What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polynesian players allowed into Origin

Clarkent

Juniors
Peter V'landys has again opened up the possibility of players who play for the Polynesian countries to be allowed to play State of Origin. He stated this week, “The NSW coach has been vocal with me that we should have the best players in the State of Origin and I agree with him. So we need to look at that. I think it’s a pretty stupid rule where we force all our players to play for Australia. If they want to play for Tonga or Samoa, let them. Because that only strengthens the international game.
With over 48% of the current players in the NRL either Polynesian or identifying through their heritage, is it an inevitable move and a step in the right direction or a potentially dangerous path to pursue? Thoughts on this? I mean it's already happening anyways... Like Papalii at the last World Cup playing for Samoa when he didn't make the kangaroos

Pommy

Coach
Peter V'landys has again opened up the possibility of players who play for the Polynesian countries to be allowed to play State of Origin. He stated this week, “The NSW coach has been vocal with me that we should have the best players in the State of Origin and I agree with him. So we need to look at that. I think it’s a pretty stupid rule where we force all our players to play for Australia. If they want to play for Tonga or Samoa, let them. Because that only strengthens the international game.
With over 48% of the current players in the NRL either Polynesian or identifying through their heritage, is it an inevitable move and a step in the right direction or a potentially dangerous path to pursue? Thoughts on this? I mean it's already happening anyways... Like Papalii at the last World Cup playing for Samoa when he didn't make the kangaroos

I honestly don’t care who plays for origin but his idea on moving it to post season worries me for the future of the international game. The Kangaroos essentially won’t be playing games.
It is a bit ridiculous in the sense that the vast majority are already eligible for origin as they’re mostly Australians anyway.

Clarkent

Juniors
I honestly don’t care who plays for origin but his idea on moving it to post season worries me for the future of the international game. The Kangaroos essentially won’t be playing games.
It is a bit ridiculous in the sense that the vast majority are already eligible for origin as they’re mostly Australians anyway.
Agree they need to play it in the middle of the season but on the weekend and cut the NRL season short

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Polynesian players are already allowed to play Origin.
As usual the media and administrators barely have a clue.

I'm hoping he means that they are no longer tying Origin eligibility to Kangaroos eligibility. If true, I only hope that this only applies to Australian players that are also eligible for a teir 2 nation. You don't want to see RTS, Josh Hodgson, Manu or Civo being picked for Origin and turning it into an all stars game.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm hoping he means that they are no longer tying Origin eligibility to Kangaroos eligibility. If true, I only hope that this only applies to Australian players that are also eligible for a teir 2 nation. You don't want to see RTS, Josh Hodgson, Manu or Civo being picked for Origin and turning it into an all stars game.

He does mean that, but it hasn't really applied for polynesian nations in some time. There are numerous examples of Origin players playing for Samoa and Tonga, while still fulfilling the Origin requirement of being eligible for Australia.

NZ players on the other hand can not.

Personally I have no issue with completely untying Origin from Aus eligiblity, even for NZ and England players - provided they still fulfil the Origin eligibility.
Meaning:
Someone who grew up in QLD with a Kiwi mother, could play for QLD and NZ.
But someone who grew up in Auckland and moved to QLD to play footy at age 16 could not play for QLD.

Pommy

Coach

The rules should be equal for everyone I still massively disagree with saying some players can represent their heritage whilst others can it’s flat out discrimination that shouldn’t be allowed.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The rules should be equal for everyone I still massively disagree with saying some players can represent their heritage whilst others can it’s flat out discrimination that shouldn’t be allowed.

Born and bred Australians that have heritage with a teir 2 nation would be allowed to play Origin without it being linked to being a Kangaroo under this plan - I like it.

What I don't want to see is people not born or at least raised in Australia from a young age signing with an Aussie club from England or New Zealand and being picked in an Origin team.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
He does mean that, but it hasn't really applied for polynesian nations in some time. There are numerous examples of Origin players playing for Samoa and Tonga, while still fulfilling the Origin requirement of being eligible for Australia.

NZ players on the other hand can not.

Personally I have no issue with completely untying Origin from Aus eligiblity, even for NZ and England players - provided they still fulfil the Origin eligibility.
Meaning:
Someone who grew up in QLD with a Kiwi mother, could play for QLD and NZ.
But someone who grew up in Auckland and moved to QLD to play footy at age 16 could not play for QLD.

Yes, I agree with this. Some pacific nations might be weakened during the mid-season internationals but it's probably still worth them running a team out (depth, experience etc.) and then all serious comps (Oceania Cup, Euros, World Cup etc.) are held in the October / November international window when all sides can have the opportunity to be at full-strength.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Born and bred Australians that have heratige with a teir 2 nation would be allowed to play Origin without it being linked to being a Kangaroo under this plan - I like it.

What I don't want to see is people not born or at least raised in Australia from a young age signing with an Aussie club from England or New Zealand and being picked in an Origin team.

I can’t get onboard with any rules that allow players to play for heritage in some cases but not all. For the record I don’t Australians plying for England but I can’t agree that they shouldn’t be allowed. Why is a Polynesians heritage more important than anyone else’s?

adamkungl

Immortal
Yes, I agree with this. Some pacific nations might be weakened during the mid-season internationals but it's probably still worth them running a team out (depth, experience etc.) and then all serious comps (Oceania Cup, Euros, World Cup etc.) are held in the October / November international window when all sides can have the opportunity to be at full-strength.

If you ran NZ v Tonga best of 3 mid-season barely any of those players would even consider playing Origin tbh

I suspect PVL and Gould want to push Origin back to total standalone though.
If that's the case, I much MUCH rather it stay mid-season, and push all internationals to the post-season.
It's not my ideal scenario but its better than Origin barging into October.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can’t get onboard with any rules that allow players to play for heritage in some cases but not all. For the record I don’t Australians plying for England but I can’t agree that they shouldn’t be allowed. Why is a Polynesians heritage more important than anyone else’s?

It's not more important. The reason it is allowed for some countries is because they are teir 2 nations and the international game would be weaker if we didn't. England, Australia and NZ do not need to use heritage players to field world class sides.

Clarkent

Juniors
There will never be a competitive island nation if the rugby league board listened to you

RedVee

First Grade

I don’t understand.
Are you still talking about the English bloke that played for Wales On heritage for a while but now want to play for England ? Isn’t that the same ?

Matua

Bench
Born and bred Australians that have heritage with a teir 2 nation would be allowed to play Origin without it being linked to being a Kangaroo under this plan - I like it.

Why is it ok for a PI to play Origin and their PI of heritage but not Kayln Ponga to play origin and for NZ?