What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

Frenzy.

Immortal
Just been talking to the older sister and she reminded me that I actually went to see Sweet at the Hordern Pav.

Must have been 1975 according to Google. They didn't come to Australia many times. I woulda been a few months short of 16 in August that year when I went. Prolly why The Sixteens became a fave. LOL

After chatting I remember exactly why I went. Mick Tucker. I was always mesmerised by his 2 handed drumstick twirls. Was part of the act back then.

The set list for the show is here

Just been talking to the older sister and she reminded me that I actually went to see Sweet at the Hordern Pav.

Must have been 1975 according to Google. They didn't come to Australia many times. I woulda been a few months short of 16 in August that year when I went. Prolly why The Sixteens became a fave. LOL

After chatting I remember exactly why I went. Mick Tucker. I was always mesmerised by his 2 handed drumstick twirls. Was part of the act back then.

The set list for the show is here
Mick Tucker is a great (and underrated) drummer.

honestly.. Electric boogaloo ?? it just demands a bit of dance! ,Shake it feej!
giphy.gif

Quigs

Immortal
Sheeze, just found out the great Noel Ned Kelly passed away yesterday.

What a great old Magpie he was. A legend.

I believe he was the first aussie forward to make three kangaroo touring sides.

And a champion bloke too.

Quigs

Immortal
Noel Kelly on his nemises Tommy Bishop 1966

courtesy of Tony Adams great book The Hitmen - A tribute to League's tough guys.

The Englishmen returned to Australia with a new look team in 1966 and, with Kelly out injured, won the first test 17 -13. That match gave Kelly his first look, albeit from the sideline, of a man who was to prove his nemises for several years to come, the cheeky British halfback, Tommy Bishop.

"Bishop used to go on with all sorts of antics. He'd throw haymakers, jump on blokes backs, kick them ... he'd do anything to upset you," Kelly recalls. "I remember seeing him for the first time when I was out injured that game and he was using every trick in the book. I'd never seen anything like it. I hated him immediately and thought if he tries this against me, I'll kill him.

Kelly got his chance in the second test in Brisbane. "Play was only going a minute when he started carrying on so I gave him a back hander. it was on from there. I gave him a boot up the arse a couple of times. He kept giving me cheek but we won the match 6 - 4."

Australia eventually retained the Ashes with a 19 -14 win in the third test, in Sydney. Bishop, however, was to have the last laugh on Kelly a little over a year later.....

Kelly had been selected to make a third tour to the UK and Fance and therefore becoming the first front rower to make three tours..

Kelly was sent off twice during the tour including once in the third test at Swinton, but despite his absence, Australia won the game to retain the Ashes.

Kelly was fuming at the circumstances that led to his dismissal. His old foe, Bishop, had again been baiting him and at one stage, fell to the ground clutching his face and screaming as if he had been hit. Kelly immediately shown the way back to the dressing room by the referee, despite swearing he never laid a hand on the "injured" halfback.

It was a crazy thing," he recalls. "It was right at the end of the game and I didn't touch him. I should never have got sent off but the ref couldn't get rid of me quick enough. It was a sad way to end my career against the Poms."

Vale Noel Kelly, who I remember from my Lidcombe days as a prop in his later playing days at Wests, where he was also captain coach. His autobiography "Hard Man" is also a good read. Noel is very highly regarded by all my Lidcombe friends. Hard Man also has a nice story or two about Tommy Bishop.