if they they think isolating players and some officials will stop the virus spreading in the game.

But it’s not just insanity, its grossly negligent and it may cost lives.

Read the world news, doctors are in meltdown about tougher measures to prevent the spread.

Private planes lol, the virus loves airports, it loves buses, are they going to sleep in tents?!

Last edited:

The unknown

Juniors
I honestly think the NRL will fold or a mass extinction of a few select teams. There’s no other reason (other than greed I guess) to keep going, and now they’re trying to get special permission to fly into QLD borders after the announcement of a complete shutdown

They predict US will be the new epicentre in a week or two nudging 30k cases atm. Crazy times

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
I honestly think the NRL will fold or a mass extinction of a few select teams. There’s no other reason (other than greed I guess) to keep going, and now they’re trying to get special permission to fly into QLD borders after the announcement of a complete shutdown

They predict US will be the new epicentre in a week or two nudging 30k cases atm. Crazy times

The nrl knows it will go broke if it doesn't play till at least April 1st as tv money is paid in advance. If they can go till just after that date they get the next installment and can maybe save the game. To be fair though it's not just Greenberg etc that are selfish. Damian Cook did an article where he says he doesn't want to be isolated from famiyl for more than two weeks.
But i bet he will go ape shit if they reduce his pay. Talk to the Warriors players who won't see family for at least two weeks no matter what happens. So suck it up or find other work champ.

Vozzy

Juniors
I think instead of trying to save this season just scrap it and work towards a better 2021 season for all clubs possible.

This is probably going to lead to a lot of clubs going broke. If say half of them have to fold the best thing to do when ever sport can restart is to make it more national.

They say is may take 18 months just to maybe find a cure this is the concerning thing.

Anyway stay safe everyone we know tiger fans are already strong minded but have stuck solid over the years.