What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah cheers - Steel Saints also replied similar. Very surprised Bankwest isnt part of the bid - it's the most modern, and arguably the best, stadium in the country..

Yeh, I'm not sure why either, but maybe there was some deal between the FFA and the NRL. The bid is already taking ANZ and Allianz in Sydney.
There are all the other suburban grounds as well that would suffice for the NRL during the tournament.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah cheers - Steel Saints also replied similar. Very surprised Bankwest isnt part of the bid - it's the most modern, and arguably the best, stadium in the country..

They are spreading the games around so only need two stadiums in Sydney I guess? Townsville and GC isnt in either despite it being excellent facilities. Be nice if HBF Park got a new corporate stand out of it!

They are spreading the games around so only need two stadiums in Sydney I guess? Townsville and GC isnt in either despite it being excellent facilities. Be nice if HBF Park got a new corporate stand out of it!

Yeah the Gold Coast - absolute tourist hotspot, brilliant facility, showcase sunny australia (in wintertime) yet doesn't get a go???? What's the story there??

Red I'll do you a deal - I'll give you upgrades to HBF Park, if you can give me upgrades to Hindmarsh. Deal?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah the Gold Coast - absolute tourist hotspot, brilliant facility, showcase sunny australia (in wintertime) yet doesn't get a go???? What's the story there??

Red I'll do you a deal - I'll give you upgrades to HBF Park, if you can give me upgrades to Hindmarsh. Deal?
The same reason that NSW didn't get any RLWC games (aside from the ones the SCG Trust bid for), they didn't bid for any matches...

The ACT government, along with a lot of other places, turned them down as well, that's why they were forced to use oval stadiums in Geelong and Launceston.
It's also why all the soccer fans thought that the FFA's bid had no chance of winning until Japan pulled out.

siv

First Grade
The NSW Government has announced that it is to merge its Venues NSW agency and the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust (SCGT) to create a single organisation for NSW sporting and entertainment venues.

The move, proposed by the Labor opposition prior to the last NSW state election is being undertaken to, according to a media statement "attract blockbuster events and drive economic activity across the state".

Announcing the merger, acting Minister for Sport Geoff Lee stated "this merger is about placing NSW in the best possible position to attract the most exciting and sought after events so the entire State can benefit from the economic stimulation.

"We have made the investment in stadiums and infrastructure which are the envy of the world and now it’s time to ensure we get maximum returns.

“NSW is often competing nationally and internationally to attract major sporting events, concerts and other outdoor activities to our venues. A strong, co-ordinated and streamlined approach to attracting these major events will put our State in the best position to win them and reap the economic benefits.”

An Interim Advisory Board will be established to oversee the development of the operating model for the new entity, and will include long standing board members of the SCGT and Venues NSW.

The SCG Trust has long been seen as a highly influential body and whether the chnage is a genuine merger or a move to expand the Trust's role remains to be seen.

The initial appointment of Trust members Tony Shepherd as Chair and Rod McGeoch as Deputy Chair of the new entity suggest that the SCGT's powerbase may be about to expand.

The media statement advised "all Venues NSW and SCGT contracts, agreements and membership entitlements with sporting codes, clubs, partners and members will continue to be honoured and preserved by the merged entity."

The SCG Trust is responsible for the SCG and the under-construction Sydney Football Stadium.

Venues NSW is the owner, coordinator and promoter of publicly-owned sports and entertainment venues including Sydney's ANZ and Bankwest Stadiums, McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle, the Newcastle Entertainment Centre and Showground and the WIN Sports Stadium and Entertainment Centre in Wollongong.

The_Frog

First Grade
- Brookvale: Plans already in place with work beginning on new centre/grandstand on the northern end. Upgrade, Manly 11 games, Waratahs 2-?, Mariners 2-?, concerts...
- Panthers: Likely too, maybe a northern stand connected with a new eastern stand. Don't think the southern end can be upgraded. Penrith 11 games, Matilda's games...
I wonder if Brookvale and Penrith upgrades involve the local councils, who are the current owners, relinquishing ownership to the NSW Government? Not sure about Brookvale but I have grave doubts that Penrith City Council and its ratepayers will buy this, especially if it is going to be built no larger than it is now. Personally, I'd like to see a covered stadium at Penrith.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if Brookvale and Penrith upgrades involve the local councils, who are the current owners, relinquishing ownership to the NSW Government? Not sure about Brookvale but I have grave doubts that Penrith City Council and its ratepayers will buy this, especially if it is going to be built no larger than it is now. Personally, I'd like to see a covered stadium at Penrith.

Panthers group seem to have a lot of building projects, is there any opportunity for them to take it over and incorporate new stands with other commercial developments?

The same reason that NSW didn't get any RLWC games (aside from the ones the SCG Trust bid for), they didn't bid for any matches...

The ACT government, along with a lot of other places, turned them down as well, that's why they were forced to use oval stadiums in Geelong and Launceston.
It's also why all the soccer fans thought that the FFA's bid had no chance of winning until Japan pulled out.

Thanks mate, absolutely baffling to me they'd decline/not bid.

Admittedly I'm no Womens' Football expert but outside The Olympics and Men's Football world cup, (and possibly the Mens Cricket World Cup) - there would be no other world sporting tournament/event with more eyeballs on it than this...

Yet rather than the likes of the Gold Coast showcasing games with blue skies and mild weather in winter, we've got a game in the arctic blustery winter tasmanian weather, which isn't even rectangular.

Anyone know if the games are a mix of day/night games? York park on a rainy winters' night - absolutely no thank you!

Suitman

Post Whore
Thanks mate, absolutely baffling to me they'd decline/not bid.

Admittedly I'm no Womens' Football expert but outside The Olympics and Men's Football world cup, (and possibly the Mens Cricket World Cup) - there would be no other world sporting tournament/event with more eyeballs on it than this...

Yet rather than the likes of the Gold Coast showcasing games with blue skies and mild weather in winter, we've got a game in the arctic blustery winter tasmanian weather, which isn't even rectangular.

Anyone know if the games are a mix of day/night games? York park on a rainy winters' night - absolutely no thank you!

Yep, a bit baffling, but maybe the same reason why Bankwest wasn't considered I'd suggest.
Suncorp will be out of action so SE Qld will need a venue for the Broncos and Titans.
Absolutely Suncorp will get a Matilda's game or a semi final.

As for day/night games, that's a long way off. We've got to win the bloody thing yet!!
And yes I agree re Launceston. Absolute shite of a selection. That's where they'll stick games like Chechnya vs Azerbaijan.

Suitman

Post Whore
Wait for the push again for drop-in pitches at the SCG.....

I've never attended a protest in my life, but this is one i'd fly over to join..
Wait for the push again for drop-in pitches at the SCG.....

I've never attended a protest in my life, but this is one i'd fly over to join..

I'd join ya.
I cannot stand this bloke. The conflict of interest is so alarming for this state.

I hope this amalgamation does not throw into doubt any eventual upgrade of ANZ.

Yep, a bit baffling, but maybe the same reason why Bankwest wasn't considered I'd suggest.
Suncorp will be out of action so SE Qld will need a venue for the Broncos and Titans.
Absolutely Suncorp will get a Matilda's game or a semi final.

As for day/night games, that's a long way off. We've got to win the bloody thing yet!!
And yes I agree re Launceston. Absolute shite of a selection. That's where they'll stick games like Chechnya vs Azerbaijan.

Yeah. Re Day/Night games - I just wasn't sure if part of the bid was to play games at certain times in order to cater for time zone differences to the USA/UK/Europe etc.

And yep, this all doesn't mean a fig if we don't win it.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Done!
Hbf was very similar to Hindmarsh till WA Govt spent $125mill upgrade on it, tidy little stadium now

siv

First Grade
SMH article on the stadia management merger is basically saying it has become a SCG Trust takeover of All Venues NSW

ash the bash

Juniors
Not a lot of "Rugba Leeg" people on the board of the new super trust, besides Quayle. Don't think it will really matter they need the business from NSW's biggest code. I think that certainly shores up Souths move back into heartland at the SFS.

Wonder if there is a train of thought of Brookvale, Penrith stadium going from council owned to state under this new body ?

Steel Saints

Juniors
Yeah. Re Day/Night games - I just wasn't sure if part of the bid was to play games at certain times in order to cater for time zone differences to the USA/UK/Europe etc.

And yep, this all doesn't mean a fig if we don't win it.

Having the women's world cup will be huge, however the men's version is the cash cow for FIFA. Thats where scheduling to suit the European timezone becomes so important.

Latest posts