What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homecoming Juniors

boardlumps62

Juniors
No one has mentioned Jack Bird who flew the coop going to the Gummies. Why was he forgotten.
A return a possibility.

SBD82

Coach
We’ve been linked to him. Broncos are looking at offloading him and carrying a portion of his contract. Sharks, dragons and Bulldogs the clubs that have been mentioned.

Nothing reported about whether Bird would be willing to make the move.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
He's played 17 games in 3 years. Currently on 975k for this year with a player option for next year. I don't think he'd want to go anywhere based on those numbers.
Broncos are desperate to unload players to keep Fifita. Bird is an obvious choice given his salary and playing history with them.
Would any club want to dip in close to 600k on a player who's probably lucky to even play.

SBD82

Coach
He's played 17 games in 3 years. Currently on 975k for this year with a player option for next year. I don't think he'd want to go anywhere based on those numbers.
Broncos are desperate to unload players to keep Fifita. Bird is an obvious choice given his salary and playing history with them.
Would any club want to dip in close to 600k on a player who's probably lucky to even play.
To be totally honest, I can’t see it happening. Bulldogs are already carrying an injury prone player on big dollars in Foran, and he didn’t leave us or the Sharks on great terms.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yes Jack is going to find it difficult to get a gig unless he can prove his fitness. So much talent gone to waste. Remember watching him when playing with Euan Aitken sad to lose him to Sharks.

He has already taken up his player option for next year.
Why wouldn’t he, $900,000 again next year.
The only way he won’t be a Donkey next year is if they pay at least 75% of his salary still as I can’t see any team paying more than $300,000 for him after the injuries the past 4 years he has had.
Suck it up Broncos.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Better to invest in our young guns coming through.
The Feagai brothers should be our focus along with Ramsey, Sailor and Sullivan.

We already have Dufty, Lomax, Clunne and Ravalawa in the side so I don't see the need to bring Bird back on a high salaryand a major risk of continued injuries.

No Thanks.

possm

Coach
No one has mentioned Jack Bird who flew the coop going to the Gummies. Why was he forgotten.
A return a possibility.
Past his best, he gave his best to the Sharks. Unfortunately, he has been injury prone ever since he joined the Broncos.

We have our young juniors coming through and if we need a marquee type player, we surely want one that is on the field more than off.

Jack Bird is a risky signing. I hope he finds a job and becomes a more reliable player but not at the Dragons, we have a lot of work to do and we need all hands on deck.

Not sure he’d return to the Dragons whilst ever Flanno is around as I believe that relationship soured when he parted the Sharks to chase dollars only.
Half true.
He left the Sharks because in his (Bird) words Flanno disrespected him. The Flange said to him "we'll sort your contract out this week", Flanno didn't get back to him for 3 months. Bird waited and then started searching, by the time Flanno got back to him he was gone. He has told the whole story on Chad's podcast.
Bird never wanted to leave the Sharks.
He actually broke down telling the story.

possm

Coach
Half true.
He left the Sharks because in his (Bird) words Flanno disrespected him. The Flange said to him "we'll sort your contract out this week", Flanno didn't get back to him for 3 months. Bird waited and then started searching, by the time Flanno got back to him he was gone. He has told the whole story on Chad's podcast.
Bird never wanted to leave the Sharks.
He actually broke down telling the story.
Isn't that the type of work Bird's manager is supposed to do. Why have a manager if you are going to do the work yourself. You can be sure that the manager would have got back to Flanagan soon after the week's deadline had passed.

In any case, I'm sure there were others that needed to sign off on Bird's retention and in the end, the delay played well for the Sharks.

Old Timer

Coach
In all honesty how did this thread get any legs at all?

Bird has major health and injury issues, has barely played a game in 3 years and has an existing contract with a massive pay day that he will milk for everything he can.

Besides all that we have high quality juniors on the books that will suffer the same fate he did if we bring him back as he will just be another busted journeyman blocking juniors.

Surely history won’t repeat itself this time?