What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

flippikat

Bench
Not quite Firehawks, but my local top-tier cricket team has this logo..

Cu6JW8atFrgSvk8wJFU3NXm5RmpJ7ijipGbBDLBL10MegGAgp75dbnZuXdhyQZxqDby5KDKqQhOoeSnyAUcQnr2ReLJns1zZ_2pqscNqZNfhoT79a1r7PKU6g_YLJG0IIbEFbxYVUg=w384-h384

flippikat

Bench

This may be just speculation, but it looks a pretty safe bet that orange will be a big part of the bid colours, given it's a common feature in firehawks/firebirds teams and the Brisbane Easts (Tigers) heritage.. and black as well, I would imagine.

The big question I ponder is whether they'd add a third colour in their club/jersey palette - to distinguish themselves from Wests Tigers and the Qld Cup East Brisbane team - and what *that* could be.

Similar situation with a Redcliffe bid - as speculated on before - whether they'd add a 3rd colour to their traditional red and white strip to distinguish from the Dragons and the Redcliffe Qld Cup team.

The obvious parallel in AFL being Port Adelaide adding teal to their traditional SA AFL Magpie colours in the top tier competition.

jim_57

Staff member
This may be just speculation, but it looks a pretty safe bet that orange will be a big part of the bid colours, given it's a common feature in firehawks/firebirds teams and the Brisbane Easts (Tigers) heritage.. and black as well, I would imagine.

The big question I ponder is whether they'd add a third colour in their club/jersey palette - to distinguish themselves from Wests Tigers and the Qld Cup East Brisbane team - and what *that* could be.

Similar situation with a Redcliffe bid - as speculated on before - whether they'd add a 3rd colour to their traditional red and white strip to distinguish from the Dragons and the Redcliffe Qld Cup team.

The obvious parallel in AFL being Port Adelaide adding teal to their traditional SA AFL Magpie colours in the top tier competition.

Not sure how it would look but maybe brown for the hawk.

That or they could just pick their own colours, plenty of teams whose colours don't match their moniker.

greenBV4

Bench
Not sure how it would look but maybe brown for the hawk.

That or they could just pick their own colours, plenty of teams whose colours don't match their moniker.
might be stepping into hawthorn territory a bit there with orange + brown and a hawk based moniker

yellow (or red), orange and black could be good, as long as its not actual flames on the jersey

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I quite like the Firehawks, although as others have posted I do worry about some awful flame designed jerseys.

With so much focus on the big bash, I wonder if Brisbane could get away with using the Bulls. Although the QLD Cricket team do use it, they are referred to only as Queensland for the Sheffield Shield and the one day comp is basically irrelevant.

I think Brisbane Bulls would be another good option. Similar if Adelaide ever get a team, I really like the Adelaide Redbacks.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Firehawk.png
Maybe something incorporating a look like this/colour scheme but more orange in the jersey. Rather than a phoenix looking bird that could have it look like a hawk with some kind of flame in the background or carrying a flaming stick in it's tallons.

T-Boon

Coach
I initially did not like FIrehawks but having looked into what firehawks are I like it a lot.

For those that don't know 40k years of Aboriginal observation suggests that Falcons and Kites spread fire to hunt by picking up burning sticks and dropping the stick into bush to start a new fire they then wait for fleeing reptiles and scoff on. This is pretty cool.

greenBV4

Bench
I initially did not like FIrehawks but having looked into what firehawks are I like it a lot.

For those that don't know 40k years of Aboriginal observation suggests that Falcons and Kites spread fire to hunt by picking up burning sticks and dropping the stick into bush to start a new fire they then wait for fleeing reptiles and scoff on. This is pretty cool.
Im in the same boat, wasn't a fan, learnt what it was, and now it has grown on me
Have East Tigers come out publicly and actually said firehawks is the name they want to go with for their bid?

Last edited:

steeden.

Juniors
Last edited:

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I don't know if its just me but I'm not a fan of the"Brisbane" name.

I've got nothing against having a 2nd Brisbane team but we already have Brisbane which sounds obvious

Unless you put East, North, South, West or have a different name like Logan, Redcliffe, Ipswich, having 2 teams with the same name is a bit Americanised.

I agree - not a fan of another generic 'Brisbane'. RL is different but we've seen in the A-league that having the same name has hindered Melbourne Heart/City.

I don't know Brisbane (the city) or Easts enough to suggest an alternative though. 'South Qld is one though with a bit of history. Although one of failure...

I think we are going well on the branding front though.
- Firehawks
- Jets
- Dolphins

All strong there. I think Brisbane 'could' support all 4 (plus Broncos) no worse than Sydney supports it's current teams. But that would be at the expense of other important markets like Perth/Adelaide/Wellington

Pippen94

First Grade
I agree - not a fan of another generic 'Brisbane'. RL is different but we've seen in the A-league that having the same name has hindered Melbourne Heart/City.

I don't know Brisbane (the city) or Easts enough to suggest an alternative though. 'South Qld is one though with a bit of history. Although one of failure...

- Firehawks
- Jets
- Dolphins

All strong there. I think Brisbane 'could' support all 4 (plus Broncos) no worse than Sydney supports it's current teams. But that would be at the expense of other important markets like Perth/Adelaide/Wellington
More ppl in Brisbane will watch & attend league then all those places. These teams won't need propping up

flippikat

Bench

- Firehawks
- Jets
- Dolphins

Cut the Sydney teams back to 6, and you could have 4 Brisbane teams plus Auckland, Newcastle, Townsville, Melbourne, GC, Canberra, Perth and Adelaide in an 18 team competition.

Add Wellington & Central Coast and you have 20 teams.

Food for thought.