What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

I wouldn't mind the NRL building to 5 QLD clubs over the next 20 - 30 years.

North QLD Cowboys
Redcliffe Dolphins (North Brisbane and Sunshine Coast)
Brisbane Broncos (Brisbane city team)
Ipswich Jets (Ipswich and West Brisbane)
Gold Coast Bears (Gold Coast and Northern NSW)*

*Bears would be a merge between North Sydney and the iconic QLD Cup team the Burleigh Bears. This would bring the bears back to the NRL and create a club encompassing the region's two QLD Cup teams (North Sydney currently own the Tweed Seagulls leagues club) with a foundation NSW Cup team.

That would be QLD sorted for me at the top level of the game.
What if the Seagulls reunited with Fortitude Valley to become the Gold Coast Diehards, with their logo being similar to the one used by the Gold Coast Vikings and Fortitude Valley Diehards?

Attachments

• 757BF295-2D78-4F76-B8D7-5130729389C3.jpeg
    757BF295-2D78-4F76-B8D7-5130729389C3.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 0095D267-F03B-4AF0-A288-BA6D2A9B7ED1.jpeg
    0095D267-F03B-4AF0-A288-BA6D2A9B7ED1.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 74072627-0928-42D7-B17B-0ADDBC86C782.jpeg
    74072627-0928-42D7-B17B-0ADDBC86C782.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 7

blue bags

First Grade
Australian white ibis is commonly seen around Brisbane, Logan, Redland City. They're quite tame too, willingly walking up to people.
ibis are all around sydney, in the suburbs , everywhere, bin chickens , but protected by law
I reckon there should be at least 2 or 3 clubs with BRL identities. It allows the clubs to have an established fan base and culture that resonates with the people. There's too many unknowns in creating a new brand like Bombers or Titans.

My teams would be East Coast Seagulls to cover the east, Brisbane Devils and Moreton Bay Dolphins. Seagulls could be a merger between Wynnum and Tweed Heads, who were part of a merger with Valleys in 88/89 and won both premierships.

I would really like a Brisbane Devils team to unite Wests, Souths, Easts and Norths so it can cover all of Brisbane. They would use the Devils name of Norths as it's the only one of the four clubs that isn't tied to a Sydney team. Base them at Coorparoo.

These 3 clubs would shake things up and turn the Donkeys into also rans.
i like both , seagulls, devils

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What if the Seagulls reunited with Fortitude Valley to become the Gold Coast Diehards, with their logo being similar to the one used by the Gold Coast Vikings and Fortitude Valley Diehards?

I'd be happy to any sort of nod to the old BRL as long as the bid viable and can get itself on a footing to compete with the Broncos. If they are the poor cousin of the Broncos from the get go, they and any potential rivalry will be dead in the water.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I'd be happy to any sort of nod to the old BRL as long as the bid viable and can get itself on a footing to compete with the Broncos. If they are the poor cousin of the Broncos from the get go, they and any potential rivalry will be dead in the water.
I don't know so much about that. When the Cowboys came in they were initially painted as the "Bronco's little brother" but they took on that persona and turned it into the tough, country battler-style image which I think helped them a lot. Being the "poor cousin" isn't always a bad thing if you know how to twist it. The Us Vs Them mentality and getting one over the more fancied and higher profile Broncos. Plus people in Australia love an underdog.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't know so much about that. When the Cowboys came in they were initially painted as the "Bronco's little brother" but they took on that persona and turned it into the tough, country battler-style image which I think helped them a lot. Being the "poor cousin" isn't always a bad thing if you know how to twist it. The Us Vs Them mentality and getting one over the more fancied and higher profile Broncos. Plus people in Australia love an underdog.

I take your point and a marketing angle like that can be useful, but Townsville is its own market. This new team will be competing head-to-head with the Broncos in the Brisbane market. Finances are a must in addition to a marketing angle that will get non-Bronco RL fans on board. The Broncos are the largest RL club in the world, any plan to take them on that doesn't involve deep pockets will struggle.

greenBV4

Bench
Yeah i think although a new Brisbane team needs to have its shit together operationally and financially, it would also need to accept that no matter what it does it will probably never be bigger than the Broncos, and find a way to own that/make it work

I would assume that in cities that have 2 teams around the world in all sports, the first one to be there is the biggest in every case (and the larger that gap gets the more true it gets)

blue bags

First Grade
I take your point and a marketing angle like that can be useful, but Townsville is its own market. This new team will be competing head-to-head with the Broncos in the Brisbane market. Finances are a must in addition to a marketing angle that will get non-Bronco RL fans on board. The Broncos are the largest RL club in the world, any plan to take them on that doesn't involve deep pockets will struggle.
thats exactly right, most people have no idea, the monster club they are taking on

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Thunderbolts.

Brisbane Thunderbolts (Bolts for short).

Bushranger iconography.
Don't know about thunderbolts because Melbourne already use that name for their feeder/development teams. I do like the Bushrangers though. The Cowboys should have used that instead of the terribly American name they took on.

Keeping that Seaman idea:

Saints should move to Brisbane.

Become the Brisbane Stains...

Like Seaman Staines here...

Hoops. Blue shorts.

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 7.19.16 pm.png

And yes...I know. It's Tom the Cabin Boy.

Latest posts