What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
"I think any coach worth his salt would love the job. Such a plethora of athletes over in New Zealand and the South Pacific. I'd love to get my hands on a couple of them and get the best out of them," Toovey told TVNZ.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Can't agree with this (apart from the 2011 thing).

Kearney sets the culture of the club. Not the CEO, we saw with Wayne Scurrah/Ivan that a club can still be great under a great coach despite a less than great CEO. Kearney just isn't a good coach. We have the makings of a decent, fringe 8 team - but we're not. Yeah, some of the players are vastly overrated. But a better coach would make more out of them. CHT should be playing first grade. Pulu should be in first grade. Papalii has gone backwards under Kearney. Fusitua had a horrible year last year. We're missing out on the signings we need because no Australian player can see any benefit to their career playing under Kearney. That was completely different under Cleary - we signed Origin players at near the peak of their careers. For overs, sure, but those guys felt they could play rep footy here. Not now.

I still simply can't get past late last season, we're no hope of making the 8, and rather than take the opportunity to give some guys chances to develop with an eye to the future, he's week in week out saying the season isn't over yet, the season isn't over yet. Getting pushed on this on the radio, about how competitively it is over, and he just seemingly couldn't even wrap his head around the point that was being made because there were still rounds left, so the season is still going.

If you aren't winning now, and your approach is that shortsighted, you're really pushing shit uphill to think things are going to change.

No doubt if he stuck around we'd be sitting here in round 18, long out of the 8, watching Green continue to plod along while Chanel sits on the sideline.

Sure, Kearney isn't the only problem, but he was a problem, and a problem that generated other problems like the points you've mentioned here.

Legion

Juniors
This is on the players as much as it's on Kearney. Yeah the dude might not be the best coach but have some pride in your own performances over the last few years.

Just coz you have a shit coach doesn't mean you have to consistently concede 40+ points and miss an arse load of tackles.
Don't know the bloke but I like the way he's handled himself in front of the media, especially when everyone was screeching for Benji into the Kiwi team when he returned from Union. [As a WTigers supporter I'm a big Benji fan but Kearney did the right thing there]

Coaching is a thankless task unless they bring home the Premiership.
Agree that the players are just as responsible for where the Warriors are at.

Can't see Bennet or any other experienced coach choosing to move to NZ.
Aren't there any ex-Kiwi players with coaching aspirations? It would be a good time to start from scratch.

ozenzud

Juniors
Can't agree with this (apart from the 2011 thing).

Kearney sets the culture of the club. Not the CEO, we saw with Wayne Scurrah/Ivan that a club can still be great under a great coach despite a less than great CEO. Kearney just isn't a good coach. We have the makings of a decent, fringe 8 team - but we're not. Yeah, some of the players are vastly overrated. But a better coach would make more out of them. CHT should be playing first grade. Pulu should be in first grade. Papalii has gone backwards under Kearney. Fusitua had a horrible year last year. We're missing out on the signings we need because no Australian player can see any benefit to their career playing under Kearney. That was completely different under Cleary - we signed Origin players at near the peak of their careers. For overs, sure, but those guys felt they could play rep footy here. Not now.

Whatever! Tell me what club, even the Titans, which would have CHT in the halves rather than their existing pairing. CHT is an average footballer. First grade isn't the grade where you put players in to develop. Thats reserve grade. You get picked for first grade when you are the best player at a club, not before. Or maybe in the last 3-4 games of the season when you are out of the running.

Pulu was really exciting 3 seasons ago, but since his foot injury has been decidedly underwhelming.

The Warriors are an average, average football team. Expecting good results from the coach of this team , is like giving a grand prix driver a Prius and expecting them to win.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Whatever! Tell me what club, even the Titans, which would have CHT in the halves rather than their existing pairing. CHT is an average footballer. First grade isn't the grade where you put players in to develop. Thats reserve grade. You get picked for first grade when you are the best player at a club, not before. Or maybe in the last 3-4 games of the season when you are out of the running.

Pulu was really exciting 3 seasons ago, but since his foot injury has been decidedly underwhelming.

The Warriors are an average, average football team. Expecting good results from the coach of this team , is like giving a grand prix driver a Prius and expecting them to win.

I don't quite get your logic. You say you get picked when your the best player? Let's look at Kearney from last year and see if he's doing what you say.

Keighran picked as the top half.
Plays decent 3 games, is dropped.
CHT comes in, plays a few good games then gets dropped. But still good enough to now be an interchange player?
Nikorima comes in, plays for 10 rounds, then is swapped to the interchange.
Meanwhile CHT comes back in and switches between half, interchange, and 5/8.
This year? CHT is picked as a starting half, then under resumption of the comp he gets dropped (arguably will be better from the rule changes too).

Sorry, but Kearney didn't know what the f*ck he was doing the whole time. How shot would your confidence be as a young player trying to start your career, not knowing what was going to happen the week after

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I still simply can't get past late last season, we're no hope of making the 8, and rather than take the opportunity to give some guys chances to develop with an eye to the future, he's week in week out saying the season isn't over yet, the season isn't over yet. Getting pushed on this on the radio, about how competitively it is over, and he just seemingly couldn't even wrap his head around the point that was being made because there were still rounds left, so the season is still going.

If you aren't winning now, and your approach is that shortsighted, you're really pushing shit uphill to think things are going to change.

No doubt if he stuck around we'd be sitting here in round 18, long out of the 8, watching Green continue to plod along while Chanel sits on the sideline.

Sure, Kearney isn't the only problem, but he was a problem, and a problem that generated other problems like the points you've mentioned here.

Completely agreed.

I'm really dumbfounded by Sir John Kirwan's comments around how he feels sad about how the Warriors have treated Kearney, linking it to COVID 19, saying the owners could put people and retaining of jobs over 'short term' profit and results. Sir JK was my childhood hero. But that is so far off base it's ridiculous. Kearney is not up to it. He wasn't up to it last year but the current owners weren't there. He has to go. And he still gets paid. Sir JK says they can't see the big picture. What is that?

Then old Sione Faumuina weighs in and says it's the dumbest decision in the Warriors' history. That it lacks empathy, it's selfish, blah blah.

I just don't get it. This is a results-based industry. It's cut throat. Kearney isn't being tossed onto the streets with the homeless people. He gets a what, $2m payout? He gets to go home to his family that he hasn't lived with full-time for years? Calm down people. It's professional rugby league. I am sorry that Kearney lost his job. But he'll be OK. And he didn't deserve to keep it.

Scott

Bench
Completely agreed.

I'm really dumbfounded by Sir John Kirwan's comments around how he feels sad about how the Warriors have treated Kearney, linking it to COVID 19, saying the owners could put people and retaining of jobs over 'short term' profit and results. Sir JK was my childhood hero. But that is so far off base it's ridiculous. Kearney is not up to it. He wasn't up to it last year but the current owners weren't there. He has to go. And he still gets paid. Sir JK says they can't see the big picture. What is that?

Then old Sione Faumuina weighs in and says it's the dumbest decision in the Warriors' history. That it lacks empathy, it's selfish, blah blah.

I just don't get it. This is a results-based industry. It's cut throat. Kearney isn't being tossed onto the streets with the homeless people. He gets a what, $2m payout? He gets to go home to his family that he hasn't lived with full-time for years? Calm down people. It's professional rugby league. I am sorry that Kearney lost his job. But he'll be OK. And he didn't deserve to keep it.

BINGO - This is the real world. If you can't do the job, you're gone. Don't care what line of work it is. Perform or piss off.

Big Marn

Juniors
Completely agreed.

If David Kidwell can get a gig back in the NRL, I'm sure Kearney will end up somewhere ok.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Funny thing is a few of us would’ve been happier with Kidwell over Kearney when the latter got the Warriors appointment, his stock was pretty good until the debacle with the kiwis (one job Kearney did do well at).

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

How would we know how good CHT is? He looked pretty good through last year. Have a look at the votes on this site - he featured heavily (and yes, I know we love a rookie). He was being picked ahead of Nikorima. And how do we know Pulu is underwhelming? He played round 15 last year. his only game of 2019. He was certainly worth his place in 2018.

The Warriors are an average football team because the coach, who has been here for 3.5 years, is average. We are not a Prius. A Prius can't beat the Mercedes', the McLaren's etc on any day. We could, if we were coached well. If we recruited well. If we created the right hard-nosed culture. There are quite a few coaches who would have come in at the same time Kearney did and made us a finals team, if not a premiership team. One was available at the time and I piss on about him a lot.

The next coach is coming into a situation that was a lot worse than Kearney got. Kearney got a good CEO - this coach will not. The new coach is going to need to replace old veterans like Blair, Green etc - and who's going to sign? Everyone's turning us down. If ever there's a Prius analogy, it's what Kearney is passing on to the new coach. We certainly can't beat the Mercedes now.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Deadset look at you all worry today.

Mate, we haven't had a good coach for nine years. Every time this happens, we replace the old guy with a McClennan, a McFadden, a McElliott, a McKearney, a whole bunch of McMeals that come without any prizes or cool little kids toys.

I want George to come out and say who these coaches that contacted him are. Not in name, because I know he won't do that, but are they premiership coaches? Intrust Cup legends? Graham Lowe?

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors chairman Rob Croot understands why many have labelled the axing of coach Stephen Kearney as heartless and brutal, but is adamant it was the only course of action once they decided he was not the long-term option at Mt Smart.

In an exclusive interview with the Herald , Croot, who is also the chairman of club owners Autex, outlined the reasoning and defended the timing of the decision.

"I appreciate that it seems really tough with Covid and the boys based in Australia to make the decision now," said Croot.

"We made it fairly clear, even publicly, of our expectations of performance when we took over [as sole owners] at the end of last season. We expected a change and to move forward. We haven't seen that consistency and we have called it.

"[Now] it allows us to go to market and choose the best person to drive the change we are looking for. The timing also allows the new coach to be involved in recruitment for the 2021 season, which is critical."

Croot said there had been concerns with the fluctuating form leading into last Friday night, and the subsequent 40-12 loss to the Rabbitohs was the impetus for a phone conference on Saturday morning between Croot, Robinson and George.

Later that same morning, Croot and George called Kearney, advising him of their decision.

Croot said the unique scenario presented by Covid-19 had been taken into account, but ultimately performance was the final measure. Numerous commentators have labelled the move 'brutal' and 'callous' and Croot says the club hierarchy will take such flak "on the chin."

"I know it seems heartless but there is never a good time for something like this," said Croot. "What you need to do is be honest and upfront with the people who are involved.

"I know there has been speculation that we have had people lined up in the background and I can tell you categorically there has been no conversations with anyone about the future coach of the Warriors.

"From the outside looking in it looks ruthless in the timing but what's the alternative? Sitting on a decision until he gets home, with him stuck in Australia, knowing [ourselves that] we have made a decision? [That] doesn't sit comfortably with me. I would rather call it and be honest and transparent about it."

There has been conjecture in the Australian media that some players may be too distraught to continue, but Croot hoses down that speculation.

"I'd be pretty surprised," said Croot. "I understand that being remote from this is particularly difficult. Players have their own personal choices and if some of them feel distressed enough to make decisions about their future then that is up to them.

"But there is also an opportunity here, and that is what we have told [interim coach] Todd [Payten]. We are certainly not giving up on the season, but we have been careful in talking to Todd. We have no expectations apart from pride. Get the team together and show us what you are capable of."

Stephen Kearney has been axed as Warriors coach following the thumping the team received by the Rabbitohs. Video / NRL
Croot said the club have started the process of putting together a "wishlist" and the most important criteria for the new head coach, confirming there had already been significant interest expressed.

"We are not in a rush," said Croot. "Part of the reason for the decision making is that now it gives us that opportunity to take that breath.

"There is no timeframe we are working to but ideally we would have somebody lined up fairly quickly, so that person can have due influence over selections and signings for next year."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12342016

Leber

Bench
Fitzgibbon wants to wait until Mary gets the sack (inevitable) so he can get the Dragons job.

Both Toovey and Griffin have said they want it

so...

6rZ8g8R.jpg

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Hey just as a side note, how will Kearneys axeing play out for Adam Blair?
Mates with Kearney since he as 16, is no longer the coaches favourite so will have to work for his spot in the team, having to go around again next year might not seem as fun, especially with this year and so much lost time with his family...

Tongue

Juniors
Hi all.
Have been reading the forum for many years, but have never signed up until now.

The Kearney sacking has left me with more questions than answers.
The 2 most successful coaches for the Warriors, have been those who have coached the Warriors the most games. Anderson and Cleary. The point I am making is that though there were obvious inconsistencies in performance while Kearney was coach, did he have long enough to really make a long term impact?

This rotation of coaches every few years is a failed concept. I think they need a franchise coach. Could Kearney have been this franchise coach? Stability is not a word usually associated with the Warriors, and here we are again. New owners, new coach....again.

Strangely, results aside, I saw enough from their post-covid performances to be somewhat optimistic. We will never know what was to be, had they let Kearney see out the year.