What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Spot On

Coach
No, fair enough - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I appreciate you being kind enough to share yours.

I really like Gutherson, and Brown, but even I can admit that the media carries on like they are future Immortals - which is silly.

Gutho may not have all the athetic gifts and flair of Tedesco, Pap or Ponga (when he actually plays well) but the bloke has a dig, does he job very well most weeks and is influential in a side that is in really good form.

And above all, he is a footy player with a decent footy brain - unlike a lot of overpaid, overhyped underperformers who have excuses made for their performances week after week.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gutho may not have all the athetic gifts and flair of Tedesco, Pap or Ponga (when he actually plays well) but the bloke has a dig, does he job very well most weeks and is influential in a side that is in really good form.

And above all, he is a footy player with a decent footy brain - unlike a lot of overpaid, overhyped underperformers who have excuses made for their performances week after week.

I am a huge Clint Gutherson fan - but I can definitely see why many people don't see it in him.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I’ve always said the way to tell who are genuine great players and who are overrated is to ask the fans of the club who the player plays for.

They are the ones who run a fine tooth comb over every aspect of a players ability and are always the ones who are usually ultra critical of performance.

As a Parra fan plenty of other supporters say Gutho is overrated. When you see the bloke week in week out and know how he has put the hard yards in and improved his game over the years and continually does so, along with the fact he gives 110% every game and uses every single drop of natural ability he has been given you can appreciate him for what a great player he is.

Anyone who voted for Dylan Edwards over him eats shrooms for breakfast lunch and dinner.

soc123_au

Staff member
I’ve always said the way to tell who are genuine great players and who are overrated is to ask the fans of the club who the player plays for.

They are the ones who run a fine tooth comb over every aspect of a players ability and are always the ones who are usually ultra critical of performance.

As a Parra fan plenty of other supporters say Gutho is overrated. When you see the bloke week in week out and know how he has put the hard yards in and improved his game over the years and continually does so, along with the fact he gives 110% every game and uses every single drop of natural ability he has been given you can appreciate him for what a great player he is.

Anyone who voted for Dylan Edwards over him eats shrooms for breakfast lunch and dinner.
I posted in the Panthers forum the other day that if Edwards keeps improving he could be as good as Gutho at some point. Both in a similar mould, hard workers who will squeeze all they can from what talent they have got. Put me down as a non Parra supporter who rates Gutho. Fantastic player.

I think Cordner falls into the same category as well. Probably takes a Roosters fan to fully appreciate what he brings. Yeo would be the same for us.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I posted in the Panthers forum the other day that if Edwards keeps improving he could be as good as Gutho at some point. Both in a similar mould, hard workers who will squeeze all they can from what talent they have got. Put me down as a non Parra supporter who rates Gutho. Fantastic player.

I think Cordner falls into the same category as well. Probably takes a Roosters fan to fully appreciate what he brings. Yeo would be the same for us.

100%... Edwards is more than handy, he has the same work ethic and fitness as Gutho. Just needs to believe in himself and continue to improve.

Also I would take Yeo in a heartbeat, ultimate club player imo you know what you are going to get week in week out.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
I am a huge Clint Gutherson fan - but I can definitely see why many people don't see it in him.
I honestly can't see how he is overrated.

He isn't in the top tier fullbacks- Tedesco, RTS, Turbo, Slater before he retired, Ponga straddles the line of that club repeatedly. Gutherson isn't at that level, but also no one says he is. He seems appropriately rated imo. Even hardcore parra fans describe him as more reliable than superstar.
Even a few years back when he asked for 'big money', he wasnt really asking for much. There was a shortage of quality fullbacks so his market value would have been inflated, but even then It was reported he was only after $700k.

Dingo_dan

Juniors

I honestly don't get these takes by some fans. Cordner is easily the best second rower of the last decade, and it shouldn't take being a one eyed rooster fan to realise this.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I honestly can't see how he is overrated.

He isn't in the top tier fullbacks- Tedesco, RTS, Turbo, Slater before he retired, Ponga straddles the line of that club repeatedly. Gutherson isn't at that level, but also no one says he is. He seems appropriately rated imo. Even hardcore parra fans describe him as more reliable than superstar.
Even a few years back when he asked for 'big money', he wasnt really asking for much. There was a shortage of quality fullbacks so his market value would have been inflated, but even then It was reported he was only after $700k.

He's not overrated. Talk to any of his team mates and they'd say they probably wouldn't trade him for Tedesco. Any analysis of him being overrated completely overlooks what makes a footballer as a complete package. He's not a human highlight reel but he has a very astute league brain, knows where to be on the field, safe under the high ball, enough toe, good defender, can play other positions, pure competitor, bad game isn't that far away from his best, good bloke, I'd imagine he trains the house down. He's the sort of guy you build sides around. And he's captain for a reason. No one should be saying he's in the superstar tier but shit, I'd have him at my club.

mongoose

Coach
Kurt Gidley and Braith Anasta

If you looked up overrated in the dictionary you would see a picture of Kurt Gidley. Those years he was made captain of NSW were dark days for the blues....

Anasta was certainly overrated early on in his career but he became maligned in later years so I'm not sure if he could be considered overrated.

Latest posts