What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polynesian players allowed into Origin

The Great Dane

First Grade
FFS dude, the quote marks around that should have been enough of a hint to you that I was taking the piss out of your comment. Different heritages can happily coexist without leading to balkanisation.
It's hard to tell when the quote has both a single and a double comma on it, and I never claimed that different heritages couldn't coexist, nice straw man though.

Different heritages can coexist, however groups living in enclaves that don't see themselves as part of the broader nation will act in their own interests and that will inevitably lead to conflict between the groups.

In other words a community of Australians of Kiwi heritage will co-exist with the other Australians just fine, but a community of Kiwi's that settle in Australia but don't consider themselves to be Australians will eventually lead to conflict between the two groups sooner or later.

If you want an example of what I'm talking about just look at the riots that are currently going on in America right now. You have multiple groups (both ideological and ethnic with a fair amount of crossover), that for reasons right or wrong, feel that they are separate groups from the broader "American" community, and are lashing out at the broader American community for what they perceive to be injustices against their group.

siv

First Grade
We should have been able to play SOO in parrallel with a Kiwi, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa series all in NSW

With a one of test Australia v winner after origin

Everyone is in the NRL bubble

3 games post season with a final

But this the NRL is pushing origin into being an all-star game rather than a Kangaroo selection series

And as an All-Star game, you cannot have a reason for players to opt-out

Ie you cannot be in competition with a International series

RedVee

First Grade
Luai into NSW Origin squad even after stating he’d prefer Samoa over Origin.
I thought Fittler was big on the NSW as your total focus thing.

yes 2020 is different, but still ?

Clarkent

Juniors

There's no international this year so it's not gonna affect there's place in the Samoan team if hes selected next year... That's why even Daniel Tupou is playing...

RedVee

First Grade
There's no international this year so it's not gonna affect there's place in the Samoan team if hes selected next year... That's why even Daniel Tupou is playing...
Yes, I’m coming from the angle that it is against what I believe Fittler has said in the past.
Luai is 100% within his rights to claim a spot.

Matua

Bench

Oh great, Junior Kiwi captain Luai is now a NSWelshmoan, I'm still unsure how he was ever a NZer, I assume (at least one of) his parents are NZ born Samoan.

Maybe I should be glad there's no international league this year as all teams are pretty much invitational these days.

RedVee

First Grade
Oh great, Junior Kiwi captain Luai is now a NSWelshmoan, I'm still unsure how he was ever a NZer, I assume (at least one of) his parents are NZ born Samoan.

Maybe I should be glad there's no international league this year as all teams are pretty much invitational these days.
Yes, from an article I read over the last week I’m sure they said he was born in NSW and one parent was born in NZ.
That’s my recollection anyway.

edit: correction, I think I found the article and it only says he is eligible for NSW but only if he chooses Samoa over NZ. Another article had Nathan Cleary saying Luai was Samoa focused.

Last edited:

Clarkent

Juniors
Samoan Team looking pretty solid next year
1 Milford
2 Nofoaluma
3 Hunt
4 Crichton
5 Too
6 Luai
7 CHT
8 Paulo
9 Levi
10 Papali'i
11 Faitala Mariner
12 Sua
13 Taupau

14 McGuire
15 Tino
16 Luciano Leilua
17 Tevaga

shinobi

Juniors
Samoan Team looking pretty solid next year
1 Milford
2 Nofoaluma
3 Hunt
4 Crichton
5 Too
6 Luai
7 CHT
8 Paulo
9 Levi
10 Papali'i
11 Faitala Mariner
12 Sua
13 Taupau

14 McGuire
15 Tino
16 Luciano Leilua
17 Tevaga

Now to find a coach like Woolfe that can mould that talent into a solid team.

Back to Luai i'm annoyed that fittler would pick him when he said he wanta to play for nz and/or samoa. Seems like origin is now being used to lock all these players into the aussie team. Evem though the kangaroos cant even be arsed playing a test some years.

Clarkent

Juniors
Now to find a coach like Woolfe that can mould that talent into a solid team.

Back to Luai i'm annoyed that fittler would pick him when he said he wanta to play for nz and/or samoa. Seems like origin is now being used to lock all these players into the aussie team. Evem though the kangaroos cant even be arsed playing a test some years.
Agree samoa has one of the most useless coach out there...

Clarkent

Juniors
Daniel Tupou has come out and said he's not committed to the kangaroos but he's happy to play Origin... Has the rules changed? Or is it only when the aussies feel like it?

RedVee

First Grade
Daniel Tupou has come out and said he's not committed to the kangaroos but he's happy to play Origin... Has the rules changed? Or is it only when the aussies feel like it?
I believe the rules changed. The Aussie only thing only applies to NZ and England players. All others can play for anyone and their Australian state (as long as they qualify for the state and the other country)

Clarkent

Juniors
I believe the rules changed. The Aussie only thing only applies to NZ and England players. All others can play for anyone and their Australian state (as long as they qualify for the state and the other country)
I just thought you had to commit to the kangaroos to play Origin and if you don't make it you can go back to the island teams... Hence why Fifita and Tupou pulled out before... But this is the first time I've heard of a player saying he's not committed to the kangaroos but happy to play origin instead before origin even started... Oh well good for Tupou and good for Tonga and samoa to see there players play on that level

Perth Tiger

Bench
I just thought you had to commit to the kangaroos to play Origin and if you don't make it you can go back to the island teams... Hence why Fifita and Tupou pulled out before... But this is the first time I've heard of a player saying he's not committed to the kangaroos but happy to play origin instead before origin even started... Oh well good for Tupou and good for Tonga and samoa to see there players play on that level

I believe on those occasions Tonga was playing at the same time as Origin (game 2 anyway) so it was more if they weren't going to commit for the full origin series they had to choose Tonga instead.

With no internationals this year they are free to play both

Clarkent

Juniors
Qld Forward Pack for game 2
8 Safiti :flag_fj:
10 Lui :flag_ws:
11 Kaufusi :flag_to:
12 Sua :flag_ws:
13 Faasuamaleaui :flag_ws:

Now that is one huge forward pack and a sign that state of origin is starting to look like state of the pacific :joy::joy::joy:

Matua

Bench
Qld Forward Pack for game 2
8 Safiti :flag_fj:
10 Lui :flag_ws:
11 Kaufusi :flag_to:
12 Sua :flag_ws:
13 Faasuamaleaui :flag_ws:

Now that is one huge forward pack and a sign that state of origin is starting to look like state of the pacific :joy::joy::joy:
Also you can add Sami (Samoa), Gagai (Maori -we're an Island in the Pacific ;)), Holmes (Cookie-Maori), Coates (PNG), and Moeaki Fotuaika (another prick who played for the Junior Kiwis and then switched to Origin. Tonga).

They should really just name them the PI XIII.

Clarkent

Juniors
Also you can add Sami (Samoa), Gagai (Maori -we're an Island in the Pacific ;)), Holmes (Cookie-Maori), Coates (PNG), and Moeaki Fotuaika (another prick who played for the Junior Kiwis and then switched to Origin. Tonga).

They should really just name them the PI XIII.
Never thought I'd see a all island qld Forward Pack... Wayne Bennett needs to coach samoa :joy:

Clarkent

Juniors
He basically coached the Kiwis to a WC win so hopefully he'd get Samoa humming and knocking over Tonga - as long as he doesn't start pinching our players. :)
You should be more worried about origin pinching kiwi players... Samoan players only play for Samoa if they don't make the kiwis but it looks like there's more choosing origin money over the kiwis and playing for the island nations instead...

Matua

Bench
You should be more worried about origin pinching kiwi players... Samoan players only play for Samoa if they don't make the kiwis but it looks like there's more choosing origin money over the kiwis and playing for the island nations instead...
Oh yeah, I definitely am annoyed about that. Kiwi-Samoans are pretty loyal to NZ, it's only really (now) dead to me Marty Taupau who has defected. ;)