What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

mongoose

Coach
It’s pretty simple
Panthers - Penrith stadium
Tigers - Bankwest
Bulldogs - Bankwest
Eels - Bankwest
Souths - Moore Park
Easts - Moore Park
Manly - Brooky
Sharks - Cronulla
Dragons - The Gong

ANZ should only be for GF and Origin

Campbelltown could come into play if that new Macarthur A League team gets it upgraded

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What is the go with Canberra?

That stadium is owned by the federal government.

Not the ACT.

Does it need an upgrade or a whole new stadium in a better place?

I seek advice from those who go there, they have two tenants.

What is the go with Canberra?

That stadium is owned by the federal government.

Not the ACT.

Does it need an upgrade or a whole new stadium in a better place?

I seek advice from those who go there, they have two tenants.

Ok so
1. its in a bad spot for gameday experience etc. its in Bruce and is surrounded by a suburb
, and a mountain. a city stadium would be way better for gameday, businesses around there etc. it would be great.
this is also the argument against EPIC site, which would be just moving the problem.

its on the AIS site and that's all federal govt
or something. im not 100% sure on that

it would be great if they could build new somewhere else cos of the location.

plus, a total upgrade they need to change multiple things.
1. its not a perfect rectangle. need to change that for a f**king start.
2. you would re do the rake to be steeper for a better experience
3. mostly not undercover. gets f**king cold there. a facilities all need a facelift. for CBR, I believe you need way more roof coverage, or a fully enclosed thing like in Dunedin.

essentially it would be just as expensive to fix than build a new one.
the problem is location. there isn't a great one in the city to utilise. you also have the issue of stuff around the lake being under the national capital authority etc so your options are limited.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Only changes I would make.

Wests Tigers - Bankwest 6, Campbelltown 3, Leichardt Oval 3
Dragons - Win 6, Jubilee 6
If the NRL wants Campbelltown upgraded they will need to commit to more than three games. The soccer club will struggle to get more than 5k - 8k there.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yeah in a trust for the federal gov, like Newcastle and Wollongong are a trust owned by NSW gov

I say take advantage of a sympathetic PM to RL now, he needs to stimulate the economy.

Problem will be Victorians.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I enjoyed my visit to GIO, mostly.
It was freezing (but got me nostalgic for the old winter Rugby in UK on the terraces freezing my arse off!) and was a long and expensive taxi ride from the stadium to where my hotel was in the centre. Food was great, view was fine, enjoyed being able to stand on the concourse to watch the game and facilities were fine. I did have to buy a Raiders beanie to stop my ears falling off lol.
Totally agree though that a stadium in CBD with a roof would boost Canberra crowds undoubtedly and probably encourage away fans to travel to the city for a weekend to catch a game. Until the new stadium, playing Canberra games during the day should be a goal!

ash the bash

Juniors
A move east isn’t a great business move for Souths in my opinion.
we play so many Thursday and Friday games that no matter how good the parking is it’s still a nightmare to get in to the city from out west where the fans are. We’re already at Homebush they might as well go a little further and move to bankwest and have a decent stadium.

I think once they see the new corporate facilities at the SFS that will certainly sway them. Agree not a great place to park, light rail will fix some of the issues coming from central. The car park is being made bigger on area where Roosters etc.. office space is. Would have to assume a better traffic management plan in place too.

Pommy

Coach
I think once they see the new corporate facilities at the SFS that will certainly sway them. Agree not a great place to park, light rail will fix some of the issues coming from central. The car park is being made bigger on area where Roosters etc.. office space is. Would have to assume a better traffic management plan in place too.

They can do whatever they want it’s still a pig of a place to get to. The tram helps of course but it’s still a trek from out west where they say their fans are.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The AIS (including Bruce stadium) is owned by the Australian sports commission (i.e. the federal government), but the ACT government has a weird deal with them where the ACT government has the responsibility to run the day to day operations of GIO stadium and pay for it's maintenance and any upgrades they want done to it.

I don't really understand how it works exactly, in fact I don't think anybody really understands how it works, but that is the way it is.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
I enjoyed my visit to GIO, mostly.
It was freezing (but got me nostalgic for the old winter Rugby in UK on the terraces freezing my arse off!) and was a long and expensive taxi ride from the stadium to where my hotel was in the centre. Food was great, view was fine, enjoyed being able to stand on the concourse to watch the game and facilities were fine. I did have to buy a Raiders beanie to stop my ears falling off lol.
Totally agree though that a stadium in CBD with a roof would boost Canberra crowds undoubtedly and probably encourage away fans to travel to the city for a weekend to catch a game. Until the new stadium, playing Canberra games during the day should be a goal!
Turner Parklands is the spot. Less than 1km from CBD, 500m from the light rail. Residential on one side only. Plenty of room for a stadium, some parking and a secondary/training oval that could be used by the existing rugby & cricket clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
Sure, the fans are still there but the ones that actually attend games in significant numbers live out west. I’m assuming that’s the thinking amongst the Souths brain trust otherwise it makes no sense. Souths fans may have more knowledge of it, I’m just trying to make sense of it.

I think it started with rugby league greed (getting paid handsomely to play there), and now its just rugby league lethargy. Like the scrum.

I think it started with rugby league greed (getting paid handsomely to play there), and now its just rugby league lethargy. Like the scrum.

When Souths were renegotiating with the SCG Trust for a new deal about hiring the SFS, Shane Richardson came out publicly and ranted about the poor deal they were offered compared to the Roosters by the trust. That is why at the end of 2005 they moved their home games to Homebush.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah in a trust for the federal gov, like Newcastle and Wollongong are a trust owned by NSW gov

I say take advantage of a sympathetic PM to RL now, he needs to stimulate the economy.

Problem will be Victorians.
Already tried that.

They (the Raiders) went so far as to get him out to a game against Cronulla last year to get a chance to talk to him directly about federal funding to upgrade the stadium. He basically said that it was the ACT government's responsibility and that it was none of his business.

It's been pointed out multiple times that NQ was the QLD government's responsibility but they got federal funding for a stadium that will have one tenant and serve significantly less people, that the only reason that the ACT government hasn't already built a new stadium is because of the Mr Fluffy loose fill asbestos indecent, asbestos that was installed by the federal governments of the 60s-70s, that the previous Liberal governments under Abbott and Turnbull forced the ACT government to pay for the clean up despite Mr Fluffy having nothing to do with them, but that all falls on deaf ears.

The seats in NQ were swing seats, the ACT is hard Labour, and the Liberals were out to buy seats...

The raw fact of the matter is that the Raiders, Brumbies, and capital football and/or A-league bids don't have the influence to force the stadium through while the current, very pro-AFL, Labour government is in power.
The ARU and FFA have both tried to help in their own way, but they both don't have much influence either, the NRL on the other hand has only ever paid lip service to supporting the new stadium, which is extremely frustrating because if they put half the effort that they put into getting stadiums built and upgraded in Sydney into supporting the new stadium in Canberra it would have been built a decade ago...

Meanwhile the longer this goes on the more likely it is that the new stadium will be "multi-purpose" (i.e. built for Aussie Rules) and/or in a shit location, either of which will effectively make it a white elephant that is borderline useless to the rectangular sports.
So useless in fact that if it's multipurpose, and they knock down Bruce to help fund the build (which is what's being talked about), that I'd support the Raiders (and Brumbies for that matter) relocating, because it's better that they relocate and make a go of it somewhere else then slowly die in Canberra.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Turner Parklands is the spot. Less than 1km from CBD, 500m from the light rail. Residential on one side only. Plenty of room for a stadium, some parking and a secondary/training oval that could be used by the existing rugby & cricket clubs.
The light rail only serves a tiny portion of the population (literally around 5%), and despite what the government says, it will never reach most of the population, nor can it currently handle demand at peak hours so I'd hate to see how it goes when it's trying to serve a stadium on game day.

Parts of Turner Parklands are on ANU grounds, so you'd have to get their permission to build over it, but even then it's got a creek running through the middle of it and if you try to build over it you'll have the nimbys out in force, and the nimbys would probably have a point as it turns out it's actually a pretty important water way that we probably shouldn't mess with if it's avoidable.

Basically, though not impossible, Turner's not realistically workable.

The real best spot was Braddon Rugy League Park, but some stupid bastards built a centre of excellence, that could have been built anywhere, over it... It's amazing how RL manages to shoot it's self in the foot over and over.

At this point your only realistic bets to get it built in Civic are either at the pool or somewhere in Haig park. Neither of them is ideal and both of them would have their own challenges. Personally I think that at this point you've got more hope of the new stadium being built in one of the other city centres, ideally Woden because it's most central.

Pommy

Coach
Souths Members got emailed a survey today about where they want to play ... ANZ, WSW or SFS.

I understand why they sent it to members but a wider survey would be good. One of the main reasons I let my membership expire is because we play at ANZ.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I understand why they sent it to members but a wider survey would be good. On of the main reasons I let my membership expire is because we play at ANZ.

surely they’d have database of anyone who bought a ticket to a Souths game in the last three years? I’m always surprised by how little direct marketing using this type of consumer data is done by the clubs or the nrl. I’ve been to pretty much every RL game in Perth in last ten years yet never get any direct marketing from nrl or clubs who bring games here, beyond storm who have my details from membership.

Latest posts