What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next game vs the Wabbits

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I didn't blink for about 4 minutes after fulltime. If Souths won I would have had a complete breakdown. I can't believe how we almost lost after putting almost 40 on a team missing 5? of their better players.

Now for the positives:
What an awesome crowd. When the figure came up over 17k I was surprised. I thought it might be about 19k. Hats off to everyone who went (even the Souths fans).

The changes made since Hook has gone have been a breath of fresh air. It's so nice to see some variation with the ball. We are a mile off being a good side, but at least we aren't doing the boring 5 hitups and bomb. It will be interesting to see the progression in another month.
You can't help but laugh at some of the #dragonsfooty moments. I lost it at Hunt's offload to Lawrie who was going back to the line.
Wins are rare, even against a side with so many outs. We deserve some joy.
Agree with all of the above but in the lads defence I think the try Host scored from the offload by Havilli, I think was very very late. If it had of been us I’m sure the ref would’ve recalled it and said player held.

Have watched the replay a couple of times now.

Our attack has improved out of sight under Carr.

Fluid and much more creative.

Hunt, Sullivan, Sloan and Liddle very good in attack.

Our forwards gave as good as they copped.

Sloan dropped a pass that was flung high and behind him by Hunt. The one he lost control of when bursting through May have been knocked out of his hand by the Souths defender.

The try scored by Kennar was a collective defensive error, not merely Fegai’s fault. The boys slid sideways rather than moving forward close to our line.

Rava was probably momentarily blinded by the sun which may explain why he didn’t contest the kick. He may have originally thought the ball was closer to Lomax.

Cook caught BMM a bit fatigued from dummy half which ultimately cost us a try.

The final 4 minutes fell apart after Hunt decides to go short on the dropout. Unnecessary as it gave Souths field possession.

We slackened off and paid the price.

Late offload caught us out.

Suli missed Graham, one on one.

Amone misses Graham.

My point is the severe criticism of some forum members of Fegai and Sloan is excessive and unwarranted.

All in all, we have improved a lot under Carr.

We are finally playing real football rather than the one out, kick on the last tackle we have endured under Hook.

Great to hear the chant “St George” go up around the ground at key times yesterday.

Enjoy the win and the long weekend guys.

since77

Juniors
I only got to catch about 2/3 of the game and had to leave for a function not long before the late comeback so had to listen to that unfold on the radio in the car. In my mind that all started with the brain dead decision to attempt a short drop out when for once the sensible option was to actually kick it long….Only the Dragons huh?
But considering I am a grumpy SOB most of the time on this forum I’m actually going to buck the trend that seems to be going through the post game thread and take this win and run with it and ignore the negative finish. I actually don’t care about it. We were far enough ahead to outlast them and that counts for a lot, at least for this week. And I don’t give a crap that Souths had players missing. We‘ve lost to worse teams this year than that. We had 2 regular first graders missing too.
I think considering the mess that Carr has inherited he’s done an admirable job. They really do look like a better team under him. They’re improving. Still brain dead? Yes. Still can’t play 80 minutes? Sure. But undoing the mess Griffin has created will take time. I’m seeing improvement. I hope the club is smart enough to keep Carr on the staff and would even be happy for him to be a future contender for the coaching job. He talks well, is making some smarter team selections and hey it even looks like he might be able to come up with a game plan and attacking structure. One to watch as far as I’m concerned.
I’ve been a harsh critic of Lawrie but have got to say he played well yesterday. Keep the beard Blake, it suits you! Thought M.Molo had a great game - isn’t it amazing what happens when a coach sticks with you for a few games? His brother has also strung 2 decent games together. Sullivan is showing himself to be a great half and why the hell Amone was ever ahead of him in the pecking order is baffling. A Hunt / Sullivan halves combination is going to be a good one.
Just enjoy the win people.

Dragon David

First Grade
Have watched the replay a couple of times now.

Our attack has improved out of sight under Carr.

Fluid and much more creative.

Hunt, Sullivan, Sloan and Liddle very good in attack.

Our forwards gave as good as they copped.

Sloan dropped a pass that was flung high and behind him by Hunt. The one he lost control of when bursting through May have been knocked out of his hand by the Souths defender.

The try scored by Kennar was a collective defensive error, not merely Fegai’s fault. The boys slid sideways rather than moving forward close to our line.

Rava was probably momentarily blinded by the sun which may explain why he didn’t contest the kick. He may have originally thought the ball was closer to Lomax.

Cook caught BMM a bit fatigued from dummy half which ultimately cost us a try.

The final 4 minutes fell apart after Hunt decides to go short on the dropout. Unnecessary as it gave Souths field possession.

We slackened off and paid the price.

Late offload caught us out.

Suli missed Graham, one on one.

Amone misses Graham.

My point is the severe criticism of some forum members of Fegai and Sloan is excessive and unwarranted.

All in all, we have improved a lot under Carr.

We are finally playing real football rather than the one out, kick on the last tackle we have endured under Hook.

Great to hear the chant “St George” go up around the ground at key times yesterday.

Enjoy the win and the long weekend guys.
A very good assessment and report SF and have a good weekend too!

BLM01

First Grade
Agree with all of the above but in the lads defence I think the try Host scored from the offload by Havilli, I think was very very late. If it had of been us I’m sure the ref would’ve recalled it and said player held.
Yes it is one of the NRL's achillies heel which I have mentioned for many years. "Held" was when momentum was halted...They wait to long for some reason
nowadays it is while they are standing take as long as you like to offload
On the flip side it also has allowed that stupid steal of a ball when a player drops off the tackle etc.. again way after momentum was halted
It is a no brainer to fix. It would also stop 3rd man in and wrestle etc

BLM01

First Grade
Actually, it was the difference. ;)
Souths missed 3 goals.. we missed 1 . We still win :)

The last 5-10 mins with momentum substantially halted with bunker referrals taking forever and a day to decide for me was the difference
We were rolling well up until the 70th minute and had them shot
Some were very debatable that did not go our way.
That got Souths somehow back in the game as we clocked off from boredom waiting for the bunker

dannyt

Coach
Yes it is one of the NRL's achillies heel which I have mentioned for many years. "Held" was when momentum was halted...They wait to long for some reason
nowadays it is while they are standing take as long as you like to offload
On the flip side it also has allowed that stupid steal of a ball when a player drops off the tackle etc.. again way after momentum was halted
It is a no brainer to fix. It would also stop 3rd man in and wrestle etc
Good point regarding monentum. I thought the offload was very late.

I was at the game yesterday and to see the full ground plus calls to ask people on the hill to stand so there was more space was unbelievable. Ive never heard that before in 63 yrs of going to Kogarah. Sadly it started badly with our “reserve “ grade showing they are barely that even. Coming 3 rd last with no signs of improvement. However 1st grade- what a change and so good to see. Sullivan so much better than Amone. Moga needs to replace Feagai. We need to learn to stay on our wings- saw this in both grades. I dont care what most commentators think - wingers these days are half the players they used to be. All up the last 4 mins was frightening- however we got there and what a great day it was. I finally saw a team trying. Went home very happy- were slowly getting there

Trifili13

Juniors
I hate this "souths were missing key players". While correct, they were playing the Dragon's who are coming last so a depleted South's team in the top 4 should equate a bottom side. I get it if they were missing players and playing against one of the top sides. I would argue that if you combined the 2 teams that played yesterday that at least half would be from Souths so wish the press focused more on the Dragon's for their win than who South's were missing.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Miller isn't the answer, he's just another reject from a perpetually underperforming team. He's been dropped to reserves because he makes too many errors and misses too many tackles (73% tackle efficiency). He's only managed 2 tries from 11 games this year which is poor for a fullback even in a bottom 8 team. Also he's 28 years old, so basically another late career loser but with even less talent than Mbye. Is that what we need......fk NO. I'd rather stick Amone at the back or Mbye or even persist with Sloan rather than risk valuable money and roster spots on someone who obviously isn't the future.
He only got hyped up because Joey was on telly singing his praises (baseless given Miller's career to date) saying he's a great replacement that will let the Pong become the World's Greatest 5/8 (hahaha) and having Freddy join in because that's what Joey and Freddy do. Joey is Newy's worst one-eyed fan, they can do no wrong.
Frankly, Millers stats here are what get Dragons recruitment salivating….and he may even return their call!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Unfortunately the reason Sloan hasn't made a 1 on 1 tackle (or not to many) I think to be honest hes scared to.....and that's the reason he gets out paced...he let's the player run around him then tries to tackle side on or behind the player
P
To be fair basically the only first grade coach all the kids have had is Griffin so the defensive issues could easily be attributed to poor coaching. I think if we’re still talking about this in 12mths then I’ll be prepared to call it an issue.

I’m happy to see improvement in attack & defence can get sorted in the offseason under the new coach. I think both the Roosters & Souths wins might be typical for the remainder of ‘23. To win we’ll need to score circa 30 points to out score opponents by <6 to get the win.

From what I’ve been told it’s looking unlikely Ramsey will be back he’s very unwell. I had an ex partner who had a autoimmune disease & it’s no joke. I don’t know how ready Treigh Stewart is but right now Sloan is the only fullback at the club.
I agree re Sloan....I was simply replying to another post on here.....obviously his defensive efforts need work our new coach will address the issue if he's going to be our fullback....Dufty was in the same boat had a ton of pace but couldn't tackle to save himself

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I hate this "souths were missing key players". While correct, they were playing the Dragon's who are coming last so a depleted South's team in the top 4 should equate a bottom side. I get it if they were missing players and playing against one of the top sides. I would argue that if you combined the 2 teams that played yesterday that at least half would be from Souths so wish the press focused more on the Dragon's for their win than who South's were missing.
If they had a full strength side they would have beaten us comfortably…let’s be honest with ourselves. But they didn’t…so f**k them. We won.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Great win boys , just what was needed . 😇

I made above comment after seeing what I believed ( 36 - 18 ) was the final score , well shock , horror was my reaction when I discovered that our Dragons went to sleep to allow another 2 tries and actual score was 36 - 30.

They won however not without scaring the hell out of the fans . The new coach will have his work cut out for him regardless of how we fare for the rest of the season , but if Flanagan is the man to be , then I can guarantee that there will be no more nodding off at the latter stages of the game .